Anyone tow with a vehicle only rated at 1500lbs (2015 Acura RDX)

DonDon Member Posts: 7

Several tents, two pop-ups, one travel trailer and two park models later...... :) 

Comments

• DonDon Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2015
    Just found out my Acura RDX is only rated for 1500lbs...shocker. It has 270HP?  Was hoping to tow a M@X S, QuickStart S or Basic S with it. Wondering what to do....transmission cooler? Purchase new vehicle?
    Several tents, two pop-ups, one travel trailer and two park models later...... :) 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited November 2015
    Sorry, you need a new vehicle to tow a T@B. The T@B dry weight with nothing in them is around 1,700 lbs, plus your battery, propane, clothing food, personal belongings. This includes anything behind your rear axle of your tow vehicle, too. 

The  problem is not only whether you can tow a T@B, the problem also centers around your stopping power, your ability and that of the tow vehicle to have control in a quick accident or near miss. And, if your car is still under warranty, your car's warranty can be terminated.

Then there's the insurance end of your situation. Should an accident occur, you could be considered negligent because you were aware of the load limits set by the manufacturer of your vehicle. It would be up to your insurance company as to what stance they would take on paying your claim. 

If you want to keep your car, Little Guy does have smaller teardrops that are 1200 lbs and below in dry weight. They can be found at www.golitgleguy.com. 

Good Luck in your choice. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Agree stopping is the concern AND Insurance even if stopped by a State Trooper or Local PD and they check you could be in for a ticket or more. Stopped once but we were ok with TV and TT
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    You will likely void your warranty if you tow a T@b with it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    I agree not to do it for the legal and liability reasons...

Also, the transmission cooling and engine cooling systems are typically NOT able to handle extra heat...

It is not uncommon for higher HP vehicles to have lower towing capacities for this very reason.  For example My 240hp 2.0L Lincoln MKC has a 3,000 lb towing capacity but the 2.3L 280hp only has a 2,000 lb capacity....
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
    Thanks for all the feed back folks. I've studied most of the mechanical specifications of the Acura RDX (1500lbs rating) and compared it to its big sister, the Acura MDX (3500lbs rating, increased to 5000lbs with auxiliary transmission cooler). There really isn't much difference between the two vehicles. (Similar HP, transmission, gear ratio, suspension, weight). I have found vehicles made by other manufactures with less HP, weigh less, smaller brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, frames etc. but higher tow ratings. 
    I honestly believe that when Acura remodeled the RDX in 2013 by making it larger and using a 275HP V6 instead of the old 4CYL Turbo it offered in previous versions, it became so similar to the MDX series which traditionally was their premiere tow vehicle they thought it might affect MDX sales. So they kept the tow rating the same as it was with the much smaller previous version of the RDX. I truly believe it's a marketing thing for Acura. My dealer would be more than happy to take my RDX in trade for a new MDX. 
    Now I understand about liabilities and warranty's and all that, but when you talk to people who are towing T@B's with CRV's and Elements, both much smaller than my vehicle with considerably less HP yet rated the same (1500lbs), over mountains on hot days w/o any problem whatsoever. You have to ask yourself.....Is this an Acura marketing thing and how many other automobile manufactures are doing the same thing to their customers?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Don 
    Verna said:
    Sorry, you need a new vehicle to tow a T@B. The T@B dry weight with nothing in them is around 1,700 lbs, plus your battery, propane, clothing food, personal belongings. This includes anything behind your rear axle of your tow vehicle, too. 

The  problem is not only whether you can tow a T@B, the problem also centers around your stopping power, your ability and that of the tow vehicle to have control in a quick accident or near miss. And, if your car is still under warranty, your car's warranty can be terminated.

Then there's the insurance end of your situation. Should an accident occur, you could be considered negligent because you were aware of the load limits set by the manufacturer of your vehicle. It would be up to your insurance company as to what stance they would take on paying your claim. 

If you want to keep your car, Little Guy does have smaller teardrops that are 1200 lbs and below in dry weight. They can be found at www.golitgleguy.com. 

Good Luck in your choice. 

Is this an Acura marketing thing and how many other automobile manufactures are doing the same thing to their customers?
    John&Kris said:
    Agree stopping is the concern AND Insurance even if stopped by a State Trooper or Local PD and they check you could be in for a ticket or more. Stopped once but we were ok with TV and TT
    jkjenn said:
    You will likely void your warranty if you tow a T@b with it.
    I agree not to do it for the legal and liability reasons...

Also, the transmission cooling and engine cooling systems are typically NOT able to handle extra heat...

It is not uncommon for higher HP vehicles to have lower towing capacities for this very reason.  For example My 240hp 2.0L Lincoln MKC has a 3,000 lb towing capacity but the 2.3L 280hp only has a 2,000 lb capacity....
    Sorry to be brash, Don, but you have 4 excellent answers already. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Don said:
    Is this an Acura marketing thing and how many other automobile manufactures are doing the same thing to their customers?
    It's like anything else Don, you certainly can roll the dice, disregard engineering specs, recommendations/suggestions/warnings from others, throw abandon/good judgement to the wind, etc. and hope that you don't have to dip into your savings when that transmission fails when you are 2K+ miles from home and in some dusty, western outpost.   I did the same thing, rolled the dice and towed with a vehicle rated for 1000# while pulling a much smaller teardrop trailer.   I was on the edge of that tow rating and with gear and vehicle occupants, in the red zone. I ended up having the transmission rebuilt after it started slipping, but started pulling again and sold the vehicle a year later and upgraded when the transmission started to act up again......  Keep in mind too that it isn't JUST about the vehicle's transmission as it's also about your ability to brake and bring both the vehicle and trailer to a safe stop in all conditions whether on wet surfaces, icy mountain passes, and for sudden stops when someone decides to pull in front of you, suddenly hits the brakes to "fit in" between you and the guy in front of him in order to do one of them quick exits because he felt compelled to do so after having been looking down in his lap at his iPhone and suddenly realized his exit was in view, panicked, said to hell with it!    

You CAN pull ANY trailer and "get it rolling" with just about any vehicle out there today.   But you also need to weigh all the facts, factor in safety and the safety of your loved ones if you decide to do so.   And as noted early on, should you decide to pull a load with a vehicle not specifically rated for the load you are liable for the outcome of your actions, the safety of those out on the road with you and your insurance policy also comes into play (your insurer spells this out in your policy) and could result in your experiment going up in smoke.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Well said Mike. It just isn't worth playing road roulette.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Nothing else to say save Amen Mike
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    edited November 2015
    Besides, if it is illegal, you just shouldn't do it. And, in many states it is illegal.

The towing is 1,500 lbs. When you add yourself and others as well as what ever cargo you will bring, thou are going to be well over your limit.  Additionally, there are other differences that factor into their ratings: wheelbase, vehicle length. There was previously a degree of subjectivity that is being eliminated through implementation of SAE standards developed in 2011. These standards have been slowly adopted but show the greatest compliance in  2015.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ST_Bob, I've found that the European tow maxes are more often double what is allowed in the US. This is an insurance/liability/safety issue and the insurance company lobby is strong (referring to the SAE standards Jenn mentioned). 

Everyone has given some excellent answers. One vehicle part that wasn't mentioned was the alternator. Vehicles meant to tow usually come with a beefier alternator. With all the delicate electronics in newer vehicles, an underpowered alternator could fry something inadvertently whether in the camper or TV (it will certainly void warranties) and could even affect electrics of safety equipment such as airbags.

There was a thread a while back on here where someone wanted to pull a small teardrop with a Harley. There are other brand bikes that are set up to tow little trailers, but even in those situations, it takes an experienced rider to handle such a combination.  In the end, it was his decision to go ahead and do it. I never heard the results. As a Harley owner, I know there are no Harleys produced that are rated to tow and there are even bag poundage limits for sides, back and front because of how easily these big motorcycles can be thrown off balance and become unnecessarily dangerous. A safely loaded bike and a rider who doesn't push the limits of any bike is one that remains alive to tell awesome travel tales. 

TL;DR disclaimer: Do what you feel is acceptable. Understand the risks. Every action (including inaction) has consequences, so be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Safe travels!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    Don said:
    .....Is this an Acura marketing thing and how many other automobile manufactures are doing the same thing to their customers?
    You are correct - this is marketing by manufacturers.  Check out my forum post on the "Secret of Tow Ratings".  There are a couple of videos, both are interesting, but you can skip to the second one to save some time.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
    Well I listened to all the naysayers, including my wife and traded by 2015 Acura RDX (1500lb rating) for a 2013 Acura MDX (5000lb rating). I picked up my trailer at dealer yesterday and drove it up some pretty steep hills and on the Highway as well.  I was going up some 8% grades and I don't even think the car downshifted. There were times I forgot I was even towing a trailer.  The MDX is overkill !!!    My RDX could have easily towed my trailer without any problems whatsoever, i'm sure of it.  On the plus side, the car is more comfortable. On the minus side I had to go back two years and the MDX has more miles on it.  It was an even $$$ trade. Now more than ever,  I'm convinced it's all marketing. Oh well, at least my wife is happy. Happy wife...happy life!
  • DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    We decided to keep our RDX and traded in our TSX for a SanteFe turbo to tow the T@B. I'm sure the RDX would be fine, but not taking chances. 
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72

Don said:

Well I listened to all the naysayers, including my wife and traded by 2015 Acura RDX (1500lb rating) for a 2013 Acura MDX (5000lb rating). I picked up my trailer at dealer yesterday and drove it up some pretty steep hills and on the Highway as well.  I was going up some 8% grades and I don't even think the car downshifted. There were times I forgot I was even towing a trailer.  The MDX is overkill !!!    My RDX could have easily towed my trailer without any problems whatsoever, i'm sure of it.  On the plus side, the car is more comfortable. On the minus side I had to go back two years and the MDX has more miles on it.  It was an even $$$ trade. Now more than ever,  I'm convinced it's all marketing. Oh well, at least my wife is happy. Happy wife...happy life!

Hello, old thread but just thought I'd chime in.

We have a 16 RDX with a self installed a 2" Curt Hitch.  Never towed anything with the RDX but we did use the hitch for a nice, heavy platform style bike rack.  With two bikes loaded, the rear of the RDX would sag and I could definitely feel the extra weight when driving around.

In my opinion, the low tow rating of the RDX is legit. The engine is powerful but the frame is just not up to the task of towing something heavy.

So I think you did the right thing trading for an MDX.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I used to tow with our 2004 Jetta TDI.  1500 lbs rating, but 2800 lbs in Europe with the same powertrain.

While it had more than enough power even for steep mountain climbs, it turned out the transmission was not able to handle the load.  And it was a manual transmission!  The oil was cooked (overheated and lost viscosity) and had a high iron content (i.e. high gear wear) when it was next serviced.

They just don't have the same hills and high speed limits in Britain, I suppose?
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Thanks, Wizard, good to know-- my '05 Jetta also towed our T@B, but it was an older DM style, probably lighter than current versions. In any case, we sold the T@B :(   so I don't have to worry about it any more. I take it you had your tranny oil analyzed? I never noticed any problems with mine... maybe I was just lucky; still seems to work OK.
  • wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Yes, we use Blackstone Labs for oil analysis.

They thought my transmission was DEAD until I told them what I was doing with it....
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA