Options

Leaking Alde fluid

I think I know the answer to my problem and I think it’s bad but I am hoping someone can offer a more optimistic analysis of my problem.

After a year of inactivity I wanted to take my 2017 320s for a weekend of camping. I checked to be sure all valves were set correctly, filled the fresh water tank, turned on the pump and started to check for any leaks when I heard water streaming underneath the camper. I saw green colored water (glycol) streaming from a drain on driver side behind the wheel. I opened the Alde compartment and saw green water flowing through the clear plastic tubing. I then opened the panel to the  Glycol reservoir and saw that the reservoir was full to the top, I thought that was strange since I always maintained it at the Max level line. I pumped out some of the fluid and when I turned the water pump back on I saw the reservoir fill up again. I did that couple more times with the same result. Any thoughts?

2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,303
    edited August 2023
    Any chance water froze in the hot water tank or possibly not maintaining the air cushion caused it to rupture?

• AIR CUSHION
    The hydronic heating system is designed to have an air space, called an air cushion, at the top of the tank. This air cushion is essential for absorbing pressure surges in the hydronic heating system. Always renew the air cushion in the hydronic heating system after 10 days of use.

This can be done by opening the safety/drain valve on the hydronic heating system for a few seconds.

The air cushion allows expansion to take place and helps protect the hydronic heating system against pressure surges from the water pump.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @AnOldUR the system was winterized before last winter and I have been trying to maintain it per Alde’s recommendation. In either case a rapture could explain why water is getting into the glycol part of the system. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,702
    The "green plastic tubing" is either for the glycol tank overflow, or, the Alde Auto Air Bleeder valve.  Look closely at the clear plastic tubes: which tube is the glycol coming from? 
    Your glycol is practically 50 percent water to start with, so what may look like water may just be glycol.
    What you are describing is odd, though.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 It is the tube that comes from the area of the expansion reservoir and goes into the area in the floor where I saw the glycol streaming out. It appears to be an overflow tube. What I saw coming was Glycol, I smelled it and felt it. I just found a post describing a similar situation and it confirms my fear that there is a hole between the water and the glycol jackets inside Alde.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,702
    Have you tried running the Alde or running the glycol pump?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 I did run the pump and it appeared to be running fine but I was afraid of turning on Alde
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,031
    It sounds like the the water tank on the Alde cracked and the water is mixing with the glycol.  I hope that's not the case but it sure sounds like it from your description. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    @bergger from what I have been reading I am afraid that’s what it is. I’ve been conscientious about winterizing every fall but the camper is 6 years old so maybe there is corrosion. Whatever the cause I am sure it will be expensive to replace the Alde unit. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Follow up on my original post. I had the Alde boiler replaced. I took back the old boiler and took it apart to see if I could find out what happened. The problem is a failed weld between the glycol and the water chamber. This appears to be in exactly the same spot as reported by another owner @fineline72 so it is not an isolated incident. It was an expensive replacement. If it is a known issue I hope it will be addressed by Truma (Alde). 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,218
    Just read that other thread where @fineline72 had the same issue. Gonna be a long winter wait for us to see if our tank is ok. No reason to believe anything is wrong but I wonder what is causing the leak. Is it just a bad weld from the factory?

How much water remains in the Alde after draining it through the yellow valves?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    2Campingfools2Campingfools Member Posts: 3
    @webers3 well looks like this has happened to me as well. I have a 2021 320CSS and am faced with a 3020 replacement. I hoping I can just purchase the tank and replace rather than buying a new boiler. How much did it cost?
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I did quite a bit of research on Alde issues a while back. At the time, you could buy what was called the "boiler core"... but only in Europe, and only as part of a professional service call. Not sure if things have changed, but my impression remains that a leaking core calls for a total replacement of the unit. Hopefully someone else can confirm or refute.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    2Campingfools2Campingfools Member Posts: 3
    UPDATE: disassembled the ALDE and found a pinhole leak at one of the manufacturing welds in the heat exchanger. There was absolutely no corrosion in the tank. This is clearly a manufacturing flaw, but I'm out of warranty. Took it down and had the welder TIG weld the hole and all is good. Between the welding and new glycol I'm in about 200 bucks cost and two days of work.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    edited February 11
    @2Campingfools, thank you for the update. You are only the second owner (that I'm aware of) who has successfully repaired leaks in the boiler core.
    With the earliest Alde-equipped T@Bs (mine included) now passing the ten-year mark, I suspect this may become a more common topic of discussion. It's good to know there are alternatives to a very pricey full replacement.
    2015 T@B S