Options

How to empty and then refill Alde water boiler tank?

Is there an alde manual that discusses system maintenance?

My question is about the alse water boiling tank. How do I empty and then refill the tank?
How do I know if the alde tank is empty of full?

My understanding is that there is a yellow value that will drain the alde water boiler tank. After I drain the alde boiler and close the yellow value, will the boiler automatically refill?   

Thanks, 

Dan McGrath
2023 Tab 320S Boondock
Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    edited July 2023
    Hi,

You can find a copy of the Alde manual here:  Alde Manuals and Resources (vanillacommunity.com)

The tank is emptytied by pulling up on the yellow flapper valve.  You'll hear the water empty out.  It is refilled when you hook up via city water or your water tank.

There is no absolute way to know it's filled (sight glass or gage), but  you can hear it filling if you listen closely when you are hooked up to city water.  You can also quickly lift the yellow valve and release it,   if water begins to empty out you know its filled.

If your not aware, the yellow valve is under the middle driver side cushion, near the Alde.  

The maintenace is to change your glycol every two years (very important),  occsassionally check the tank level (located behind the toilet..remove the 3 or 4 screws and remove access panel).   Check with Alde off and cold.  The high/low indicator might be on the back of the tank and be difficult to see.  The first time you check, many use a mirror and mark the front of the tank with the levels.  Don't overfill, in the middle is fine as the height will go up as the fluid heats up and circulates.  The only other thing is when you winterize, do make sure you empty the tank and bypass the Alde if using antifreeze.  There are some very good instructions also located here  Winterizing Manuals (vanillacommunity.com)    Best wishes... 

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    To fill the hot water tank, open the hot water faucet. When the water stops sputtering and spitting, the hot water tank is full. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,679
    The Alde tank can be "almost" emptied with the cold water low point drain, also.  Here is one discussion.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    @danmcgrath2014 - it is easiest (faster) to fill the Alde tank when your Nautilus is set up for City Water.  As Mona noted, just open a hot tap which allows water to flow into the tank via the cold water line that enters the bottom of the tank.  You will notice air and sputtering until the tank fills.  You can fill the tank when in Camping Mode using the water pump, but then, you deplete your fresh water supply by about 3 gallons.  When we know we will be dry camping, we always hook up to city water at home and fill the plumbing lines and Alde tank, then we fill the fresh tank at the campsite.  When you empty the Alde tank with winterization, I suggest placing a bucket under the outlet that is directly under the yellow flapper valve, then measure.  It should be close to 2.5 gallons.  It also helps to have the tongue up to optimize tank drainage.

Be aware that the Alde hot water tank requires an air cushion to temper any water hammering and protect the system.

From the Alde manual:  

AIR CUSHION
    The hydronic heating system is designed to have an air space, called an air cushion, at the top of the tank. This air cushion is essential for absorbing pressure surges in the hydronic heating system. Always renew the air cushion in the hydronic heating system after 10 days of use.  This can be done by opening the safety/drain valve on the hydronic heating system for a few seconds.  The air cushion allows expansion to take place and helps protect the hydronic heating system against pressure surges from the water pump.

NOTICE
    To maintain the air cushion, the hot water tank should be emptied approximately once a week to help ensure that a new air cushion is formed in the hydronic heating system.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    danmcgrath2014danmcgrath2014 Member Posts: 12