Options

Raise the elevation of the T@B similar to Outback model

JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
Just out of curiousity, anybody had done this modification?
2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    I believe @jkJenn had the offroad axle and tires installed on hers.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

Drawbacks to doing this include the plastic wheel-well trim now looking out of proportion in relation to the tire (purely cosmetic) and the stabilizer bars may not reach the ground when fully extended.  You may also need a different trailer ball height.  However, the extra ground clearance is worth it.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

The factory did it for me. Also have the Outb AZ ck tires.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Jenn's got a beautiful setup. I don't think the height of fenders takes away from the squee-cuteness of the rig :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    My Outback tires and wheel wells look just like Jenn's.  Aesthetically, having the round fender trim match the curve of the tire would be preferred.  But, I'm just a trailer snob! 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    A woman actually stopped me on my way out of Colorado to ask when T@bs started having higher clearance. She was a former owner who had to sell to get something with more clearance before they made the Outback.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BrettBrett Member Posts: 6
    Hi Jkjenn,
    Do you know if those modifications could be done to a CS model?

Thanks!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2016 F150 SuperCab 4x4
    NorCal - Napa Wine Country
  • Options
    Brett said:
    Hi Jkjenn,
    Do you know if those modifications could be done to a CS model?

Thanks!
    I don't know, Brett.

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @Brett, we were originally going to order a CS-S with the off-road axle and wheel/tires. Talked to Scott Hubble and he said it could be done.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    BrettBrett Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2016
    Thanks @Mr_Mrs_Gnome !
    That's great to hear.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2016 F150 SuperCab 4x4
    NorCal - Napa Wine Country
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    I believe the lift is just a pitched axle with larger wheels and tires. The difference in the pitched axle over a standard one is the angle that the trailing arm is attached to the torsion bar that run through the axle. Think of it like a clock. Set it lower so when under load the trailer will sit higher.

If you do not want to replace the axle you can install lift blocks. Dexter sells then and you can then add larger wheels and tires. The axle will be at the same height but if it is just more clearance for on the highway it's a good solution.
  • Options
    Does anybody modify their T@B with Axle Lift Block? Is it safe to do this kind of modification?
  • Options
    Had two incident of broken sewer valve while traveling. Luckily, the tanks were empty!!!
  • Options
    I had the axle used in the Outback retrofitted to my non-Outback T@b. I think that is probably the easiest way to go.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2016
    Jenn, what Hunter99 said is interesting. The torsion bar suspension theoretically can be 'adjusted' by turning the trailing arm downwards a bit, to give more road clearance (on the old VW bug, it was a splined shaft on the end of the torsion bar, and it could be adjusted one 'tooth'at a time.)

So do you know if Pleasant Valley actually changed out your axle, or did they simply 'adjust' the torsion bar 'drop', on your existing axles?

hunter99, do you know if the AlKo (2014 Tab) axles' torsion bars are actually adjustable? I seem to remember seeing something about it in their docs somewhere.

This might make it easy(er) to lift the Tab a bit.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I got an entirely new axle. The Outback axle is pitched.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yeah I think what I'm remembering is their description of different pitch angles on different models of their axles.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - How's your new TV ground clearance compare to your old Wrangler? Had one parked next to me and it looked a lot lower. My thiught was...Hmmm, winder if Jenns T@B has more clearance than here TV.
  • Options
    I have a model that has an air suspension so I can adjust it as needed. On the highway it goes to "areodynamic" height and it has a park mode and 2 heights for off road. Also, when going off road you can easily remove the front fascia for more clearance.

There is also an SRT model. That model is lower and meant to act like a more high performance vehicle. It has a hellcat engine. 

It will still be lower than my Wrangler, which had a 2.5" suspension lift installed, but should be more than sufficient for what I need.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    OMG Jeep-Speak! My sis' BF has one and does that. We just "smile and nod".
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Oh, you won't hear much Jeep-Speak from me, it's not a passion, just a TV :-)
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    2015 alko axle doubtful on being adjustable
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S