Options

Busted Tougue Jack - Need Help

dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
Ok, bear with me.  Recently when I was leaving my driveway with the T@b in tow, I hit a low spot and dug the jack post into the concrete. I think this might have bent the post a little. Today I was trying to straighten the post a little and I put a little too much pressure on the handle (trying to raise the post)  and snapped the wire cable inside the post. The handle now just pulls completely out of the crank hole.

Has this happened to anyone and what was the fix? Do I need to order another tongue jack assembly from nuCamp? I now need to go out and figure out how to get the coupler off of my TV. Probably will use the TV jack to raise the coupler off the hitch ball.  Thanks!  Dave

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Oh dear. *Some* of the tops of the jacks can be removed. My 2015 didn't have removable screws, but other people had them and could modify the handle position. 

I can't give you a @Pop-T@B genius DIY solution. He'd be one source of a homemade fix (some others will chime in too). If it were me, I'd replace the entire jack. It's just 3 bolts and jacks aren't very pricey. I've always had good luck with customer service when unsure of sizes or getting specs from etrailer.com. I've had a tech go and measure something for me because those particular specs weren't included in the description.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    nüCamp can ship you one, but it may be less expensive in shipping look locally for a replacement. That will be your decision. 

If you take the tongue jack off, you'll be able to measure it for a replacement. 

If you have a sturdy jack stand and a scissor or bottle jack, you can get the coupler off your vehicle. Put the jack stand (or sturdy wood blocks) under your tongue, AFTER you put chocks on your T@B tires. Use the jack to raise the tongue until it comes off your tow vehicle. Then, either lower your tongue or put more sturdy wood under it to keep it higher, and then remove the jack. Put your stabilizers down to keep it steady. 

Yes, I bent my Silver Shadow's tongue jack, but I'm not as strong as you so it didn't break when I pulled it back almost in place ;)

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    See? V knew that the best, less complicated way would be to order the original equipment replacement with from NüCamp. No measuring.

And yes, I bend the jack holding pin on my pop-up's swing-up jack. Not a hard thing to happen!! That fiasco was brought to you by carelessness and a non-thorough newbie last-walkaround inspection protocol. Your issue isn't neglect... gonna have to mark that spot in the driveway - or get a cool motorized trailer mover (don't look at the prices).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Grab a "jack e up" install it on the new over the counter assembly and quickly pull the entire jack out to avoid doing it again. Teardrop shop here stocks them.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Is yours a NuCamp trailer or a Dutchman?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options

Is yours a NuCamp trailer or a Dutchman?

2017 NuCamp.  Do you know the specs on the trailer jack? Think I'm going to need to order another one.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    What you  probably broke was the role pin that secured the drive gear to the crank. A new pin can obtained at your local hardware store. Remove the metal cover on top for access. See photo
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    When you drug the jack was it extended or fully retracted? Was the dolly wheel on or off?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited April 2017

What you  probably broke was the role pin that secured the drive gear to the crank. A new pin can obtained at your local hardware store. Remove the metal cover on top for access. See photo

Great photo, Dale. I hear my crank periodically pop when cranking up to a height to put on the weight distribution arms and am wondering if I'm popping over one of the gears.
  • Options

When you drug the jack was it extended or fully retracted? Was the dolly wheel on or off?

The jack was fully retracted. No dolly wheel. Since then I haven't been able to fully retract the jack and have had to use my car jack to raise the front up enough to get the dolly wheel on.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    I'm also beginning to wonder if I didn't have the jack post fully retracted when I scraped it across the concrete. Well, everyone does say that this is all a learning experience. I'm sure finding that out!  :)

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    I did something very similar. It only damaged the end where I could not get the dolly wheel to go on. In my case I was able to cut off about 3" and that worked. You might give that a try.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Dalehelman  Thanks for your help and thanks to everyone else for your suggestions. After considering replacing the roll pin and then still having to deal with the bent post, I decided to check with nuCamp on a new assembly. It's only $29.70 to replace the assembly minus the jockey wheel. I'm not the most mechanical person, so this seems like the best fix for me. I've learned yet another lesson in my continuing T@b saga. Always be sure the jack is fully retracted before pulling the camper and watch out for those low spots!   Dave

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Sounds like a fair price.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    My jack handle broke this weekend, as I was unhitching from my very first outing. I had retracted it all the way up while hitching, wheel removed. It didn't drag on anything. When I went to crank it down to unhitch, the handle didn't want to move in either direction. I applied more force and it busted, swinging freely and I could pull the handle out. Thank you @Dalehelman for the picture so now I can see what broke. Thankfully I had been using my TV bottle jack to weigh the tongue this week (I had never used it previously), so used that to unhitch without issue. I could attach the wheel and I put a leveling pad under it in case the jack or trailer moved it wouldn't go far. Plus four chocks and stabilizers. My trailer is at the dealer for a new BAL Jack post now.

Here's the question...why did this happen?! How do I avoid it again? I can only think I tightened the jack post up too tight??

Thank you
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Take the metal cover on the top of the jack off. You should be able to see what broke. My guess is the roll pin that secured gear to the crank handle worked its way out. Not a common problem. If it were to happen again remove the cover to see what is causing the problem.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @Dalehelman thanks. Trailer is at the dealer for a new jack. I'm thinking the pin actually broke. I didn't even see the cover could come off! So I've learned something. So you think this was a fluke? Maybe from now on, I won't wind up the post so completely. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    JimEngelJimEngel Member Posts: 45
    My solution is to fold it out of the way:

• Options
    My problem was also a busted roll pin. I just turned that crank a little too hard. You just need to crank until it stops and then no more. Replacing the assembly was a piece of cake.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Those roll pins can be purchased at most Ace hardware store, and are easy to replace. The size is 5/32”x1”. You need a hammer and suitable punch or (nail) to drive out old pin.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    On the newer T@bs, these are super easy to replace. It was the first repair I had to do! Three bolts, and put the new one (under $50 on Amazon.)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    The roll pin costs about 25 cents.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    bern64bern64 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you @Dalehelman for your input on the Busted Tongue post.  Last week, within days of purchasing a 2020 T@B 400, I broke the pin by over extending the crank handle.   I followed your guidance and replaced the pin.  I found that a 5/32"  x 1-1/2'' tension pin from Rural King was the correct size for my BAL tongue jack.  ~Bernadette

Bernadette / 2020 (8/2019) T@B 400 BD / 2023 Honda Ridgeline / St. Louis region

• Options
    Wow that post go back a few years. So glad the post served its purpose.
    Travel safe 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun