Options

Confused on if I REALLY need a surge protector for my 2016 T@B Max S???

My new tab will be here any day and I am so excited!  Love all of the great info in the forum!  
My key issue - All of the Information I keep reading is very mixed about whether or not to get a Surge Protector.  Factory and dealer say "no -do not need" due to converter/fuses/breakers....but there is so much discussion about using them.  Appreciate any experience, detailed info and guidance!  

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Know what you mean - I do mainly boondocking so have never gotten one but while researching, I came across a simple little test device you'd plug in to the pedestal first, it'd let you know if the electric was ok - wired/grounded correctly. Wouldn't protect you from surges or low/high voltage though.
  • Options
    Sandra - Which model do you have? - "cheap insurance", especially with the little tester plug, may be the keywords. Replacing you converter isn't real cheap and a pain.
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Mine was from General RV and was $50. Good for peace of mind. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    I have the circuit analyzer PXLated posted. It also has surge protection. It's been working pretty well so far (I have not seen any errors yet, so I guess I don't know if it's actually working or not...).
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    It's cheap insurance. We have always had one on all our RV units( A's B's TT's  as we worked our way down to the T@B)
    John & Kris Aiken SC
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    To John&Kris: I'd love to hear how and why you "worked our way down to the T@b" from having A's, B's, and TT's. I hear more about people starting small and moving to larger RV's but not often moving in the opposite direction. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I bought a 30 amp surge protector from Camping World (like the one Sandra bought) for my 3 month snow birding trip to the Southwest last winter. With a lot of older campgrounds around, I figured I would save my converter by using it.

It works, and after buying it on sale for $70, it sure has made me feel better. As soon as I get my permanent surge protector installed, I'll pass my other one on to my sister for her Class B (unless she has one already permanently installed).  

Cheap insurance because sometimes the campsite pedestal does have problems. I was able to prove to the owner of a private RV park that he had a polarity problem--he fixed it and I slept well knowing I was protected. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had a Progressive protector installed and I am glad I did. It spared me from the woes of a pedestal with reversed polarity. I like that it has error codes that tell me what is wrong, too. I opted for permanent installation because it is one less thing to think about and set up.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I bought the little tester I mentioned above as I don't do hookups very often even if the campground has them. But I must say, I sure don't see many hanging off pedestals. It's almost a rarity. Of course I wouldn't see them if they're built in. That said, I'd at least do the tester if I was going for hookups. If you blow out your converter you'd have that expense plus the hassle.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Why the need for a surge protector? While the risk of lightning causing a surge is real, it's a rare ocurrance. What's of more concern is low voltage or too high voltage. Both these conditions can damage modern electronics very easily. Older RV's did not have the sophisticated electronics like newer ones do. Inagine having to replace the Alde control system, or your TV and entertainment system. Many campsites have electrical distribution that can fluctuate drastically based on how many units are connected and how much each is drawing. Reverse hot and neutral reversals can create a risk of shock within the trailer. Lack of ground can also increase the risk of shock or fire. So having a surge protector that protects against under / over voltage, hot / neutral reversal and missing grounds, along with surge (lightning) protection can not only protect your investment, but protect the occupants. 

Do do you need one? No. Should you use one? Yes. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    HappyCamperHappyCamper Member Posts: 29
    Thanks to all!  I am going to buy one... Cheap insurance is the word!  I love our forum!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    jkjenn said:
    I had a Progressive protector installed and I am glad I did. It spared me from the woes of a pedestal with reversed polarity. I like that it has error codes that tell me what is wrong, too. I opted for permanent installation because it is one less thing to think about and set up.
    Ditto! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I got the portable one and while bulky, think it will provide peace of mind when I am at a park with hook-ups.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I'm still using my portable one, but hopefully I can get the Progressive one installed soon. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    I have personally experienced low voltage in an RV park and was lucky... Bought he 300 buck progressive dongle...continuous readout... Made in USA...lifetime warranty...exterior rated...Low voltage can do more damage than I was aware of. Now I am worry free.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Portable works fine for the times when I hook up.
  • Options
    mash2 - Me too. In fact just a little tester works. What you need (as usual) depends on how you camp.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Portable one here too.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    watch camping world for portable ones.  I got a great one at a huge discount when they changed models (70% off as I recall).  It was a surge guard and was under $80.