Options

Utility platform for non outbacks?

I've seen those utility platforms on the tongues of the outback editions.  We have a 2014 CS, anyone know if they are available for retrofit to other models?
T@@bulous
2014 T@B CS Maxx
TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
Martha Lake, WA

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yes, you can order them from Little Guy.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Thank you!! For some reason I couldn't find them from my phone mobile browser.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    I would like to share another option for your consideration.  That would be using a luggage rack on your tow vehicle. We have an Outback...which we love, however; there are some negatives to the utility platform. There may be tongue weight limitations with your tow vehicle. The utility platform does make access to the gray and black pipes a little more difficult. We are concerned about the potential hazard of containers coming open or possibly getting loose while towing the vehicle. Potential mounting of the spare on the front frame may be more difficult.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! :)  We plan to mount the generator to one side and a fuel tank to the other.  Our vehicle's tongue weight max is 660 lbs so that shouldn't be an issue.  The spare tire stays under the rear for now, our T@B oddly came with 15" tires so we got lots of clearance down there.

I am concerned about access to the gray tank drain (we don't have black tank), so I'll probably check out an outback model at the dealer for a reference.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Dave28 said:
    I would like to share another option for your consideration.  That would be using a luggage rack on your tow vehicle. We have an Outback...which we love, however; there are some negatives to the utility platform. There may be tongue weight limitations with your tow vehicle. The utility platform does make access to the gray and black pipes a little more difficult. We are concerned about the potential hazard of containers coming open or possibly getting loose while towing the vehicle. Potential mounting of the spare on the front frame may be more difficult.
    The issue with a luggage rack is the noise and hit on gas mileage.
    Thanks for the info! :)  We plan to mount the generator to one side and a fuel tank to the other.  Our vehicle's tongue weight max is 660 lbs so that shouldn't be an issue.  The spare tire stays under the rear for now, our T@B oddly came with 15" tires so we got lots of clearance down there.

I am concerned about access to the gray tank drain (we don't have black tank), so I'll probably check out an outback model at the dealer for a reference.
    You can inexpensively pick up an extension for your dump lines. http://amzn.to/1OTwPrm

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I 2nd the recommendation for the extension(s) for the gray tank (and black if you have it) - Sis has Outback. I'd also suggest finding the longer drill accessory for dropping the stabilizers. They are hard to get to with the rack there. Someone here just took a manual crank and sawed off the bent part and voila! extended drill stabilizer accessory. I did read that LG may be making a longer crank for the drill, but haven't really looked into that. Even with a regular T@B, the rear stabilizers are a wee far to reach when your back has a cramp from driving all day.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    jkjenn said:
    Dave28 said:
    The issue with a luggage rack is the noise and hit on gas mileage.

I can verify that. We have a kanga roof pack that we have used when tent camping, back when we hauled a ton of kid stuff along. We'd see a 5-6 MPG hit at highway speeds.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2016
    I know there is talk of carrying weight on the tongue and was aware of one guy who took his T@B up to Alaska with fuel cans, gear, etc. strapped to the tongue and found out later that he'd exceeded the weight of the tongue and this resulted in damage to the tongue of his trailer, so wanted to share this T@B trailer label so that folks are aware of he warnings and info therein.....  I inquired about this via the factoryand they responded as follows:

We actually consulted with our frame manufacturer regarding this and the following warning label was generated (see attached). Please share this sticker - there are several warnings associated with it.  Please note, the term 'tongue' is defined as the area between the first cross member and the coupler.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Are there places where one could take a trailer and have the tongue weight measured?
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Are there places where one could take a trailer and have the tongue weight measured?
    Yes, if you do an Internet search or even call the local uhaul places, they might be able to tell you. Also, you can do it yourself with a bathroom scale, or buy special scales.

• Options
    Wow that's a LOT of leeway, I can't imagine trying to put 500 lbs to the tongue; its only holding 150-250 or so on the model range.

And, for those of you with a 1 ton truck, you're out of....luck?
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Is there a maximum weight limit for the platform?
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    I will admit the 1-ton truck part surprised me. I wonder what the issue is. As for the extended hitch is that referring to a longer ball mount, a hitch extension (would never use), or both.

I don't have a T@B but will down the road. Always try to be up to date on them.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2016
    Photomom, you can get you trailer weighed at a feed store that has a truck scale. I pulled in and they explained to me how to do it, in steps, to get the tongue weight and the gross trailer weight.

I've also simply used a bathroom scale, for the tongue.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Photomom, you can get you trailer weighed at a feed store that has a truck scale. I pulled in and they explained to me how to do it, in steps, to get the tongue weight and the gross trailer weight.

I've also simply used a bathroom scale, for the tongue.
    Feed store.... not many of those in the city.

• Options
    Jenn, Thank goodness the Tab has wheels! B-)

I don't understand all this talk about putting excessive weight on the tongue. What happened to the 'ten percent rule', ie 'the tongue weight should be 10% of the weight of the trailer'... ?

The bathroom scale is good for up to probably 300#, which ought to be enough.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    I had talked to the Factory in regard putting a Honda 2000i on the platform. I was told no problem. So we bought the Platform and installed it ourselves on our 2016T@B Max S. Did some rough estimates for what we want to put on the platform and our added storage box and we are at about 280lbs which includes the propane and battery so I think we will be fine
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I had talked to the Factory in regard putting a Honda 2000i on the platform. I was told no problem. So we bought the Platform and installed it ourselves on our 2016T@B Max S. Did some rough estimates for what we want to put on the platform and our added storage box and we are at about 280lbs which includes the propane and battery so I think we will be fine
    It would take a lot to push the tongue weight over 700 lbs. 

People often forget to factor GVCW (Gross Vehicle combination Weight), which can negatively impact performance, when exceeded Jeep has a nice little calculator for helping you determine how cargo impacts capacities. 

• Options
    @Photomomhere is a write up from eTrailer on the various ways to measure, including commercial scales: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

• Options
    John_and_Kris, sorry, I didn't mean to sound as though I was criticizing your idea of using the platform in that way. Sounds like a great addition.

I was more referring to the 500# and 700# weights that were being suggested. I just don't know how those kinds of numbers can even be part of conversation, because, by the so-called '10% rule', that would calculate to the Tab weighing in at 5000-7000 pounds! The Tab axle is only rated to 2800 or so, I think.

I thought I'd read that exceeding 10% on the tongue weight could cause handling problems on the highway, but maybe I'm wrong about that. I know it can create a problem if your tongue weight is too low.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    T@b Tongue Weight = 155lbs
    T@b Curb Weight = 1,670lbs
    GAWR (axle) = 2900lbs

Added to T@b
    Full propane = 37lbs
    Group 24 battery = 42lbs
    Accessory Box = 5lbs?

I found this information about the "10% Rule"
    Tongue weight should be approximately 10% to 15% of the total weight of the trailer. Generally, more is better, but much more than 15% may actually increase the likelihood of sway, especially if the tongue weight approaches or exceeds the tongue weight rating of the tow vehicle. Note that this applies to pop-ups, travel trailers, and utility trailers.

So, if you exceed 15% of the trailer weight in tongue weight, (250.5), Can that be counterbalanced by the way you load the T@b as long as neither exceeds you TV tongue weight capacity or the 700lb capcity?

I also would be interested to know what the GAWR is for the Outback.

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Easy for tongue weight to increase,
    move spare tire forward- 40 lbs
    Arvika bike rack- 37 lbs
    2 bicycles 28 lbs each- 56 lbs
    Also, remember to dump holding tanks, as the gray and black are forward of the axle.
    11 gal freshwater tank rides over the axle.
    Doesn't take much to increase weight.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I think I found the axle weight-rating on a sticker on the front of the axle tube (pretty sure it was big enough print to read it without crawling under there.)

jkjenn said:
    ........... I also would be interested to know what the GAWR is for the Outback.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Regarding the Alaska-trip guy M_Mike was talking about, it only takes one person to do something (I'll just say "unsafe") so someone has to create a warning label. Who in the world would drive with a full sunshade inside the windshield? Yet there is a warning for the user to take down the sunshield before driving. About Mike's pict of warning label, I am curious about the 3/4 ton TV limitation on the warning label; however, it doesn't affect me since I drive a medium-sized pickup. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    @Photomomhere is a write up from eTrailer on the various ways to measure, including commercial scales: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx
    Thank you. I am not terribly worried. We plan to mount the spare on the tongue and bolt a couple of plastic storage bins to the aluminum platform. Those will be used for relatively lightweight things like various hoses, adapters, etc. And my TV is rated for 750 lbs tongue weight, but I'd like to know rather than guess.
  • Options
    \
    Photomom said:
    jkjenn said:
    Thank you. I am not terribly worried. We plan to mount the spare on the tongue and bolt a couple of plastic storage bins to the aluminum platform. Those will be used for relatively lightweight things like various hoses, adapters, etc. And my TV is rated for 750 lbs tongue weight, but I'd like to know rather than guess.
    If I were to get the platform It would be to for similar purposes.