Options

Cannot pump grease one side of Dexter axle

New to me 2018 Tab 320S, prepping for this camping season and successfully greased one side of the Dexter axle through the E-Z lube zerk fitting, while rotating the wheel. However I can't get any grease into the other side, the grease gun trigger is very hard to squeeze so it seems like there's a blockage. I took the zerk fitting out and pumped grease through that no problem so it seems like the blockage is in the hub grease channel or rear bearing. I called Apache (where I bought the Tab) and they said bring it in for a full tear down to both grease the bearings and clear the blockage, however they are booked out a month and half. Any other ideas what I might be able to do to clear the blockage, other than tearing down the hub myself, which I'm not comfortable with doing (especially having seen some videos of needing a puller to get the outer cover off).
2018 T@B 320S / 2017 Subaru Outback / Seattle, WA

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,715
    Find any utility trailer business that handles utility trailers.  The Dexter Axles are common around the industry, and there will be one of them who will know exactly what you need.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,481
    edited May 15
    FWIW, I did a manual repack/inspection of my bearings a couple years ago, and I don't recall needing any special puller to get things apart. That said, you will need a torque wrench and appropriately sized socket to get everything properly reassembled.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 468
    You don't need to use the ez-lube fitting, in fact Dexter doesn't use them either when they assemble the hubs. You'll have to remove the hub from the spindle though, just like our forefathers did. The torque requirement is important when installing new bearings to ensure the races are fully seated. For normal service (brakes etc.) I just tighten the nut until the hub doesn't spin freely and back off from there.
  • Options
    Firebird_WS6Firebird_WS6 Member Posts: 9
    Grumpy_G said:
    You don't need to use the ez-lube fitting, in fact Dexter doesn't use them either when they assemble the hubs. You'll have to remove the hub from the spindle though, just like our forefathers did. The torque requirement is important when installing new bearings to ensure the races are fully seated. For normal service (brakes etc.) I just tighten the nut until the hub doesn't spin freely and back off from there.

Thanks, I did some more research on Youtube watching a good video on removing the hub. Doesn't seem as hard as I thought. The first video I watched that put me off was perhaps not a Dexter, unless the brake shoes in that case had worn a lip on the cover and that was why he couldn't get it off without a puller. I think before booking it in somewhere, I'll have a go at taking the hub off (I noted the other comment that I might be able to find a place other than Apache to get it done sooner if I do need to get it done professionally.)
    2018 T@B 320S / 2017 Subaru Outback / Seattle, WA
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,481
    @Firebird_WS6, if you haven't already located them, the official Dexter video and axle service manual are posted here.
    2015 T@B S