Options

Tire changing

BocfusBocfus Member Posts: 7
edited May 2023 in Trailer & Towing
Best place to put a jack In order to change the tire if and when I get a flat. Also, what’s the best Jack to use?

Comments

• Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 52
    Lots of options for jacks.  I use bottle jack so I have room to place a jack stand on the same steel plate recommended for jack placement.  See this thread for jack placement details
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8314/jacking-points-on-tab-320-and-400#latest

2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    A good quality floor jack is the safest and best jack to use to lift a trailer (or vehicle). 
    Scissor and bottle jacks are not as well suited for these tasks and especially if the ground under it is even slightly off level. They tip over. 
    If you choose to use one of these types of jacks, it would be wise to carry a one inch thick plywood base to put under them while you use them. Jack stands are another thing to have handy. 
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    Agree with the above.  We just carry a conversion socket so we can use our Highlander's jack and wrench.  It's worked fine the two times I've tried it.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    BocfusBocfus Member Posts: 7
    How does the spare tire come off on a 2022 T@B 320 S . Not a boondock?
  • Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    Not sure if this is wise, but it worked for me. Please feel free to tell me this was unwise if you have an opinion. You won't hurt my feelings!

I was on fairly level ground. I unhitched, but left the chains attached to TV, and pulled forward slightly to clear hitch and set parking brake. I lowered the front of the Tab 400 all the way down and then lowered the back stabilizers until they just made contact with the ground. I then raised the front of the Tab until the wheels were off the ground. I lowered the front stabilizers to give it stability, and then changed the tire. It worked for me. 
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    Oops. I just read some of the thread linked above. Others have used the three point lift safely. I did this with a 400 BDL and didn't need blocks. NuCamp does not recommend according to the thread.

2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 614
    That method is only allowed on the 320, at least it used to be.  You risk breaking or deforming the rear stabilizers on a 400.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I like to consider myself well-prepared, but last year when our T@B had a blowout, I still had a bit of a surprise when our jack would not fit underneath.  It was a fairly compact scissor jack from our Sienna, but there just wasn't enough space between the ground and the jacking support bar under the T@B frame.
    I recommend keeping one or two 2x8 pieces of lumber with you, and backup the flat tire onto that to get enough space to fit the jack underneath.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/188151/#Comment_188151

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    EclipseChaserEclipseChaser Member Posts: 4
    For the 320 Boondock, I see nothing wrong with using the rear stabilizers and tongue method.  Safe enough as supported at three points.  I understand that it is not recommended, and if working at home would jack it.  I'm not carrying an extra jack for a just in case scenario.  It will work; and many have done it in the past.  I haven't heard of any horror stories resulting.  Perhaps you have one, but "not recommended" doesn't qualify.  Easy, quick, and no chance of the jack slipping on uneven terrain, which is highly likely in a tire change situation on the road.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    This is the jack I carry for our 400.  It fits under the trailer in the proper location and it also fits fine in the exterior storage compartment.  And for a floor jack it is not too heavy at 20 lbs.  I also carry a few cut pieces of 2x6 in case they are needed.  

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-compact-trolley-jack-64874.html

For changing a tire think about not just the proper jack but also how you are going to remove the lug nuts.  Typically the lug nuts on the T@bs are torqued 90-100 ft lbs.  Make sure you can get them off with whatever tools you carry.  Last year I ran into a situation where I could not budge the lug nuts on my truck, factory torque specs is 98 ft lbs.  I'm sure they were over torqued by the dealer.  Luckily I was at my house and not stuck out in the middle of now where.  It is possible that the trailer lugs could be over torqued as well or just very hard to remove for some.  Anyway, I picked up a Ryobi impact wrench kit on sale for $99 and now carry it in the truck at all times.  Makes it much easier to get the lugs off the vehicles and the trailer.  I also throw it in the car if taking that on a long road trip.  Cheap insurance in my opinion.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    EclipseChaserEclipseChaser Member Posts: 4
    edited April 19
    Thanks for the good advice.  I would agree with the idea of perhaps wanting a proper jack for the substantially heavier T@B 400.  For the 320's I think that the rear stabilizers are fine for a tire change.  As for the subject of torquing by the dealers, the problem is that often times they don't "torque" them, they only tighten them.  And they often do so using an impact wrench at the same setting that they used to remove the lug nuts.  I have discovered the same problem with oil filter housings and drain plugs, which is why I now make the service managers write on the service order "hand torque only," and have them write in the torque specs that are designated by the manufacturer.  Once my free service with oil changes are finished on my vehicles, I don't allow a shop to do any of the work on my vehicle, especially oil changes.
    For my T@B I also carry a breaker bar with a proper short extension (necessary for clearance from the side of the wheel if I recall)  and socket for removing them.  Takes little room or weight.  I do not rely upon the wrench supplied as I have had trouble removing them with that. 
  • Options
    TacoDr1verTacoDr1ver Member Posts: 3
    Check out the 400 Boondock jack by Seabiscuit Metal Designs
  • Options
    How does that work and I can't find that any where on their website.
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    Here is another version of the same kind of jack. You place the notch under the axle and pull forward. The jack “ramps up” the axle as you pull forward. I’ve used these on straight axle trailers w leaf springs. I wonder how they would work on the Dexter torsion axle, what with all the warnings about never jacking on the axle itself. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    Yeah maybe not the best idea.  And I think it was not until the 2024 T@b 400 model year that the axle is exposed.  On our 2021 400 other years the axle is covered with the coroplast underbelly so that type of jack would not even work. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I can't see how this is any different than putting a jack under the axle. It may even be worse since it looks like the forces shift around as the device engages.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 354
    Dexter torque-flex axles are hollow tubes with the rubber suspension elements inside. You may find Dexter prohibits jacking by the axle tube. Be careful.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"