Options

Typical Glycol Temp

Those of you that have digital Alde control panels (I don't), what is a typical glycol temp when the system is actively heating?
2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
Sequim, WA USA

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,597
    Alde Compact 3020 HE (Iwould assume the 3010 to be same)
    Technical Specifications {seen published in two different documents}

++  Max System Temperature176°F  [ 80°C ]
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @sequimite - I am searching the threads for the answer to the glycol temperature.  I believe that when the pump is not circulating the glycol and not heating the cabin, the base line glycol temp is 120 F.  Boosting the hot water (? Not available on the analog panel), results in Alde glycol temps of 150 F.  Most  owners focus on water temperature instead of glycol temps.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,205
    Just did an annual test on my Alde and with heating the hot water only the glycol temp was 156.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    Mine is normally in 150s. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    I have a 2015 with the Alde 3010, analog panel and no mixing valve. I tested my system a few years ago. Set for "hot water only" water comes out of the tap at ~153F. Set for "heat and hot water" water comes out of the tap at ~130F. These are consistent with the specs in the 3010 manual.
    This doesn't quite answer @sequimite's question, but it does suggest the glycol is heated to at least those temps when using those settings.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 356
    Because the boiler containers are concentric for the water and glycol, the temperatures are going to be close at the boiler. I thought the Alde web site said the boiler is governed to 184. I'm assuming that means if the temperature you set for the water doesn't stop the heat, then an additional temperature sensor will stop heating at the set maximum temperature (176 or 184). I don't think this is an operating temperature. I'm sure the safety cutoff is automated and independent from other temperature controls.

I'm betting the temperatures are different all over the loop. If you took the temperature in the jug, it would be really low due to poor circulation. The fluid in the radiators are constantly losing heat to the cabin. The highest point is probably inside the boiler.

The water temperature you select on the second line of the controller will change the glycol temperature. So will your choice of heat source. When heating water but the temp is turned down to disable the pump, the radiators are cold, at least the ambient temperature.

What are you trying to do? Just curious is a valid answer. I've been curious about a few things too.   ; )
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 55
    Hi @Mickerly. I'm validating that the alternate hose I have chosen to replace my convector hoses will take the heat.

I'm re-plumbing with 7/8" dishwasher drain hose. It has a maximum temp of 180 degrees, maximum pressure of 120 psi and is made of the same EPDM material as the original. It is readily available locally at a plumbing supply house and is only $3.08/foot -- less than half the price of automotive heater hose, less bulky and more flexible. I have not been able to get a price on the Alde hose, but UK sites suggest it's about £23/meter, though I found nobody that had it in stock. My manual says the boiler over-temp cutoff is 185 deg, so I doubt the glycol ever gets past 180. It would be an exceptional scenario in any case and since the pressure in the convector loop is near zero, it should work just fine.

I'll post somewhere on the forum once I have completed the reassembly.
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 356
    Good project.

I thought the maximum temperature was 184 or 185. I'm sure that is an emergency cutoff. That's why I suggested automotive heater hose. An engine coolant routinely is 210 to 220. Heater hose is pretty stiff. I guess you could use heater hose for the run from the boiler to the first radiator. Then switch to domestic water line. I'm sure there is more than 5 degrees drop across a radiator.

Let us know how it works out. Good luck.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"