Options

Adding Trailer Hitch To 2006 Suzuki To Pull 2017 T@B 320S

SunfellowSunfellow Member Posts: 28
I recently purchased a 2017 T@B 320S and need to add a trailer hitch to my 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara which is able to tow about 3,000 lbs.

Can someone tell me how to best proceed? I've located a trailer hitch on Amazon that is custom-made for my car, and a simple universal 2" trailer hitch mount, but my understanding is that I need a wiring system that is able to activate and control both the lights AND the braking mechanism on the 320S. Is there a simple way to add everything I need? 

I received an estimate from a local RV dealer that it would cost $1,369.00 for them to install a trailer hitch, including the hitch receiver, wiring harness, brake controller, wiring harness, etc. This seems excessive to me. Is there a less expensive way to proceed without cutting any corners?

Thanks for your help. This is my first post on this forum. I look forward to being a part of this helpful, thriving community...
David Sunfellow
2022 T@B 320-S Boondock "@ngel"
Sedona Arizona

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    Do you have any idea if the vehicle might already have some wiring set up for this?  It may have been an option in those years of Suzuki's, but instead of leaving a simple harness out of the vehicle, it was just part of the standard equipment, just laying there dormant.  (This is a wild guess).
    The wiring you need is for a "brake controller" and a "charge line".  When you tap the brakes while driving, the charge line and brake controller will send a signal to a "7 pin connector" that attaches the vehicle to the trailer, and activates the trailer's electric brakes and lights, etc.  If the wiring is properly set up, you may have enough of a charging capacity to actually charge the battery while you drive.   (There are many variables on "charging while driving".)
    You have more options than just an RV dealer for this type of work: a utility trailer business may be able to do it, so don't limit your search to just "RV" places.  Some owners have used places like UHaul for this type of work, but the reviews are hit or miss.  So, there are options, shop around.
    Other sources for info about practically any vehicle in existence these days are Forums, just like this one, that focus on specific vehicles.  The search below was for "Suzuki Grand Vitara Forums" and there were lots of returns for that type of vehicle.  You may learn quite a lot from other Vitara owners.
    PS: Welcome to the Forums!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    pthomas745. Much appreciated!
    David Sunfellow
    Sedona Arizona
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    @Sunfellow;  welcome to the TAB Family.  Great little trailers.

Your Suzuki is not really built for towing so the quote you received does not seem that outrageous as there will be a lot of Labor Billing and several parts.

The Suzuki will need in addition to the Tow Bar Receiver/Hitch:
    -=-  Wire from battery to rear bumper
    -=-  Special wire harness installed to transfer the lights to the trailer
    -=-  A 4-pin to 7-pin convertor (as special harness is only a 4-pin)
    -=-  And a brake controller . . . I'd suggest a wireless like the Curt Echo

As for actual towing with the Suzuki.  You will be at the limit for the vehicle so do plan your routes/speeds and vehicle/trailer loading.  For example the TAB maximum weight rating is 2900# . . . not highway towing with the water/waste tanks full and not over packing for the trip, the on-the-road weight could be several hundred pounds lighter.

Typical 2006 Grand Vitara numbers are:
    =-=  Max Trailer weight:   3,000#   (trailer brakes required)
    =-=  GCWR:  7,500#    (Suzuki and trailer combined weight)
    =-=  GVWR:  4,630#     (maximum Suzuki can carry including fuel)
    =-=  Curb Weight:  3,582#  (includes fuel)
    =-=  Payload, Cargo+Passengers:  1048#  Best Case

For Actual Payload, subtract the trailer towing hardware (35#) and trailer tongue weight (~260#)
    so you, your passengers, and all the stuff in the Suzuki must be <= 750 pounds.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MuttonChops! Just what I needed! Thank you so much for taking the time to locate the graphic and spell everything out so clearly for me. Outstanding! Thank you! 
    David Sunfellow
    Sedona Arizona
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @Sunfellow (and @MuttonChops) I am the original owner of my 2017 320S and it’s a great model year! Sometime after 2017 NuCamp took a current model and filled it up for a trip, including gear, and also filled all three tanks completely full. It weighed in at 1986 pounds. Later model years were heavier than ours. Enjoy your Tab, and be mindful of your vehicle limitations. There are a number of Tabbers who have the same tow capacity. You may need to drive slower than you would like, but you want to be safe on the road, and not burn out your transmission. Welcome to the NuCamp family!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited February 29
    Sometime after 2017 NuCamp took a current model and filled it up for a trip, including gear, and also filled all three tanks completely full. It weighed in at 1986 pounds. 
    This seems very unlikely as the published dry weight is ~1850 pounds.
    Most folks will find that adding up the weight of everything that did not come from the factory with the trailer and tow vehicle will easily exceed 500 pounds.  Add driver and passenger and it will be difficult not to exceed rated capacities.  Anything being operated at or near it's maximum capacity has to be handled very carefully, requires constant attention, and is constantly at risk of unanticipated situations putting everyone and everything at risk.  IMO this added stress and safety compromise takes a lot of pleasure out traveling.
    Be careful.  Stay situation aware.  Have fun...

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @rfuss928, the stated dry weight on my 2017 320S is 1670#. Later models are heavier. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited March 1
    Homebodyatheart
    I have taken my 2009 CS to the local scale several times to satisfy curiosities and, in preparation for a floor replacement,  removed and weighed everything that was in our "ready to travel" trailer.  I speak from experience and actual measurements. 
    The 200 pound difference you mention (published info varies) really doesn't change the fact that the OP will end up with a TV/trailer package that is dangerously close to, likely exceeding MAXIMUM rated capacity.  Probably okay for short local utility trailer chores but not a good condition for long distance, highway travel with a high profile travel trailer.
    Many long time forum members have related much improved towing experiences when they upgraded to a higher capacity TV from small marginally capable vehicles. 
    Can the set up work?  Sure, with care and experience.  In almost all cases, these inquiries are from inexperienced new trailer owners looking for safety based recommendations.
    IMO - Suggesting a marginally adequate, possibly inadequate TV will be fine is a disservice to them and the other motorists they encounter.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4748/how-much-stuff-do-you-carry-in-your-t-b-cargo-weights

• Options
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. Very helpful!
    David Sunfellow
    Sedona Arizona
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    @rfuss928 is spot on to draw attention to the marginality of the GV relative to the task. Approaching or exceeding tow limits is not to be trifled with. Marginal towing can be dangerous.
    WRT the vehicle, the GV may be a candidate for a transmission cooler to prevent the thing from burning up in the Sedona heat.
    WRT @MuttonChops suggestion to consider the Echo wireless controller....hmmm. First, there is not a consensus that a wireless controller is a defacto choice. Many of us prefer a simpler, less costly and arguably more reliable hard wired controller that does not require agonizing interface with other devices and an extra unit in the TV. Then, presuming a choice to use a wireless unit, the Curt unit may or may not be one to select. You should spend a few minutes looking at the related discussions on this forum. Use the search feature. You will find that the Curt is not a consistently recommended piece of kit.