New Amber Lens LED Porch Lights Available

After rewiring my "porch light" to accept an amber LED bulb, and after spray painting the clear lens to a sort of amber color, I was still not satisfied with the results.  I knew that Optronics, the manufacturer of the fixture, had started making the light with an amber lens, but it was not available anywhere that I could find as an after-market purchase.

I recently contacted etrailer.com to ask if they had any plans to stock it.  The answer was yes; give them a couple of days.  Sure enough, it showed up on their web site this morning. https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=rvpll8   Couple of problems:  The amber lens is not available as a separate purchase, and the fixture with the amber lens and led light only comes in white or black, but if you already have the chrome cover you should be able to use it. 

If you decide to order, be sure to read the descriptions carefully so that you get the light you want.  If you replace your light, put painter's tape around the fixture to keep from scratching your trailer's paint.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited October 2015
    Remind me...is this to minimize bug attraction? Thanks for the info!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Many people think so, Jenn, including me.  I also like the less harsh light.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

UPDATE:  Just received notice that these lights will not be available for shipment until Friday.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    jkjenn said:
    Remind me...is this to minimize bug attraction? Thanks for the info!
    It does help Jenn and the amber light is less intrusive than the bright quartz light I had in my trailer porch lights.  I love the amber lights and they helped guide us in from a trip to town in the dark.  They definitely make things better and do make the bugs more manageable.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    I hope to finally put this chapter of my trailer mods to rest.  I installed a new light today with LED bulb, amber lens, chrome cover.  Now on to the next project.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Got a pic of your handiwork?
    edited October 2015

I guess I should start by saying that my light is unique because it is a hybrid of three different fixtures.  I first modified my original light (which was not LED) by changing the socket to accept a bayonet type bulb.  (There is a thread you can search for where Mike shows how to do this with pictures.)  That way I could use a white or amber LED bulb.  I used it that way for a while, but the amber bulb was not bright enough for me.  I recently found out that etrailer was stocking new fixtures made by the same company (Optronics) that Little Guy uses.  These new fixtures only became available this past Friday. 

Three conditions kept me from getting exactly what I wanted.  1) They do not stock just the amber lens by itself.  2)  The fixture with the amber lens only comes with a white or black cover and does not have the LED bulb. 3)  The fixture with the chrome cover and LED bulb does not have the amber lens.  Solution:  I ordered two fixtures, one with the chrome cover and one with the amber lens.  I then used the base with the regular bulb but changed it to my original bayonet modification and replaced the bulb with a bayonet LED bulb.  I then installed the amber lens on it and the chrome cover from the other light.  Confusing, isn’t it, but it gave me exactly what I wanted with a bright amber light.

Here is a link to etrailer with the fixtures they stock. 

http://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=rv+porch+light

You can pick one you want or order two and mix and match.  If you remove the original base, save the mounting screws because new ones are not supplied.  You should be able to use the old one if it is in good condition.  I had to change mine because I had earlier broken one of the tabs off that holds the top cover on.  You will need to clean the caulk off the mounting screws that was used by the factory, and you will need to use new caulk when reinstalling (remember there is not much to anchor to).

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• DanicaDanica Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for sharing!  I have been telling my honey that I thought the outside light was too bright.. this is a perfect solution!
    You're welcome, Danica.  You should be able to use your current base, if you're careful not to break the little tabs that the cover snaps onto.  You could then order one of the fixtures with the amber lens and just switch it out.  If you do this, I suggest you put masking tape around the fixture before attempting to pry if off so that you don't scratch the finish of the trailer.  Some people have had luck pulling down on the cover to pop it off, but I found a little prying was necessary.  The best tool I found for that was a metal trowel of some kind; stiff but with a firm blade.  This is where the masking tape comes in handy.  You might also find that a little caulk has been placed behind the fixture, so you will need to gently work with breaking the loose.  Good luck!

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

RZRBUG said:
    ... You might also find that a little caulk has been placed behind the fixture, so you will need to gently work with breaking the loose.  Good luck!
    BTW, forgot to mention that the best method I've found for removing fixtures (or 3-D emblems) that have been stuck on a flat surface with caulk or mounting tape is to use fishing line to work behind the fixture/emblem and use a slight sawing motion, working from one side to the other.  Keep in mind that there is wiring behind the fixture, so you don't want to try sawing through that.  You'll want to do one side, then the other, then top, then bottom...or whichever order you prefer.  The best line to use is Spider Wire.  It does not stretch or break as easily as nylon, etc.  You need to wrap each end of the line around your hands to keep it from slipping.  BE SURE TO WEAR GLOVES TO KEEP THE LINE FROM CUTTING YOUR HAND. 

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    The porch lights, amber or white, are very usefull when backing into a tight spot as well. We usually leave after work on a Friday eve and get into a camp area at night. Before I start backing up I turn on porch lights and also the interior lights, shut the front blind and keep the sides open. The extra light helps.
  • foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    I have changed all of the interior lights in my 2017 S to soft white.  Most, if not all, did not have removable bulbs so I had to change the entire fixture.  I suspect the exterior light is the same (although I have not taken that one out yet to see.....that is a future project for sure).
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    On our 2014, for the porch light, I was able to pull the (standard incandescent) bulb, and replace it with a much dimmer LED bulb. I also lined the inside of the fixture's lens with foil to prevent the lite from shining into all the other campers' campsites.
    The interior spot lights have removable bulbs in our Tab too. But they might have changed the fixtures in the later Tab.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ericnliz said:
    And the best part is that Larry is STILL helping his fellow T@BBERs!!!!! ;)
    Hits me in the feelies! :heart:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Made me smile when I saw the post. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    By the way, I showed Larry's "Bye Y'all" post to his brother and sister-in-law last month and they were overwhelmed with the well wishes from everyone here. They now understand why they have Rubbermaid tubs of get well cards and sympathy cards. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Verna, we SO need a LOVE button on here for moments like this! I'm glad they are able to understand why he was loved so much by so many, even those he never met. I thank him every time I use my Redneck Porch setup! I'm tempted to call it Boogers awning, just because. Thanks.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    edited August 2017
    Verna said:
    By the way, I showed Larry's "Bye Y'all" post to his brother and sister-in-law last month and they were overwhelmed with the well wishes from everyone here. They now understand why they have Rubbermaid tubs of get well cards and sympathy cards. 
    You are such a sweetie to have done that. :heart:

@Homebodyatheart, there's a heart emoticon, it's :heart: I did a < 3 (space between on purpose) and it did the heart emoticon!!! Coolness. I found a new forum Easter Egg.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited August 2017
    <3. Thank you, Ratkity!  Now to remember "less than 3 equals love" ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    V! the less than 3 is a sideways heart.. hehe. It's an old text chat "emoticon".
    Yes, but the mathematical background see "less than" first!  But thanks for the explanation....I never could figure that one out since I was looking at it straight on, not sideways!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Hey V, it's like when I explain a teardrop trailer. I get odd looks. It's a sideways teardrop! Then the zombie(s) say "ohhhhhhh I see it now!"