Simple, Easy Meals - When camping food just won't do.

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
Was going to entitle this "Cooking Lessons for Frank" as inspiration comes out of a thread about inverters to run a microwave so Frank won't starve to death. Photomom offered to collect recipes but that thread started off with a 10 hour crockpot recipe so thought a new thread with pics of really simple, one pot meals might be better - Simple meals that any of us can make - Even Frank ;-)

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If you can grill and boil water, this will get you a one pot meal for two. The spaghetti is pot length and doesn't require draining. Just put whatever amount you want in the pan, barely cover with water, bring to boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes. While that's boiling, put the sausage on the grill. The tomatoes, peppers and fresh basil are optional. When spaghetti sauce is done, throw some sauce on top, slice up the sausage, peppers and tomatoes and throw them in. Heat up a bit, toss and serve.

Here's one that uses rice. Just brown up some hamp (I thru in some tomatoes since I had them), dump in the rice mix, cover with water and bring to boil, simmer for seven minutes and your set to serve.

Another one with rice but using sausage... Throw the sausage on the grill, boil the rice mix, slice the sausage and throw on top and your good to go...

edited March 2016
    There's an endless combination of rice/pasta and sausage you can throw together. Tons of various rice flavors/mixes on the store shelf and there's three brands of natural chicken sausage (Aidells, AlFresco, OpenNature) that come in a variety of blends from hot/spicy to a sweet.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    2 words: Hamburger Helper.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I sense a gradual decrease in vegetable content through this progression. 

Back when my knees permitted backpacking, I would dice and dehydrate vegetables - multi color peppers, zucchini and yellow summer squash, carrots, tomatoes, kale and other greens, and other things. Dehydrated veggies take up almost no room, store a long time, and could be used in any of the above recipes. All you need to do is cover with a bit of boiling water 30 minutes before using. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    These look great. Thx for the ideas. Maybe frank will survive. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
    jkjenn said:
    2 words: Hamburger Helper.
    Ugh, why not just thrown in a bunch of salt and MSG. You can do much better. 
    edited March 2016
    Jenn - I prefer simething a little more daring and less gooey than what I ate as a kid - And something other than hamburger or tuna - but whatever wirks fir ya :-)
    Photomom - Those weren't three consecutive meals - shot over a month's time I suppose. The nice thing about those sausage (in addition to the flavor/style variety) is they're fully cooked, vacuum-packed, all-natural chicken sausage so last in the fridge/cooler for almost ever. The spaghetti one I made today.
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - I prefer simething a little more daring and less gooey than what I ate as a kid -
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. =) Tuna sandwiches and PB&J are other staples.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PB&H (honey--requires no refrigeration) on a tortilla is a quick lunch. I spend more time on the evening meal.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Jenn - I call those snacks, or lunch. Rarely "meals/dinner" :-;
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

This easy. Grab a bag of frozen, shelled and deveined shrimp, buy some of those small sweet peppers, buy some 12" wooden skewers, and grab a bag of salad and your choice of salad dressing. 

Thaw the shrimp by soaking in cold water in your sink.  Cut the top off the peppers and the seeds come with the top. Cut the peppers in large pieces. 

Put the shrimp and peppers on the skewers. Put aluminum foil on the grill (saves cleaning later), spray cooking oil on the aluminum foil. Put the skewers on the foil, season to taste (Mrs. Dash and fresh ground pepper). Put on medium heat, turn as needed. When the shrimp are done, turn off grill, serve with a fresh salad. 

(This was my "congrats" dinner last week when I finally climbed part of the way up the Superstition Mountain!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Photomom said:
    Back when my knees permitted backpacking, I would dice and dehydrate vegetables - multi color peppers, zucchini and yellow summer squash, carrots, tomatoes, kale and other greens, and other things. Dehydrated veggies take up almost no room, store a long time, and could be used in any of the above recipes. All you need to do is cover with a bit of boiling water 30 minutes before using. 
    I don't care for dehydrated meals. I wish I did, they would be so easy.

PXLated said:
    Jenn - I call those snacks, or lunch. Rarely "meals/dinner" :-;
    I am usually eating more small meals than a big meal when I travel. You will find granola bars or Cliff bars as a staple in the TV, along with a flat of bottled water.

In the summer months, I will sometimes try to eat an early dinner and grill over an open fire. I am still working out solutions for travel cooking.

Verna - Looks good - I just get tired of grillin or grilled stuff - Even though I did heat the sausage on the grill rather than frying but that's more of a "get it out of the kitchen so I have the cooktop open for other things" deal though.
    Jenn - Do you eat like that at home also or just on the road?
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    My go to is whole grain boil-in-bag rice.  Ready in 10 minutes.  You can season to taste as it has no salt, etc.  You can add to this any pre-packaged, pouched, canned or prepare yourself meat.  I always carry raw vegetables to complement: carrots, radishes, onions, celery, tomatoes, etc.  

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

PXLated said:
    Jenn - Do you eat like that at home also or just on the road?
    No, I don't eat the same way at home. I am a big George Foreman griller and occasional slow cooker user.

edited March 2016
    Jenn - Well then, if/when you ever go major on the road, betting those snacks just won't cut it.
    Rzrbug - I prefer the ones pictured as they come in such a variety that I don't have to stock a spice rack. Can use them as a base to a meal or a side. For a side you can dump whatever portion you want in the pan and just barely cover it with water (that's the key) and it comes out perfect. Same with the pasta.
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    PXLated said:
    Rzrbug - I prefer the ones pictured as they come in such a variety that I don't have to stock a spice rack. Can use them as a base to a meal or a side.
    Understand that.  I even occasionally cheat with freeze-dried junk because no seasoning required, but on short trips like I usually take, the extra spices are not that big a deal.  BTW, I also have some of the Knorr stuff in stock, but I don't care for most of their seasoning.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

RZRBUG - Know what ya mean. Kind of have to try the various brands and flavors and figure out which meets with your tastes. Makes a world of difference if you can supplement with some fresh herbs. The chopped fresh basil in that spaghetti really jazed it up.
    I ran across this thread from last year. Some good ideas here. http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/635/easy-camping-food-solutions
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    PXLated, RZRBUG et al. - Thanks for all the suggestions.  Didn't know those rice dishes even existed (only go down the frozen food isles at the store).  I hate cooking odors in the house (or TAB), so I bought a Coleman two-burner stove last week.  Made some egg beaters and frozen hash browns for breakfast, so there's culinary hope for me yet.  A camping friend and his wife also hate the idea of using a microwave in the field, so they are supposed to come over and show me how to cook some simple meals.  Just. Need. To. Get. Motivated.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    I'll contribute a favorite recipe. My friend Melissa brought these muffins along on a ladies' kayak camping trip a few years ago, and they were still yummy after 6 days in a bear canister. 

Rather than duplicating the recipe here, I'll share this link: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/05/27/bran-beautiful-moist-marvelous-muffins there are step by step directions with pictures! You can do this!

Make ahead and bring along for a quick breakfast or snack. If you have the ability to bake while camping, you can mix the batter ahead of time and keep in your T@B fridge until you're ready to bake a few at a time. 
    If you have a grill, pizza is easy to make. Use Naan breads, pitas, Boboli breads, or prebaked pizza trusts for the base. Heat up your grill and bake the base top side down until browned a bit. Flip, spread with sauce (the Boboli sauce packets are good), whatever toppings you like, and grated or sliced mozzarella cheese. Bake until bottom is crispy, toppings are heated through, and cheese is melted. You can literally make this in 10 minutes or less. 
    Need pics - We eat with our eyes :-)
    Frank - It's pretty simple once you get into it. I originally shot the photos trying to get one of my brothers motivated. He'd been complaining about being bored with his simple meals. It's good to roam the grocery store once in awhile, never know what one will find :-)
    PXLated said:
    Need pics - We eat with our eyes :-)
    When we start camping with our T@B I plan to make a bunch of these meals and will fully document them!
    Cool - My eyes are watering already.
  • DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2016
    Some amazing ideas here and all can be done on @PXLated 's grill. That bread pudding is right up my alley. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-grill-in-foil.page-1.html

DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

Yummy - Great looking stuff.