2dr Jeep Wrangler TV

MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
Before purchasing our T@B I searched for hours upon hours for anyone towing these with a 2dr Jeep Wrangler.  I was able to find VERY little info on people doing it, so wanted to throw in my 2 cents for others in my shoes.  Tow rating is 2000 lbs and I was concerned once we had it loaded with gear if it would be too much for the jeep to handle.  Would it sway?  Would the short wheelbase cause me to highjack?  Would it pull it up a hill?  Could it stop coming down a hill??  
Good news... the Jeep does just fine!  I do not have an anti-sway hitch & got no sway even at speeds of 65+ mph.  Pulling up the Appalachian mountains was a breeze with no overheating and an automatic transmission.  Stopping with a electronic brake controller installed seems to be ok as long as I stay alert and get off the gas as soon as I see brake lights.  It does bounce a little just to let you know it's there on poorly paved roads, but on smooth roads at times I will forget it's there.  All in all I am very impressed with how it tows and would recommend to any fellow jeepers out there looking for an awesome camper.  
2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    @MrAmazon thanks for the report! What year is your JK? I miss my JKU!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    I also tow with a 1999 TJ Wrangler. I keep the T@B well under the 2000 pound weight by putting the spare tire on the roof of the Jeep, removing the tong jack, (a heavy dude) removed that very heavy fold up table, and carry most junk like a chair, ect. in the Jeep. The fact that the Wrangler tow ball is so close to the differential means that there is little fulcrum arm trying to wag the Jeep.  The closer the tow ball to the differential in any toe car the better. I do not recommend the Wrangler as a toe for everyone but it can be used if you stay below the 2000 pound limit. As always check and adjust your trailer brakes. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    I keep all tools in the Jeep. Or on the front bumper for the last 15 years! The 2 front mirrors are worth their weight in gold to me.  Art
    That's a nice set up!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    Holy flippin wow that's a nice set up Art...the tools in the bumper is genius!! Thanks for the advice.  My jeep is a 2012...

2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Oh you Jeep folks and cool toys! Very nice :) 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    gulfarea said:
    I keep all tools in the Jeep. Or on the front bumper for the last 15 years! The 2 front mirrors are worth their weight in gold to me.  Art

I don't take nearly that many sockets with me, but I sure am trying to figure out how to do this in the passenger side bench storage area for the tools I do take. Great idea!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I miss my Wrangler. :(

• DennisHemingwayDennisHemingway Member Posts: 37

I tow our 2013 T@B S with our 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door with no problem.

2015 Jeep Cherokee tow Vehicle. 

Barstow, CA

On my 1999 I replaced the front bumper with one with the 2 inch hitch on the front so I can steer the boat on its trailer in my backyard slip into the Mobile Al swamp. The larger bumper gave me room to mount the tool box on. It is made of marine starboard and has been out in the sun for 15 years. It has an alarm in it in case any of the tools wanted to take a walk! Art
  • XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I bought mine specifically for use with my 2011 JK, and it worked fine. We recently (last fall) bought a different tow vehicle, but I loved the JK / Tab combo.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
    Jenn- just came across a few pics of your old JKU... Why in the world did you get rid of it?? In my opinion it doesn't get any better than the set up you had! Was that a Gobi roof rack?? 

This is from my trip out west last year with one of my sons. I jave to tell you, this was awesome. Great adventure rig.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • pcaddypcaddy Member Posts: 36
    Here is my 2009 Wangler -- No problems towing Through mountains up to 9800 feet this last summer and this winter/spring -- visited/camped in 10 states at last count.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @pcaddy Very nice-looking combo there! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    MrAmazon said:
    Jenn- just came across a few pics of your old JKU... Why in the world did you get rid of it?? In my opinion it doesn't get any better than the set up you had! Was that a Gobi roof rack?? 
    @MrAmazon - I know! I know! (wipes tears from her face.) I originally had a RTT on the Gobi Stealth rack.

There were a few reasons:
    • First, it was a 2011. I had no mechanical problems with it, but drive across the country every year and don't like to take older vehicles because at some point you start having problems.
    • Second, gas mileage. The 2011 JKU's got awful mileage. Add a Gobi Stealth roof rack, a Rugged Ridge bumper, and a winch, and then tow a T@b and it is pretty horrendous. I could have taken all of the extras off, but what fun is that and it still would not have been great gas mileage. Cross country trips were brutal.
    • Third, I really wanted some of the newer safety features: blind spot detection and rear camera and obstacle detection. It does not replace due diligence, but it is the next best thing, and in some cases, better, than having a passenger in the vehicle with you.
    • Fourth, most of my off road travel is done in the west. Up until this year, that meant it really only got a little over 2 weeks per year of  rugged use. I talked to another local Jeep owner in the same boat. I also realized there was a limit to where I was willing to go, because if you drove across country in your Jeep, you had to drive it back home and I wasn't willing to get in over my head and jeopardize costly repairs on vacation. The most difficult of a trail I ever drove was the Alpine Loop from Ouray to Silverton. I should be able to take that on in my WK2. I don't see me driving anything more difficult than that.
    By the time I have to replace this, the newer JKU's with better fuel efficiency will be out and the bugs worked out of them and I might go back. But, the Grand Cherokee (WK2) Overland with OR2 package is more capable than I initially thought. The air suspension and removing the front fascia gives you a lot more clearance that you see driving around the mall. I also like that the advanced electronics make it a lot tougher to do something really stupid to your vehicle.

The WK2 is a luxurious vehicle. I love the higher tow capacity, the advanced electronics, and the sheer comfort of the vehicle. To be honest, it was too much of a hassle to remove the freedom panels and only did it a handful of times where I use the sunroof most of the time I drive my WK@ (yes, even in the winter.)

Gee my 1999 Wrangler was made last century! It sure has held up well so far & am about to take a 3000 mile trip with it. I looked at new ones but will wait till they get the bugs out of the new motors like the heads cracking that I think they fixed. Art
    Hey, Jeepers- just in case if anyone wants a lift kit for a 2011 JK Wrangler, I have a Teraflex 2.5 coil / Bilstein lift kit I never installed prior to trading in my Wrangler. Truth is, though- I think I'm saving it for the next one. Gotta love Jeeps- the dealer gave me $4k less than i paid for mine 4 years and 65,000 miles before.
  • TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    Hey Jen, Art, looking to replace my daily beater (99 Jeep 4dr Sport, 6spd man.) TV, but holding out for the 4dr PU that's coming out....fingers crossed.
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
    @jkjenn- All very valid reasons! And to be honest many of the same thoughts have run through my rugged wrangler obsessed mind.  I am on my 5th wrangler and may finally make the jump like you did before I hit my 6th, just can't quite make the leap in fear I will have severe withdrawal & need to be admitted into wrangler rehab.  I have driven a WK2 and they are definitely the peak of luxury.  I hear what your saying about taking off the freedom panels, the shear thought of the amount of work that it takes to put the top down makes me want to take a nap.... *yawn* 
    The only thing your missing out on are the friendly waves from other jeepers, yet I'm sure you get plenty of attention when you have your tab in tow
    TaBFan said:
    Hey Jen, Art, looking to replace my daily beater (99 Jeep 4dr Sport, 6spd man.) TV, but holding out for the 4dr PU that's coming out....fingers crossed.
    I held out for about a year. It was one of those if the right deal came along, and it did.

MrAmazon said:
    @jkjenn- All very valid reasons! And to be honest many of the same thoughts have run through my rugged wrangler obsessed mind.  I am on my 5th wrangler and may finally make the jump like you did before I hit my 6th, just can't quite make the leap in fear I will have severe withdrawal & need to be admitted into wrangler rehab.  I have driven a WK2 and they are definitely the peak of luxury.  I hear what your saying about taking off the freedom panels, the shear thought of the amount of work that it takes to put the top down makes me want to take a nap.... *yawn* 
    The only thing your missing out on are the friendly waves from other jeepers, yet I'm sure you get plenty of attention when you have your tab in tow

I feel like I have, "middle-aged woman in soccer mom SUV" stamped across the rear window sometimes, and I don't even have kids! Ha! I do miss the waves!

I think FCA has realized the value of the Wrangler brand and I only see them investing in it so I may get to come back.

I might grab another used one to make a dedicated crawler- but we kept hearing about maybe a truck, maybe a diesel... Well, FCA got my money and I got a 4wd diesel:  ;)

They have been dangling the diesel carrot out in front of JK owners for far too long. They need to cash in on it.

Diesel not expected before 2020, but it's a nice looking truck! https://www.yahoo.com/news/2018-jeep-wrangler-more-modern-195200736.html

Actually, FCA already has a diesel in their stable with the Dodge 3.0 V6 Ecodiesel currently offered in the RAM 1500. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
    TaBFan said:
    Actually, FCA already has a diesel in their stable with the Dodge 3.0 V6 Ecodiesel currently offered in the RAM 1500. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/
    Yeah, but we want diesel Jeeps!

jkjenn said:
    TaBFan said:
    Diesel Jeep will be my next vehicle!
    MrAmazon said:
    jkjenn said:
    TaBFan said:
    Diesel Jeep will be my next vehicle!
    Me too Amazon........I just hope they get it right!
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    My TV is a 2012 JKU. In the garage is my 2016 JK Willys. That is my 8th Jeep. Started out with a CJ-7. I think I need help. But when in my firecracker red Willys I'm such a cool old geezer. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • BoulderjayBoulderjay Member Posts: 37
    I vote for a Banks sidewinder intercooled Turbo Kit!