Options

New 2016 Chevy Silverado

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
edited April 2016 in Trailer & Towing
I just picked up my new truck yesterday and it came with a built-in in-dash brake controller via the towing package.   I already have the Tekonsha wireless controller (mounted on T@B frame) and was wondering if there are any conflicts or potential problems I should be aware of between the two different systems?   I know that I will need to pare the new truck with the Tekonsha controller and cannot fathom any issues electrically, but maybe I'm missing something here and wanted to be safe, at least ask and hear from anyone else who's been down this path.  Thanks!

Also, if anyone is pulling with a new Silverado I would be curious as to the hitch you are using or basically what the drop is on the hitch?   I can figure it out but am just curious.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
1.jpg 152.1K

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Wow, that's a beauty! Congratulations!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Thanks Jenn, these new trucks are amazing and the technology that they build into them is incredible.  I'll probably have to take a night class to figure everything out!  LOL   I was driving home last night and found out that the bright beam comes on by itself, when the road is free of uncoming vehicles or when the distance between vehicles ahead of you is far enough not to impair anyone else.  The lights dim immediately when oncoming traffic approaches and it kind of freaked me out at first, until I figured out what was happening....  Talk about amazing!   :o

https://youtu.be/aUaXki_jXoQ?t=12
  • Options
    Mike, it's true. It is the same way with my new Grand Cherokee. The vehicle learns how you drive to maximize fuel efficiency. I love the self-dimming high beams, too. May favorite parts, however, are the blindspot and rear detections and back-up camera. Hooking up is a breeze with the back-up camera. I thought it was pretty easy before, but the camera is awesome. If you have one of those engines that use machine learning, you will  probably find a note in your user manual not to tow for the first 2, 000 miles.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    If you have one of those engines that use machine learning, you will  probably find a note in your user manual not to tow for the first 2, 000 miles
    They didn't say anything about the towing and would be curious why?   I probably will not have accumulated that amount of mileage by then so will need to look at it or at least find out why.   Thanks for the heads up!  
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    If you have one of those engines that use machine learning, you will  probably find a note in your user manual not to tow for the first 2, 000 miles
    They didn't say anything about the towing and would be curious why?   I probably will not have accumulated that amount of mileage by then so will need to look at it or at least find out why.   Thanks for the heads up!  
    I was wrong, it was only first 500 miles, but then drive no faster than 50 mph during the first 500 miles of towing and not to make any start at full throttle.

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Very nice, and shinny! :lol:  Just put the T@B in the bed and go!

We like to go to the auto shows (both DC and Philly) and right now it is all about the gadgets being put into new cars.  The engine technology alone is fantastic, and how they can do more with less fuel, but what people really want, and what is driving sales, are the gadgets.  Vehicles have really become rolling PC's.

Although, me, I like mine a little low tech, I hate auto locks, don't use a back-up camera (which will be standard soon via government fiat) and am happy to decide myself when to turn on my headlights.  But, I am probably an outlier in that regard.

They are very nice trucks, and you won't even know the T@B is back there.  You might even get better mileage, even with a bigger vehicle.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    jkjenn said:
    I was wrong, it was only first 500 miles, but then drive no faster than 50 mph during the first 500 miles of towing and not to make any start at full throttle.

I've got a good warranty!  ;)

• Options
    Aunt SueAunt Sue Member Posts: 15
    Pretty! so what color is your Tab?  I'm sure that is what you are going for:) 

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited April 2016
    w00t Mike! Congratz! I have the little cousin of it, the 2015 GMC Canyon. When mine grows up it's gonna look like yours (but mine is bronze). I almost got the black one. Sorta wished I had in a way. 

Tell me what you think about the HMI (entertainment) system. My Canyon hates my ipods and it's program has been re-flashed twice. 

PS The new 2016 Canyons have a composite bed, just like the Toyotas. Mine was the last year steel was used. Ford went to sheet aluminum. What is your bed constructed out of (TRUCK bed.. geesh.... no gutters here.. hehe)? Ugh, I can't spell today.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    She's purty. B)
    We're patiently  ;) waiting for the Rideline release. 
    aaaaaaaaaany day now, Honda. 
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Congrats.....totally jealous
  • Options
    BryanRBryanR Member Posts: 32
    Mike - I just purchased a new Silverado in the past couple of weeks. I am using a 6" drop which puts me at about 17" before being hitched. I just passed the break in mileage on the truck and have only hitched it up once for a test tow. The first trip with the new vehicle will be next weekend.
    Bryan & Vicki 2014 T@B CS-S MaXX ** 2016 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
    Transplanted Hoosier in Richmond, VA
    Go Colts!

• Options
    Aunt Sue said:
    Pretty! so what color is your Tab?  I'm sure that is what you are going for:) 

My T@B is silver and blue.

• Options
    BryanR said:
    Mike - I just purchased a new Silverado in the past couple of weeks. I am using a 6" drop which puts me at about 17" before being hitched. I just passed the break in mileage on the truck and have only hitched it up once for a test tow. The first trip with the new vehicle will be next weekend.
    Thanks Bryan!  
  • Options
    BryanR congratz on your new TV as well! I am partial to the GMC/Chevy trucks (first one was a 94 extended cab v8 350) and I love any new pickup. Mike's pict is gorgeous (the TRUCK). :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    BryanRBryanR Member Posts: 32
    Finally have the new tow vehicle ready for this upcoming weekend.
    Bryan & Vicki 2014 T@B CS-S MaXX ** 2016 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
    Transplanted Hoosier in Richmond, VA
    Go Colts!

• Options
    Sweet Bryan!!! Gorgeous. Tonneau cover AND holder for kayaks. Brilliant!