Options

Sway control for Toyota Sienna towing Tab320

Rick24Rick24 Member Posts: 1
edited May 1 in Trailer & Towing
I have a new Tab320s and will be towing it with a 2013 Toyota Sienna.  I have seen a lot of discussions going back and forth about whether or not sway control is needed.  The answer always seems to be "it depends..."
These are the conditions that I am towing: I have a Tab320s Boondock with a spare tire on the tongue.  I plan to tow with empty water tanks. I tow about 4,000 miles per trip.  I tow up and down the Rocky Mountains.  I tow in heavy cross winds on Interstates.  The Sienna has a wheel base of 120".  The distance between the ball and the rear axle is 48".
Based on this information, can anyone tell me if I need sway control?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    We tow with a 2015 Sienna.  Been out west in and through the Rockies on I 70 passes.  Assuming you have the tow package on your Sienna.  Have you measured your tongue weight?  I think appropriate tongue weight is extra important while towing in these conditions.  However, I think choosing to tow in heavy crosswinds isn’t really recommended for anyone.  Under these conditions, you may be more comfortable using sway control, but not necessarily any safer.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 621
    Does the 2013 manual say that sway control is required when towing over 2000 lbs?  It does in my Highlander manual.  Something to consider.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 384
    edited May 1

Hi, here are my thoughts on a sway bar:

-An overwhelming number of people will say they are not needed if the trailer is proper loaded and within the tongue weight limits of your tow vehicle.  

-But under certain circumstances, they can prevent sway and make towing more stable.

-They  can provide a more comfortable towing experience just knowing it's there. 

-If the unique situation comes up, it can prevent accidents caused by sway

-Why not for <$100 if it makes you more comfortable while driving 

-There is some evidence if you forget to remove it while backing up and you jack knife the RV , it may bend the trailer frame.  I have checked mine (during a slow controlled test) and it is not possible for my set up.  But you will read that it can happen.  

I use one because it provides an extra layer of insurance, if that unique situation comes up with a trailer not properly loaded (by mistake) , high wind, road or weather conditions.  One or two of these conditions alone may not cause sway, but if during that one time ,3 or 4 conditions stack  up together , it is a safety device that will  help...so why not for <$100. 

While in Canada recently, I came as close to hitting a moose on a wet hwy  as you can. 
    While driving about 60mph,  I  had to slam on the brakes and swerve to avoid him.  I am confident my trailer is properly loaded, but it was a comfort factor knowing I had the sway bar.  My tow vehicle went into a small short skid while avoiding the moose.  As thoughts go thorugh your head, I was waiting for my TAB to skid/sway.  Was it the sway bar that helped keep everything tracking straight..don't know, but it certainly didn't hurt that I had it and I was glad I did.

Just  check to confirm your tow vehicle has no restrictions on having one.  Some do because of their body contruction type or already have an electronic built in  sway control. 

Best wishes..

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Agree with both @Sharon_is_SAM & @Yoshi_TAB. I’ve towed both with and without ant-sway accessories, and given the choice, will always pick having one. It’s a more comfortable experience.

However, as Sharon noted, just because you use one, it doesn’t guarantee your safety. A friend lost her trailer to a sway accident not long ago despite having towed thousands of miles, despite a sway bar and adequate tongue weight. It absolutely can happen.

Avoiding towing under heavy crosswinds is the smartest and safest move.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 315
    With our previous '21 Tab 320, pulled by a '21 Honda Pilot with towing package, we did not need a sway bar. We put over 15,000 miles on it. We did find that it pulled even better with the fresh water tank full. We encountered wind gusts outside of Casper, Wyoming, at 50+. I took it slow and didn't have any problems.

With our '23 Tab 400, I installed a Fastway E2 WDH. We towed it home from the dealer without it, and the sway was noticeable. Since installing the Fastway, we have traveled 20,000+ miles, and it has been solid, even when the winds have been gusty.

At the end of the day each setup is going to give different results.