Options

I love it!

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
edited January 2016 in Camping & Travel
I'll be babysitting an emu and two cats while their owners take a mini-vacation. Why not?  Free camping in their driveway makes for a good reason!  Last year when I was here, the emu wouldn't come within 25' of me. She let me pet her this afternoon, until jealous Sunny Day got too close!

Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Excellent picts!!!!! Yay for emu-human relationships! Go girl :) - I'm sure you told Sunny Day that she will always be your #1 furkid. hehe. Too cute.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited January 2016
    Wow, so that's an Emu. Looks like a fun to me!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    There is a family near us that have about a dozen of them. They sell the eggs, and I don't know what anyone would use it for, but they sell Emu oil also.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I believe Emu oil is what's used in the Alde system.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    you can have a emu egg omelet for you and your family/friends  ;)
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Wow, so cool.  Never knew what an emu was, much less that it could be domesticated.  Is it a boy or a girl???  :):)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    It's a girl, age unknown, but they can live to be 60 to 70 yrs of age. Cindy Lou didn't make up to me last year when I visited. This year she is staying around my T@B, checking out my solar panels, checking out the really big egg--the DISH Tailgater. Her "friend" Henry was a runner, who was given to Cindy's owners when he was found a few years ago. He escaped late in 2014 and they have given up trying to capture him and actually haven't had any reports of his sightings since early last year. Cindy quit laying eggs when Henry left, so no emu Omlets. It nest to hold her head, rub her beak, scratch her head and neck. I guess that if I sat on the ground or a stool, she eould lay her head on my leg and would  get up when I got tired of petting her. Pretty neat!  

Now tonight I was sitting on the sofa in the house with Sunny Day sound asleep at my side. She woke up and one of the black cats was on the coffe table getting ready to jump overt o the sofa. Sunny started growling, the cat was pushing his luck, I grabbed Sunny's collar just as she was taking flight to keep that evil animal away from her Mom!  WOW!  This could be a wild and crazy babysitting job!  I'm loving camping here on the driveway, solar panels deployed, and just enjoying myself. I was even able to finally de-winterize my T@B--Yeah, running water for the toilet!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    running water - one of the small (or big) pleasures of life....)
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    She's beautiful. What a great experience for you. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    They have never had any issues with coyotes and the emu?   Is she penned up at night?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    They have never had any issues with coyotes and the emu?   Is she penned up at night?  
    Not during the day, Mike. She goes into her pen around 4 pm, it gets locked some time later and that's where she stays until morning. She has a shed roof with sunbrella material on one side, open on three sides. But she chooses to lay on the ground behind a large patch of prickly pear cactus on hay that is refreshed every few days.  

She actually let Sunny Day smell her beak yesterday morning. Pretty neat! I guess they both felt if I liked both of them, they might as well like each other!  Cindy has not made any territorial moves towards Sunny Day, which is great! 
    Verna, Columbus, IN