Options

my spare tire mount on the tongue

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited May 2016 in Tips & Tricks
(sorry if the pix are a bit large)
I mounted a brace across the tongue A-frame to support the spare tire, and used the tongue jack crank tube to stabilize it. 
The angle iron brace wraps the tire a bit, to keep it from 'kicking out' at the bottom.
It leaves just enough room between the tire and the battery/propane box to reach in to unlatch it.
There's a PVC collar around the crank tube to protect it, and the (red) block keeps the tire vertical relative to the tube.
Note that our Tab has the older hydraulic surge brakes, which gives less room between the battery box and the tongue jack tube than the electric brake system has.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Looks nice! You used every millimeter available. :) 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Nice work on the angle iron brace, looks good and even matched the off center jack well.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Thanks. I had to blur the photos some to meet the standard that others are setting in their 'Tab improvements'... B-)

It's nice to have it done with. There was one friend's driveway in Albuquerque I couldn't access from any angle, with that spare tire underneath. Pain. We'll have to go back and try it now!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We camped at Cain Hollow this weekend. Most of the sites that were allegedly for RVs had dips at the beginning of the driveway. People were waiting 2-3 hours for maintenance to bring a load or two of gravel to fix the driveway so they could get their RVs in. We had a relatively flat site but even a T@B could not have gotten into those sites with the tire on the back. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    deedeerodedeedeerode Member Posts: 5
    I am curious where you got the part to mount on the tongue, did you do it yourself?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yes, it's 2.5" x 3/16" angle iron. I used a small garbage can lid as a template, to mark the correct diameter curve for the tire to fit, then cut it with a sabre saw (handheld "jig saw"). Took patience, but worked well.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    Nice job. I mounted a bike rack there. So, I found a way to use my Tow Vehicle spare. Story at this thread:http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/84357#Comment_84357
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Nice solution!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,525
    Smart, as long as you don't get a flat with the TV and the Tab!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    Before we went any distance with the new trailer two years ago, I bought a trailer spare tire mounting bracket (normally for bolting to the trailer frame) from the local trailer service center and mounted it on the jack casing with two U-bolts.

I was worried about deforming the casing and possibly messing up the jack, but I found a happy medium in torquing the bolts. Since then it hasn't come loose in 10,000 miles of travel and the jack works fine. One thing I did do as you can see from the photo was to set the tire ON the frame with the tire already on the bracket and THEN tighten the bolts to the jack. This gives some support and stability to the whole arrangment without putting any stress on the tire except for its own weight. There is plenty of clearance between the spare and the storage unit.

Since the picture was taken I have also put a cover over the tire to reduce UV damage. The chain is threaded thru the wheel openings and then to the hitch lock to deter theft of the spare. It's an extra operation when hitching and unhitching, but on our long trip to Alaska I got pretty good at it! Practice, practice, practice!

Also the picture shows the mounting of the sewer storage tube I also installed. Our tow vehicle was a 2009 Ford Expedition with a 700 lb. tongue weight capacity so I wasn't concerned about adding the extra equipment there. Again, as mentioned in lots of other posts, one should check the specs on your vehicle before such modifications.

Fergie