Options

First Trip with New 2016 T@B S MAX (Modified)

2»

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Similar to Verna - Switch fridge from battery to propane then fire up the Alde. By the time I'm finished up with the rest of the setup, I'm toasty.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    Verna said:
    I have been camping in my T@B since Jan 1st (78 days and counting).

While I have encountered a few sub freezing nights, I have never tried to use both electric and propane. With patience and a sweatshirt, the T@B interior heats up quickly while I'm setting up other "things".

I always make sure the heat is the first thing I attend to, whether it be boondocking and turning on the propane, or camping on the few electric sites I've had and plugging the electric cable in first. It's amazing how quickly it warms up if you are busy!  "A watched pot never boils."
    This is true and also heats up 2xbas fast if you fold the bench down.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jctangneyjctangney Member Posts: 76

We had the factory add slots to the "shelf" in the back, similar to those on the side, so that it lets more heat out that way. Nothing as beautiful as what Verna did, but it does help with the heat.

2016 T@B S Max, near Portland, OR

Photo Galleries www.pbase.com/jctangney

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, the extra slots do help, no matter what shape ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Slots are the only way to go - When I first got my T@B (after having a radient heat house for 30 years) it just didn't make sense to trap all that heat back under the shelf. I may still put a curved piece on foil insulation under there to direct all the heat to the holes.
  • Options

I finally got info back from Elsie regarding the "built-in Surge Protector". Even though Chris Baum assured me it was standard, she thinks he was thinking of the battery shut-off switch. She said there is no built-in surge protection! Bummer as we are getting ready for 10 night trip soon at multiple campsites. Guess I will head down to Camping World and pick up a portable one. I would prefer to go with the one Jenn mentions in her "Do I need a Surge Protector?", but don't have time to get it and have it installed.

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    I asked my dealer and he called the factory today as well. No built in surge protector.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    The gurgling sound is indicative of a low coolant level in the Alde reservoir (type in "gurgling" in the search box for more detailed info).  Very easy fix.  
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Frank - You can get the gurgling even when the level is ok. Mine gurgles but it's not real loud. Higher speed on the circulation pump will also do it.
  • Options

How is the knob different than the pump speed you can set via the digital monitor?

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Frank - You can get the gurgling even when the level is ok. Mine gurgles but it's not real loud. Higher speed on the circulation pump will also do it.
    Agreed. The higher the pump speed, the more noise from fluid moving in the resevouir. I keep mine at 1.5 - very quite and heats the cabin nicely.
  • Options

jctangney said:

How is the knob different than the pump speed you can set via the digital monitor

You can set the pump speed from the digital monitor? Wow. 
  • Options

Here is what it says in the manual:

*Pump speed
    The circulation pump’s capacity can be
    remote controlled from the panel.

NOTICE
    Functions marked with * indicate that the symbol for the function is displayed on the Control Panel even if the accessory is not installed!

NOTICE
    A pump with remote control must be
    installed in order that this function
    can be used (see the manual for the
    vehicle, boat or building).

So: I have no idea whether it is actually setting the pump speed or not!

• Options
    I doubt your pump has a remote control function. Someone posted some great photos of the pump speed knob and its location.  Very easy to adjust. Can't find it because of the "One Word" search engine on this forum.
  • Options

I sent an email to service@pleasantvalleytrailers.com and got a short response back fro Edward Kauffman, Warranty Administrator at Pleasant Valley Trailers. Here is what he said:

"Yours has the PWM Style pump."

So, it apparently is now included! Note: our T@B was delivered to the dealer on March 5th, 2016.

• Options
  • Options

Not sure how long they have been doing it, but assume all new and recent models have it. My wife is the one who sleeps on the side with the Alde, and she likes to think of the sound as a babbling brook!

BTW: Ed Kauffman also confirmed that they do NOT currently install surge protectors, though he thought they were a good idea and it may happen sometime as a model year upgrade.

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited March 2016
    OutbackAZ said:
    I doubt your pump has a remote control function. Someone posted some great photos of the pump speed knob and its location.  Very easy to adjust. Can't find it because of the "One Word" search engine on this forum.
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/526/the-need-to-bleed/p1

Scroll down to "RTaB's" post. The pics you are referring to are imbedded in there.

Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    In that same discussion ChanW showed images of those pumps with the adjustment, and those without. I assume those without are the ones the Alde display panel can adjust.

• Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    I asked my dealer and he called the factory today as well. No built in surge protector.
    Good to know. Thanks for checking guys.

DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited March 2016
    jctangney said:
    In that same discussion ChanW showed images of those pumps with the adjustment, and those without. I assume those without are the ones the Alde display panel can adjust.
    Hmm, dunno. Maybe check this out and compare the pictures of the panels and pumps against what you have. (I have the analog panel and the magical tiny "red dial" on my pump). 

http://www.alde.co.uk/downloads/alde_cat_mobile_19.pdf
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.