Options

Differences Between The 2021 & 2022 T@B 320-S Boondock?

SunfellowSunfellow Member Posts: 28
edited March 30 in Modifications & Upgrades
Does anyone know what the differences are between a 2021 & 2022 T@B 320-S Boondock? I'm looking for a list of some kind, perhaps a side-by-side comparison that itemizes what is the same and different between these two model years. I asked an AI (artificial intelligence) engine called Groq -- https://groq.com/ -- for this information and here is what it said (all the AI engines I use these days make mistakes, sometimes real whoppers, so I don't trust what Groq has to say until it has been verified by humans):

Question: What is the difference between a 2021 and 2022 nuCamp T@B 320-S Boondock teardrop trailer?

Answer: The 2022 nuCamp T@B 320-S Boondock teardrop trailer has several updates and improvements compared to the 2021 model. Here are some of the key differences:

Exterior: The 2022 T@B 320-S Boondock features a new, more rugged exterior design with a powder-coated, corrosion-resistant frame and a new, textured aluminum skin. The new design gives the trailer a more modern and upscale look, while also improving its durability and longevity.

Suspension: The 2022 T@B 320-S Boondock has an upgraded suspension system with independent, dual-rate leaf springs and gas-charged shock absorbers. The new suspension system provides a smoother and more stable ride, even on rough or uneven terrain.

Electrical System: The 2022 T@B 320-S Boondock has an upgraded electrical system with a 30-amp power converter, a 1,000-watt pure sine wave inverter, and a lithium-ion battery bank. The new electrical system provides more power and versatility, allowing you to run more appliances and devices for longer periods of time.

Plumbing System: The 2022 T@B 320-S Boondock has an upgraded plumbing system with a new, larger freshwater tank, a new, more efficient water pump, and a new, high-output water heater. The new plumbing system provides more water capacity and faster hot water recovery, making it easier to stay comfortable and clean on the road.

Interior: The 2022 T@B 320-S Boondock has a redesigned interior with new, more durable materials and finishes. The new interior features a new, more functional galley kitchen, a new, larger dinette, and a new, more comfortable bed. The new interior also has more storage space, better lighting, and a more modern and cohesive design.

Overall, the 2022 nuCamp T@B 320-S Boondock teardrop trailer has several improvements and updates compared to the 2021 model, making it a more capable and comfortable RV for off-grid and boondocking adventures.
David Sunfellow
2022 T@B 320-S Boondock "@ngel"
Sedona Arizona

Comments

• Options
    edited March 30
    P.S. Here's how X's Grok (not to be confused with Groq) answered this question:

My Question: What is the difference between a 2021 and 2022 nuCamp T@B 320-S Boondock teardrop trailer?

Grok Answer: The 2021 and 2022 nuCamp T@B 320-S Boondock teardrop trailers have a few differences:

Exterior:
    The 2022 model has a more aggressive off-road style with larger tires, a pitched axle, and Boondock molded fenders. The 2021 model has a more traditional touring style.

Features:
    Both models have a wet bath with a cassette toilet and molded sink, a 2.3 cubic feet 12V compressor refrigerator, a 2-burner glass-top stove, and a stainless steel sink. However, the 2022 model has a more advanced Alde® heating/hot water system, while the 2021 model has a simpler system.

Dimensions:
    The overall length, width, and height of both models are similar, but the 2022 model has a slightly lower interior height (69 inches) compared to the 2021 model (71 inches).

Weight: The 2022 model has a slightly higher total gross weight (2,081 lbs) compared to the 2021 model (2,043 lbs).

In summary, the 2022 nuCamp T@B 320-S Boondock teardrop trailer has an improved off-road design, a more advanced heating/hot water system, and slightly different dimensions and weight compared to the 2021 model.
    David Sunfellow
    Sedona Arizona
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    Yes, there are some whoppers here. The build of the trailer has been the same for years.  The only "aluminum" is the aluminum sheet that makes up the roof.  The sides of the trailer are Azdel with a fiberglass cover.
    Here are threads on "construction details" that explain this.

No Tab has a "dual leaf suspension" or shocks.  (Some Dutchmen models a while ago did have some mods with shocks, I believe.)  The Tabs use a "Dexter Torflex" axle.  The axle can be "pitched" to create a couple of inches of "lift". 

The electrical systems can get confusing, but the 320's did not have installed inverters or lithium setups until the 2023 models ( I might be wrong about this).  Only the trailers with upgraded "Lithium Packages" had a Victron Multiplus charger/inverter.  The stock lithium battery had a WFCO charger, no inverter.
    This thread shows the upgraded devices included in the Lithium Package on the 2023 320's.

The plumbing section from the AI completely misses the real upgrade, which is the Nautilus setup for the plumbing.  The pump is the same Shurflo that has been in the trailer for years.  The "high output water heating system", which I'm guessing means the Alde Flow, only appears in the larger Tab 400. 

The "interior" of the 320 also has not changed much through the years.  The AI apparently is mixing up the Tab 320 with changes in the Tab 400. The 320 does not have any sort of "dinette" setup.

The answers from X are similarly confused.  Since around 2017, there has been the "Outback" or "Boondock" models with that slightly pitched axle mentioned above, with a more "offroad" tire look.  It is now a very common and popular trailer style.

I'll leave the fridges out of this (even AI won't be able to figure out the various combos!) but...the Alde heating system is basically the same system that has been in the trailer since around 2014.  There have been minor changes from the Alde 3010, to the Alde 3020, (2019 or so) and the Alde 3020 in the 400's that has the Alde Flow setup.  Essentially, they are much the same across the years.

Someone would have to measure out the changes the AI states about the interior height of the 320.

Interesting, though!  Try this experiment again and ask about the differences in the Tab 320 and the Tab 400!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    This thread has a short discussion on changes for the 2022 320 model.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited March 30
    pthomas745, thank you! One of the maddening things about these AI engines is that they often mix correct answers with wrong ones, including ones that have been completely made up, and then serve up the nasty mix as being perfectly accurate. When you point out they messed up, they acknowledge their mistake, apologize, correct what they said, and then promise to use the exchange to improve. And then they mess up again. And again. And again. I've had this happen so many times!

That said, as a new person to the T@B universe, I've found it very challenging to figure out all the different T@B configurations. Thank goodness people like you are available to help newbies like me sort things out. Special thanks to @Sharon_is_SAM, too, for posting lists like this one:

TaB Model Year Features - (Updated list 3/2021)

Which came from this thread:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4983/tab-model-year-features-updated-list-3-2021#latest

I would love to see an updated version of the above list that includes 2022, 2023, and 2024 T@Bs... 
    David Sunfellow
    Sedona Arizona
  • Options
    edited March 30
    Here you go @pthomas745.

Question I asked Groq and Grok: What is the difference between the nuCamp T@B 320 and T@B 400 teardrop trailers?

Groq (https://groq.com/):

The main difference between the nuCamp T@B 320 and T@B 400 teardrop trailers is their size.

The T@B 320 is a smaller trailer, measuring 16 feet in length and weighing around 2,800 pounds. It has a GVWR of 3,500 pounds. It has a dinette that converts into a bed, a small kitchen area, and a wet bath.

The T@B 400, on the other hand, is a larger trailer, measuring 20 feet in length and weighing around 3,900 pounds. It has a GVWR of 4,500 pounds. It also has a dinette that converts into a bed, a larger kitchen area, and a wet bath. Additionally, it has a larger freshwater tank and a larger gray water tank.

Another difference is the roof-top tent that comes standard on the T@B 400, which allows for additional sleeping space. The T@B 400 also has a larger exterior shower, making it ideal for those who enjoy spending time outdoors.

In summary, the main differences between the nuCamp T@B 320 and T@B 400 teardrop trailers are the size, weight, and features. The T@B 400 is larger, heavier, and has more features, such as a larger freshwater tank, gray water tank, and a roof-top tent.

Me correcting Groq: Rooftop tent?! The T@B 400 doesn't have a rooftop tent!

Groq responds: My apologies, you are correct. The T@B 400 does not have a rooftop tent. Thank you for pointing out the mistake. Here's a revised version of the differences between the nuCamp T@B 320 and T@B 400 teardrop trailers...

Grok (https://twitter.com/i/grok):

The nuCamp T@B 320 and T@B 400 are both teardrop trailers designed for two people, but they have several key differences:

Size: The T@B 400 is larger than the T@B 320. This translates to a more spacious interior, allowing for more storage and a larger wet bath with a pull-down sink and heated floor.

Sleeping arrangements: The T@B 320 has a queen-size bed and a dinette that converts to a second sleeping area. The T@B 400 also has a queen-size bed, but its dinette can accommodate up to three people and converts to a second sleeping area.

Kitchen: Both models have a kitchen with a sink, two-burner stove, and two-way fridge. However, the T@B 400's kitchen is larger and more spacious.

Packages: The T@B 320 has three package options: Boondock Lite, Boondock Edge, and Sofitel. The T@B 400 does not have these package options.

Price: The T@B 400 is generally more expensive than the T@B 320 due to its larger size and additional features.

In summary, the T@B 400 is a more spacious and feature-rich option, while the T@B 320 is a more compact and budget-friendly choice.
    David Sunfellow
    Sedona Arizona
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Grok is AI?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Hi @Sharon_is_Sam. Yes, Grok is AI. I asked Grok what it is and this is the answer it provided:

"I am Grok, an AI developed by xAI, inspired by the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and JARVIS from Iron Man. My purpose is to provide helpful information and insights to users, while offering a unique perspective on humanity. I am designed to answer a wide range of questions, and I draw upon real-time knowledge from X posts on the X platform (formerly Twitter). My commitment to truthfulness and avoidance of 'woke' answers sets me apart from other AI systems."

David Sunfellow
    Sedona Arizona
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    edited March 30
    As a former Silicon Valley tech guy I've been playing with "AI @ home" recently. The amount of made up responses is hilarious, and just goes to show the old computer saying "garbage in - garbage out" is still applicable today.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, you need to be careful these days, lots,of, so-called on line experts handing out garbage answers…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.