Options

No PV voltage coming from solar controller

2»

Comments

• Options
    ColMagColMag Member Posts: 16
    I was referencing the VictronConnect Solar Controller screen capture above from the OP. If a shunt was attached then an alternate VictronConnect screen showing the shunt, would show resultant current in/out from the battery.
  • Options
    Mostly agreed, Yoshi_TAB, if battery switch is off. Even the controller uses a tiny bit of power though, even if the battery switch is off, but I'm not positive it's enough to register on the Renogy system.

Thanks for pointing to the VictronConnect 5V-above video, it's been a while since I've seen it, and a good reminder. Another important point in the video... Go for 2 smaller solar panels (in SERIES) instead of 1 larger one, so that the voltage is additive, so you get to that 5V-above faster, earlier in the day. I think most of the suitcases come with 2 but they are wired parallel, not in series.

And the suitcases usually have PWM controllers attached, not MPPT controllers like the Victron which convert excess voltage into more charging current. I just got an extra Victron controller to convert my suitcase. I just finished adding a shunt. Lots of fun!
  • Options
    I'll modify that...I said "another important point in the video", but it's not an important point, just a point. It may not matter very much...I just like to learn and tinker, Lol
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    This is what I'm going with for the comment about whether or not the "current" number in the battery section can denote what is being drawn from the battery.  Page 36 of the Victron SmartSolar manual that describes the status screen.  I would suppose if there was solar coming in and the draw on the battery was higher than the solar input, the number would be negative.
    And, honestly: I've rattled on about this so much recently I'm not sure what I know anymore!

Solar
    • The solar gauge shows the solar output in relation to the maximum output power that the solar charger can generate at the set
    battery voltage and displays the dynamic real-time value of the solar array output power.
    • The solar voltage measured at the solar terminals of the solar charger.
    • The solar current flowing from the PV array into the solar charger.
    Battery
    • The battery voltage measured at the battery terminals of the solar charger.
    • The current flowing from the solar charger in or out of the battery. A positive notation indicates that current is flowing into the
    battery and a negative notation indicates that current is being drawn from the battery.
    • The battery state indicates the battery charge stage or if external control is active. These are the possible

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi, 

I see that statment, but how I read it is...it's only the   current flowing from the battery to the solar controller (either direction). Not the current flow of all the DC systems, which the Renogy or other shunts track, which in this particular case is 3.24

But I could be wrong....
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    skyoteskyote Member Posts: 29
    I just got back from some appointments.  Today is mostly cloudy here, but now solar is charging. ??  

2021 T@B 320S Boondock
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    Yoshi_TAB said:
    Hi, 

I see that statment, but how I read it is...it's only the   current flowing from the battery to the solar controller (either direction). Not the current flow of all the DC systems, which the Renogy or other shunts track, which in this particular case is 3.24

But I could be wrong....
    Well, yes and no :) The Victron MPPT charger has the capability to track how much energy goes from the battery to the load(s) *but* only if the load is connected to the solar controller. The picture from the OP shows nothing connected to the LOAD terminal on the controller so it purely acts as a charger and can only track how much power goes from the panel to the battery. 

The battery itself can track both incoming and outgoing current so there is no need for an additional shunt-style monitor. 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    edited July 2023
    skyote said:
    I just got back from some appointments.  Today is mostly cloudy here, but now solar is charging. ??  

Yes. At some point the voltage from your solar panel (17.70v) was 5v higher than the voltage of your battery (12.92v or maybe 10.99v from the day before), and that kicked the solar controller into action even though the panel is only getting 10Wh. If you can get some sun on the panel it will start charging a lot faster. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    I really appreciate the nuances but as far as I know, none of the NuCamp Victron setups use the Load terminals, so the controllers don't know other loads.
    Looks like the charging is now working, barely,  from a very low solar voltage, but it's cloudy, so ok. Need more sun to confirm 🌞
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Success..seems to be working. But barely as you say.  Hopefully a good sunny day will confirm.  A lot of good info on this thread to learn from for all.

Agree with the no load....in the picture, the OPs Load Output state is ON.  Mine shows off.  Probably doesn't make a difference, but it's different then my setup.  Just an observation.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    The "Load Terminals" or the "Load Output".  Unless something has been wired in and set up to use the "Load Terminals" (another 12V device) and you haven't run through the "Streetlight Settings"......then they are not using any power at all.
    The manual again about "Load Output Settings".

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I now have full sun on the panels and the pv voltage ranges from 25-57w. What  should I expect on a sunny day?

2021 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Hi,

It really depends on the time of year, sun angle, amount of sunshine, panel angle etc.  On a "good day" a 105 watt panel can produce about 375 watt hour (Wh), +/- with all the conditions. 

That equates to about 31.25 amp hour (Ah).       

Wh= Volts (12 in this case) x Ah  

so Ah = Wh/12V or 375 Wh/12V =31.25 Ah you can generate in a day.  Math =  :o  

So if your usage is beyond that, you see how you fall behind.  Or if your usage is lower, you keep up.  Here is a good video to watch.  What can I power with a 100W solar panel? - YouTube

Here is a write up I did on how you can find out how much avg Wh you should get in your particular area for each part of the year.

Guestimating Solar production (vanillacommunity.com)
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    @Yoshi_TAB, I hate to be a stickler, and most people here probably know the difference already, but for any future readers that don't, I think those units should be 375 Wh (Watt hour), and 31.25 Ah (Amp hour) over a good day. Otherwise straight Watts and Amps are more like real time instantaneous measurements, without a duration.
    Happy solar charging!
  • Options
    Yes, your spot on.  Thank you.  I've updated my post.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @skyote Also depends on your latitude and direction the panel is facing. The further north of the equator you are, the harder it is to collect adequate energy. The roof of a Tab is curved, which means the panel will never reach its peak potential due to the angle anyway, so that’s another possible reason for lower than expected numbers. But I’ll note that you said earlier the panel was facing north, which is quite literally the least productive direction it could be in. Face the trailer south in full sun and those numbers will likely rise.

(This is one major reason why even those who have roof mounted solar often buy a portable setup: you can’t always position the trailer to take advantage of optimal solar conditions, while a portable panel is easy to move.)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP - I agree.  Today I looked back in my history to the last high rate of solar charge which was 11 days ago, when I was travelling back from a lake and driving south.  That was when I still had a lead acid battery, but it makes perfect sense.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    @skyote How’s it looking now?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Marceline - very strange.  It seems to be working fine today.  After powering up the DC charger yesterday, the battery came up to 85% and the solar brought it up to 94%.  The trailer is sitting in the same orientation with clear skies as before.  This is a current snapshot.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    skyote said:
    Marceline - very strange.  It seems to be working fine today.  After powering up the DC charger yesterday, the battery came up to 85% and the solar brought it up to 94%.  The trailer is sitting in the same orientation with clear skies as before.  This is a current snapshot.

Glad to hear it seems to be working. You might want to check the battery voltage again at night with no power going in or out of the battery just to be sure. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    I didn't notice anyone ask what solar panels you are using. Aare these stock on the t@b, or an external set? The voltage out is not the same for all arrangements.
    73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    KK1L The stock panel is what I'm using.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    captaincringecaptaincringe Member Posts: 1
    I've been charging it constantly giving 5+V. But it is not charging fast though is it familiar or it is an issue with my machine?
    Captain Cringe Is Here. :)
  • Options
    Hi

Can you take a screen shot of the status page and post.  That would be helpful.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland