How does Thor fit in the T@B history?

I see Dutchmen in various posts but also see for some period of time Thor linked to T@B.  Did Dutchmen own Thor?  I see various T@Bs for sale and Dutchmen, Thor, and Pleasant Valley names all pop up.

Just curious about the history.

TJ

Comments

• Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Thor owns Dutchmen, so that's the connection.  My T@DA has a Thor label on it.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Tearstock 2015 dates are posted on the main page now, July 29-August 1.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Sandra,
    Thank you for the early history.  It helps satisfy my curiosity.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 197
    I've also been interested in the history and the genesis of the T@B and/or T@B branding.  I ran into a man at a Wyoming rest stop that said he saw rows of teardrops or T@Bs near his home in Goshen, IN, at the Forest River facility.  When I said I believed the T@B was manufactured by an independent company in OH, he commented that "Forest River owns everything."  I've never read about a connection with Forest River.  Is there??
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    Transitioned from 2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx to 2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Probably saw rows of R-Pods.
    jdargis - That's exactly what I thought at the time, but he seemed to remember the T@B name.  However, he was driving a BIG rig and towing a 2 door Jeep Wrangler, so the concept may have just been lost on him.   =)
    Beth
    Minnesota
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've found people don't really distinguish between various teardrops brands or even sizes. It's a teardrop, period.
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Yep, I've run into lots of folks that think an R-Pod is just like a T@B.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    Patti said:
    Sandra said:
     Dutchmen added the T@DA in 2005 or 2006 and then, when the financial bottom fell out of the rv industry, stopped production and closed the factory in September 2009.
    Did the T@DA also originate from the Tabbert group in Europe? If not, where did that design come from?
    No, the T@DA was purely a Dutchman/Thor creation. I actually like the T@DA TXL, and coveted one for a long time, but I'm pretty picky, and the right T@DA along with me having the right amount of money hasn't happened. (I believe the first T@DA came out in late 2007). They came out shortly after I bought my T@B in June 2007.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
    Anyone know why the '@'?
    Beth
    Minnesota
    edited July 2015
    @ - Betting just style.
    Any idea why T@B, T@G or T@DA?
  • vitovito Member Posts: 181
    So as not to be confused with the former diet Coke drink named "Tab"?
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318

Vito, this is off topic but we are also in Rockford, IL  We should meet some time!

John and Gail

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    T@B (=TAB) was likely derived from TABbert, which is a part of the name of the European group that had designed the T@B concept (Knaus Tabbert GmBH from Germany). 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    This is from the Yahoo group.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TabbieannecamperTabbieannecamper Member Posts: 32

John and Gail of Rockford, I am in Rockford, IL as well. It would be great to get together. As for the preceeding history of T@b, it is real interesting to know how our little  campers evolved.

2015 Max S silver/silver

2012 Subaru Outback

Rockford, IL

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Great info here. I've been curious about the pre-Dutchman history, and Jenn's post filled in a lot of those blanks. Anyone ever encounter a Tabbert or other pre-Dutchman T@B in the wild? Maybe in Europe? 
    2015 T@B S
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I misread your post and thought you said my, "pot"....I thought, "Wait a minute....I love Colorado, but not for those reasons!" :o=)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Ya sure - We believe ya Jenn ;-)
    Too funny…I thought that was how you came up with all your great T@B ideas!
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    Great info here. I've been curious about the pre-Dutchman history, and Jenn's post filled in a lot of those blanks. Anyone ever encounter a Tabbert or other pre-Dutchman T@B in the wild? Maybe in Europe? 
    There is one in the US. It was one of two T@Bs brought over from Germany that Dutchmen used to build the templates and create the specs for the US T@Bs. One was disassembled. The other was converted to US power and later sold. It was owned by a woman named Lorraine, and she joined the Yahoo T@B group, and joined us on some rallies, and kept a blog. She has also sold the T@B as she can no longer travel solo.

http://tabteardroptravels.blogspot.com/
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
    Thanks, Carol. I'm suprised to see how well the styling has been preserved through the Dutchman and LG years--I'd never peg that as the grandaddy of all U.S. T@Bs! (The European T@Bs, in contrast have changed quite a bit.)

It looks from the blog that Lorraine bought hers gently used from a previous private owner. Do you know how she came to uncover its special history?
    2015 T@B S
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    twocutes said:
    Anyone know why the '@'?
    I sent a note to the company in Europe about a week ago and received this response back this morning:

Marketing, Knaus Tabbert GmbH <marketing@knaustabbert.de>

7:32 AM (1 hour ago)
    Hi Mr Smith,

Thank you for your Email.

T@B was – at it’s beginning – a small brand under TABBERT. So the name came in one case from „TABbert“ and, in second case, we gave a modern note with the @-character in stead of the „a“. In Germany we speak [TÄB], in US / UK you speak [tab]. The „Ä“ in Germany is spoken as the first spoken part of the @ [at].

We hope we were able to answer your question.

Best Regards

Your  Knaus Tabbert Marketing Team

HERBSTMESSEN 2015 - Lernen Sie unsere neuen CaravansReisemobile und Kastenwagen kennen. Eine Übersicht der Messen finden Sie unter www.knaustabbert.de/veranstaltungen. Wir freuen uns auf Ihren Besuch!

WIR SIND FÜR SIE DA - Lernen Sie die Knaus Tabbert GmbH von ihrer persönlichen Seite kennen und schauen Sie vorbei in den sozialen Medien auf FacebookTwitterGoogle+XINGLinkedIn oderYouTube!

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    ScottG said:
    Thanks, Carol. I'm suprised to see how well the styling has been preserved through the Dutchman and LG years--I'd never peg that as the grandaddy of all U.S. T@Bs! (The European T@Bs, in contrast have changed quite a bit.)

It looks from the blog that Lorraine bought hers gently used from a previous private owner. Do you know how she came to uncover its special history?
    She mentioned that the private owner told her, and then she came to a rally shortly after purchasing, and folks like Jerry Jones (owner of an early 2004), and Geo, owner of T@B number 100, crawled all over it, and confirmed there was some very distinct differences, such as the triangle rear marker lights, and a few other things.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    "Crawled all over it" -- :)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    My grandson showed me that my T@B crashes his smart phone. I'd posted a picture on Instagram of my T@B and included it's name in a comment. Anything with a "@" in comments shows in a blue color as a link. When tapped it had no where to go and crashed the app. Lol.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
    Thanks again, all, for the history lessons--they're just as much fun as the technical stuff.

Sounds like that original T@B is still out there. Keep an eye open for those triangle marker lights!  
    2015 T@B S
  • catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    ...the original American T@B that you guys have mentioned is listed on the Houston Craigslist with a few pictures.
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6