Jockey Wheel Issue on LG T@bs?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
edited March 2014 in Trailer & Towing
I have read in several places about the problem of the jockey wheel falling down during transit. Is that unique to the older T@bs or is it an issue on the new ones, too? Do owners of the new T@bs tie theirs up while in transit as a precaution?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• I just pull the pin and remove it when in transit .... takes about 30 seconds.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Good thought... seems like a better idea.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Jenn -- That's what I do, too. It gives me better peace of mind. I know it's another thing to remember before you get ready to tow, but it will all become habit after a few times. B-)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    As others have stated, best practice is to remove the wheel while in transit.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the jocky wheels on the AL-KO frames (which are what the Dutchman T@Bs are built on) are removable, but they seem to be easily broken.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If you get into a low area or dip while pulling your trailer you risk not only damaging the jockey wheel, but also the trailer jack should you hit something. I have always removed my jockey wheel on my Silver Shadow or any trailer I tow. I either store it in the back of my tow vehicle or in my diamond plate aluminum storage box. I keep the pin inserted in the wheel too so I don't misplace it. I also carry along a large square block of wood too and lower the jack down onto the wood block when I reach the desired location when I am camping. For me personally I use my jockey wheel more around my home then at the campground.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Thanks for the explanation, Mike. I will plan on removing mine, too.

• jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    JkJenn, when I first started researching T@bs, I remember reading the old Dutchman T@bs had a jockey wheel that folded up and people had to bungee them down to keep then from dropping down. I think that might be what you are referring to. LG uses a different hitch and we just have to remove the wheel.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    It's a good idea for owners of Dutchmen T@Bs to bungee the wheel.  Some have drilled a hole and use a pin.  If you don't tighten enough after lifting into it's riding place, it can jiggle loose and become damaged.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    LOL!!!  Even a cheese colored jockey wheel to eh?   :))
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Well of course!
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

Thanks, everyone. Yes, exactly as Crystal,put it, it was regarding the old models. Taking it off sounds easy enough!

• joansiejoansie Member Posts: 19
    Cut a piece out of a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe so it snaps over the tube and is tight against the crank. Hold everything in place.
    Ron and Joan, 2007 T@B Fireball, 2010 Forester The Pull T@B
  • KarenNGeorgeKarenNGeorge Member Posts: 6
    On the 2014 models of T@B's I find my hitch ball is low when aligning to my trailer hitch. I keep the trailer hitch tilted high to maintain drainage from rain and moisture. So when I've back up to lower the hitch there is not much room to remove the wheel. Has anyone built up the platform that holds the jack?
    George
    2014 T@B "S"
    2014 T@B "S" 
    Bluffton, SC
  • TABooTABoo Member Posts: 30
    If you don't plan to need the wheel, I would suggest using a jack stand. I found that at some sites to level the trailer I could not get low enough with the wheel and this works great.