Options

Leaking valve? 2022 TAB 400

I’ve just noticed a bit of water dripping from the bottom of the trailer. Tracked it back to this valve going to the Alde system. It looks this is the source since there is water around it but I’m not 100%. 
Anyone had a similar issue? What would be the best course of action here?

Comments

• Options
    SoCalEsbenSoCalEsben Member Posts: 42
    Another option could be that the Alde itself is leaking underneath. Not sure how likely that is. 
  • Options
    swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
    That valve appears to be a pressure relief valve, designed to open and drain water to reduce high pressure within the system.

If the leaking water is dripping out of the associated drain tube below the trailer, it’s possible that the valve is functioning properly.
    The valve on my trailer sometimes drips a little bit of water out of its drain tube when I turn on the Alde, causing the water to heat, expand and build pressure.

If the water leak originates elsewhere in the valve assembly, a different set of circumstances may be at play.

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited May 2023
    @SoCalEsben, can you describe whether you were using the Alde at the time you first noticed it leaking?  Was the water recently heated, creating pressure in the tank?  Keep in mind that you need to open the yellow flapper for about 10 seconds every 10 days (or less) to relieve pressure from the Alde tank and create an air cushion.  (See owner's manual.)  You might try opening the valve (but make sure all valves inside the trailer are "off", such as at the sink or shower) to relieve some pressure.  After doing that, wipe up the water around the yellow flapper and then run some hot water to see if it continues to leak.  If so, the issue is likely a defective valve.

Were you connected to a utility water source (e.g., at a campground or your house)?  If so, 
    did you have a a pressure regulator (40-50 PSI max) connected between the campground spigot and the trailer?  Without a pressure regulator, too much water pressure can be sent to the Alde tank and cause it to leak, particularly at the pressure relief valve, which would be doing what it is designed to do in that situation.  (Whether it would also leak inside the trailer due to unregulated pressure, I don't know - - - a leak inside would tend to indicate a faulty valve.)  NOTE:  The safety relief valve is designed to open at 50 PSI.

If you were using water from the fresh water holding tank, another possibility is the pressure setting on the ShurFlo water pump.  It may need to be adjusted.  There are discussions on the forum about how to do that.  (This issue seems less likely if you have not had previous issues while using the water pump.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Thanks for all the input and suggestions! 
    It’s a 2022 and we saw water in that same area about a year ago and then never since until now. Never figured out what happened back then.

This time we were hooked up to city water (always with a pressure regulator) and I think it was city water the last time too. 
    The Alde has been on for a few days, mainly for hot water. 
    I was not aware of the need to flip the release regularly. Maybe this is the issue. At least it would explain why the leak is not consistent. 

I’ll try and do some testing when we get home. Let me know if the added info changes anything. 

Thanks again!
  • Options
    jschmierjschmier Member Posts: 26
    Had a similar problem on my Alde relief valve- 2018 400.  Try flipping the valve open and close a couple times.  My valve had failed to seat properly and a small but constant drip occurred. I think I was too gentle. Now, I flip it back and forth a couple times whenever I close the valve and have not had the problem since.
    2018 T@B 400/solar/2022 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    As mentioned those valves are pressure relief valves. But they shouldn’t be opening for no reason. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Thanks. We're back home from the campsite and I'll start doing some testing tonight.

I also see I probably wasn't clear in my first post - there is a small water buildup around the valve and it ends up dripping under the trailer (that why I noticed it). So the water makes it's way to the side of the trailer and drips from the panels outside - so not where I would want water at any point.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    This appears to be leaking from one of the pex hose connections, hence the water inside, or is otherwise leaking from the valve body.  The first thing I would try, as mentioned above, is to pressurize your system and lift and lower the yellow lever a few times to actuate the valve.  That may reseal it if it's leaking from the valve body.

Can you get a good look at the side to see if there is a water drop below one of the pex  connections?  If so, that would likely require replacing the valve and having someone experienced with pex connections to do the replacement.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Thanks again for all the input. I finally had a chance to test it out connecting to city water. At that point the leak became very apparent!
    I was was way off with my initial suspicions- turned out it was a connection that was loose (see photo)and just needed tightening. I’m surprised that I didn’t get more water before because in my testing I saw 2-3 drops per second. So quite a bit. 

But all is fixed now. I’ll keep an eye on it but no more leak so far!