Anyone attempted a glycol exchange on Alde?

There is much discussion on this topic, but I can't find one instance of anyone attempting this on their own or having had it done at the factory or an authorized service center...any input ? I still have about 11 months before the recommended exchange at 2 years per Alde if I am correct. My dealer is an authorized Alde rep ... Whatever that means...lol. I would prefer to perform this procedure in my own, just like winterising. Lots of good input on topping off, correct fluid, etc but still searching for that trailblazer...

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I think it's (no discussion) because the Alde is relatively new and nobody's hit the time recommendation. 2 years seems a little short - nope, haven't looked it up - just seems to short. Does one ever have to replace the coolant in a car?
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    There is much discussion on this topic, but I can't find one instance of anyone attempting this on their own or having had it done at the factory or an authorized service center...any input ? I still have about 11 months before the recommended exchange at 2 years per Alde if I am correct. My dealer is an authorized Alde rep ... Whatever that means...lol. I would prefer to perform this procedure in my own, just like winterising. Lots of good input on topping off, correct fluid, etc but still searching for that trailblazer...
    Yeah, we have talked about it. I might be wrong, but seems as simple as draining the reservoir and adding the new. Am I over-simplifying it?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Seems that it involves a bit more than that.
    Alde recommends a pump be used.
    Most autos recommend antifreeze replacement every 5 years...
    Anyone with experience or more knowledge please chime in.
    Nothing on the T@B has been as easy as draining and refilling...i.e. Winterising.
    Alde recommends glycol replacement every two years. That is why I'm researching info now.
    Does one ever have to replace the coolant in a car?

Well PXlated...you are not required to, but it is recommended, usually in the owners manual under scheduled maintenance.
    I know it was discussed somewhere, but Alde USA is saying if it is a high quality glycol it only needs to be replaced every 5 years.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

So a car is 5 years - Wonder why such a short period for the Alde.
    Well, the Alde manual that came with my unit states every 2 years as I stated above... To inhibit corrosion.

I wonder if this gizmo will make the job that much easier...wonder how many dealers use this ?
    Does T@B ship units with Alde prefilled or is that done at the dealership ?
    I have read that air bubbles and vapor licks can be quite problematic without a pump/bleeder.

Anyone used the Alde app for iPhone ?
    Good dealer network map if needed.

PXLated said:
    I think it's (no discussion) because the Alde is relatively new and nobody's hit the time recommendation. 2 years seems a little short - nope, haven't looked it up - just seems to short. Does one ever have to replace the coolant in a car?
    My T@B was manufactured on 11/13...So my Alde is now 2 years 2 months old. If the Alde manual states that I should change the glycol every two years then I believe that I have hit the time recommendation...
    PXLated said:
    My T@B was manufactured on 11/13...So my Alde is now 2 years 2 months old. If the Alde manual states that I should change the glycol every two years then I believe that I have hit the time recommendation...
    I think at first, we all received the British manual. The Alde materials for American units seem to be growing in their support information.

Bleeding the system shouldn't be too complicated and there are folks who have done that. I bleed the radiators in my house. There isn't anything to it.

Don't know about any British manual.
    This is the USA manual that came with my unit.

Don't know about any British manual.
    This is the USA manual that came with my unit.

Here is tne latest manual for them3010 http://www.alde.se/media/110714/v-3010-60-rev-1487-us-can.pdf

If you read on page 8, k believe that changing the glycol should be quite easy. @ChanWhas previously recommended a couple of tools to check the pH of the mixture. That seems like a good idea, but we should be able to simply drain, refill the reservoir slowly, and let the automatic bleeder do its job.

I have never noticed this part in the manual before.

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2016
    That "automatic bleeder" looks a lot like the air separators in my home radiant system. If so, it might not be designed to remove massive amounts of air, but just residual bits that 'separate' from the heating of the fluid. Be nice if it was for this kind of job though. Maybe we can get Ed Kauffman to confirm its function.

On our Tab's system, there is also a manual air bleeder valve in the rubber hose under the back shelf, on the passenger side. I think that would be what to use when refilling the system. Alde suggests adjusting the level of the Tab to make that bleeder the 'high point' while refilling and bleeding.

Deltaboy59, from what I've read, the alcohol level (freeze point) and the alkalinity are the important properties that need to be monitored in the coolant. Each can be measured with relatively inexpensive tools. If you find out more, I'd be interested to know about it. I tested the fluid in ours this fall and it was within the recommended specification for alkalinity. Freeze point was a little higher than I'd like, so I added a bit of 100% glycol.

It's interesting that jkjenn has found info that shows that Alde allows for a 5-year change-period with a 'good quality coolant'. I wonder where we get 'good quality coolant'! And how much it costs...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:

It's interesting that jkjenn has found info that shows that Alde allows for a 5-year change-period with a 'good quality coolant'. I wonder where we get 'good quality coolant'! And how much it costs...
    I think most of us would be willing to shell over a few more bucks to last another 3 years.

• deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
    Where do I purchase glycol??

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Good question.

There've been a couple threads here chewing on that very problem. You might search the forum for "glycol".

Or just go to Amazon...

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    From one of the previous glycol discussions - related more to topping off the reservoir - this was the recommended product ... Seirra Low Tox ... So, I'd imagine that'd work as a replacement.
    I found it at an auto parts store.

• RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I have also read on the FB tab page that some people have contacted Alde directly and received product from them. That said, I think I recall it being the Vancouver Alde office that was getting the favorable reviews for customer service, not a US one for whatever that is worth.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The great thing about this thread is that "yawl" are gonna have a great solution in hand well in advance of when mine is due to be changed out.   =)  smilie
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Mike - Was thinking the same :-)
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    PXLated said:
    Mike - Was thinking the same :-)
    I love innovation and innovative people and there is a ton of it here!  2thumbsgif
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Don'tjkjenn said:
    If you read on page 8, k believe that changing the glycol should be quite easy. @ChanWhas previously recommended a couple of tools to check the pH of the mixture. That seems like a good idea, but we should be able to simply drain, refill the reservoir slowly, and let the automatic bleeder do its job.

I have never noticed this part in the manual before.
    "Quite easily " and "simply " seem premature from someone that hasn't  attempted the exchange.
    My original question was... Has anyone successfully accomplished this exchange....? Wonder why the factory uses a bleeder tool if the auto bleeder takes care of this problem as you state ?
    Lot's of good info here... but still no answer to my original question...? 
    Deltaboy59 - Not surprised that nobody's done it yet, looks like you get to be the first - Expect a complete manual when you've successfully completed the mission :-)
    i assumed that Custoner Support would provide that...but alas...
    I am not sure I understand what you are expecting to be complicated? Both the drain and fill are easily accessible. What am I missing?