Options

Are there any full-time couples out there?

BatHusbandBatHusband Member Posts: 17
My wife and are are looking towards shirking our daily responsibilities to become full-timers.  I have a question for the FT couple campers.  We all know how the T@B is a fantastic little home but the keyword here is little.  How do you do it without maiming or killing each other?  Don't get me wrong I adore my wife, and even better, I like her too.  We are going from a 1,400 sf house to, well, a T@B.  What do you do that makes it work?  I know we will make it but some tips or advice never huts.  Looking forward to your replies.
B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline - REDuFresne's husband.

May the flames from the bridges I have burned light my path going forward.

Comments

• Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    Well I can say with almost compete certainty that my wife would kill me at some point if we both lived full time in our little T@b.  I love her and she at least tolerates me pretty well after 28 years of marriage.  We are good for about a week in the T@B and then it gets a little too close for comfort.  I think we could handle a few weeks at a time, but only if we are moving to a new location every three or for days.

However, if I went full time RVing with my wife, I do think I could make a trailer like the R-Pod work.  At least on a rainy day you can go to your neutral corners after a round of heated discussion.

I could probably make out with the T@B full time if it was just me, but I just do not think we could make it work with the two of us...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I will be spending a stretch traveling with one of my sister-in-law's this summer. One thing I have realized is that we need to be intentional about getting "space" - whether that be closing our eyes (the non-driver) while driving or taking a walk alone at the campsite. It might mean doing laundry alone, or one of us prepping the meal while the other does something else. You could also leverage the library, find short term volunteer gigs that you do individually (the parks take volunteers), or attending seminars, ranger talks, or other things independently.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Webcrawler, thank you for your honest answer.  I know it will take a lot of give and take and those are thoughts to consider.  JKJenn, your comments re also appreciated.  Also they are pretty good ideas for what we are thinking about.  I've been thinking more and more about the extra "room" tent for the outside as that may also provide some respite as needed.  If anyone else has any other ideas, please share them.  
    B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline - REDuFresne's husband.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I've spent the past two winters in Arizona. The first winter in a Silver Shadow 5x10 teardrop and this winter in my T@B. First of all, I'm a solo camper with a 12 lb Shih Tzu. 

The SS teardrop was rough without a bathroom, but I did have a 5x7 side tent or a privy tent for a portable toilet. Not enough room for two people for extended traveling in my opinion. 

The T@B is wonderful, but still no privacy. It's really hard to dry yourself off in the bathroom after a shower, and sometimes, privacy is a must, not a request. You guys are married so you'll understand.

I do have the Visor XL, which I love, but it has limitations in the wind. I have the T@B tent, but I still haven't used it. The T@B tent would give you almost twice as much room as the T@B itself, so this might be a great addition. But, do you want to put it up every night, take it down every morning if you're on the go? I can see making the effort to put it up if I were staying somewhere for a week or more, but not for just a one night stay. But, I haven't put it up, so I don't know how much effort it will take for one person, and surely it will be easier with two people. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Put the extra room tent on the opposite side of the door.  A bit more privacy available to both parties.
  • Options
    Verna, thank you. I too have no desire to put  the extra room/tent up each night.  Was thinking for places we stayed for a few days.  At this point in our lives privacy is not really a priority.  You help the spouse after a surgery or two modesty goes out the door.  Question, if we have two 6 lb Chihuauas, does that equal one 12 lb Shih Tzu?  All good ideas, thank you!

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I think the space that multiple dogs occupy logarithmically increase no matter how much they weigh. ;) 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    We travel with a 40 pound and 10 pound dog.  We have the CS and sleep across (wheel to wheel). The dogs just naturally join us, tucking into a corner.  We can hardly tell they are there (until they need to go out!). We had a dog bed for the bench under the front window, but it ended up never being used  :)
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Honest opinion, the T@B is great for a single person full timing, but i think it would get cramped for a couple.  Sometimes you just need that space.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA