Options

Outdoor Shower Enclosure Mod

Start of my outdoor shower mod.  The stainless steel curtain rod has a center sleeve so that it will break down to fit in a 12x12x45" stuff bag with curtain and shower accessories. It uses 2 suction cups and a keder rail strap. I'm learning how to use a serger so I can custom fit curtains. This doesn't block any operable windows. I'm hoping it is "T@B Cute" enough to just leave up while camping. 
Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    edited January 20
    That looks very nice @YanniLazarus! I tried a couple of versions of this, but was never happy with my results. My take on it was a little too awkward to setup and the curtain not stable enough. Yours looks like it will not have the same problems. I like the way you used the keder rail to stabilize the rod. Looking forward to seeing your completed project.

After giving up on the project, we bought one of the stand alone shower tents. That worked, but was even more of a PITA to setup. As a project this winter, I added a tent directly to the side of our T@B. Haven't had the chance to field test it yet, but it sets up and packs back really easy. What I like better about yours is that it doesn't block the large side window. I couldn't find a way to attach the Joocla high and forward enough without the porthole window getting in the way of the mounting bracket. Hoping where I put it won't be a ventilation problem on hot days .

edit to ask if anyone wants to buy a pop-up shower tent? =)
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/17881/outdoor-shower-tent-changing-room-50#latest

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    @anOldUR, I always feel like I get to stand on your shoulders. Thanks for leading the way and making me think. 

I'll keep you all posted... at this point all looks good and this is becoming my favorite mod! 
  • Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    @YanniLazarus: that looks great. Where did you get that half circle curtain rod?
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    edited January 20
    ... Thanks for leading the way and making me think.
    One of the great things about this forum is the collaboration. It's safe to say that none of the mods I've done are original. Can only hope that my additions to the idea help others.

Like @ckjs, I'm curious about your half circle curtain rod also. One of my attempts was to take fiberglass tent poles and flex them in an arc to accomplish what your solid rod does. Since they'd straighten out when released, storage was easier than my boxy attempt. It almost worked, but lacked the rigidity I was looking for.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Rod comes from (drum roll)  Amazon.  I ditched the hardware and rube Goldberged the center mating sleeve, and the suction cup fasteners. If anyone actually wants to duplicate I love sharing...
  • Options

• Options
    This is the pvc pipe I used for the suction cup ends and the 4" center union. I put the center union in boiling water to soften and slide onto the curved section. 
  • Options
    edited January 21
    And these are the suction cups... I used super glue to attach them to the pvc pipe, then a self tapping screw to fasten to both to the rod.  Note the chamfer on the pvc pipe top edge - it helps hold the curtain rod in place when closed. The little raised post knob on the suction cup makes removal easier. 

• Options
    edited January 21
    And I used this pin to hold the loose half of the curtain rod in place. The other half of the curtain rod is permanently fastened to the central pvc pipe with a self tapping screw which also holds the 1" strap in place. 

• Options
    edited January 21
    I used this strap hardware.  The strap is wrapped around a 1/4" rod to make the keder rail insert.  I set a screw stop in the Keder rail on the lower (front) end to keep the insert from sliding down out of place when in use. 

• Options
    More pictures to follow after I shorten curtains to fit. Note that I cut the curtain rod at the center on about a 30 degree angle to help with alignment when assembling. 
  • Options
    ... and it all fits in this:

• Options
    ... and, curtains cut to size and it works! These are NOT glamour shots...

• Options
    edited January 24
    That looks great and very functional.
    Wish I had seen it before spending cash on the Joocla. :s
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    You guys have done a terrific job on your outdoor shower mods.  But why an outdoor shower when there is a perfectly functional one inside the trailer?  Not being mean here.  Just curious.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    I love shower water going into the ground instead of my grey water tank... and an outdoor shower is about as close to the thrill of skinny dipping as I'm likely to get at my age. And, while I use the indoor shower on occasion, I don't think of it as a glorious experience. 
  • Options
    edited January 24
    Tabaz said:
    ... why an outdoor shower when there is a perfectly functional one inside ...
    Don't know about @YanniLazarus, but for me it's all about space. At 6' tall, standing in the 320 bath is a challenge and sitting to shower does not appeal to me. In three seasons and lots of miles, I've yet to use the indoor shower. We've either used a shower tent or just worn a swim suit and hosed off with the outdoor shower. Coming form tent camping, it's still a luxury we never had.

Maybe I'm just too lazy to do the cleanup and fear the potential for water damage that would be part using the wet bath. :o

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    OK, got it.  We had a very successful car dealership owner in Phoenix named Tex Earnhardt ("This Ain't no Bull"), who showered every day using an outside garden hose regardless of the ambient temperature.  BTW, Tex was a tall guy, but could afford a tall indoor shower.  Thanks for your responses.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    HedCountHedCount Member Posts: 20
    well done!
    2023 TAB 400, towed by 2001 Ford f-150 Supercrew XLT 5.6 liter v8
  • Options
    Thanks, @HedCount. About to leave for a week long trip and intend to give it a good test- and get some better photos.