Options

Low Tire Pressure: A Cautionary Tale

13»

Comments

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Just as a comparison-- this is from a 2004 Dutchmen T@B. Sticker is on left side of trailer. I always use the recommended 44 psi. And yes, I do check it often, and another great tip mentioned earlier-- feel the hub to see if it's overheating or not.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    From Ed Kauffman this AM:

Start out with the max psi rating (on the tire) for the tire and then reduce the air pressure based on your vehicle/trailer performance and how the trailer is tiring behind the vehicle.

We recommend not lowering the psi farther then 38 psi.

You should also monitor the tire wear, as adjusting the tire psi will affect how evenly it wears. A worn out center on a tire indicates too high psi, more wear on both outer edges of the tire indicate the psi is set to low.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    So.... set the PSI at what feels best.  If after some time, the center is warn, get new tires and lower PSI, if the outer edges are warn, get new tires and raise PSI. 
    Not very fulfilling advice....  

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Obviously there is no "one" answer. The only official/legal response is to go by the tire label or sticker. From there, you're on your own.
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    PXLated said:
    Obviously there is no "one" answer. The only official/legal response is to go by the tire label or sticker. From there, you're on your own.

Agree completely-and to loop this whole discussion back to the beginning, it's important to be aware of all weather and usage conditions, your own specific circumstances regarding trailer weight, age of tires, etc.  And keep on monitoring. I respect what Ed and the other LG folks need to say.  Tires are super important, and are involved with so many aspects of vehicle use, and yes, potential risk.  That's why this is a cautionary tale.  As responsible trailer owners, we need to Man Up (thank you, Book of Mormon) and be accountable.
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I guess I was a bit disappointed by the response.  Understand  why, but not sure what the advice does for others (I use  44 based on DM recommendations).  I definitely monitor as well.  

I guess saying that keep it over 38 and fill to performance is reasonable.  However, the wearing pattern observation is a bit late isn't it?  By the time the pattern shows up, its getting a little late for the current set of tires.
  • Options
    In another lifetime, I was an auto mechanic…. Keeping in mind vehicle mfr.'s recommendations, one of the tricks I devised was to mark a chalk line (or several) across the treads of tires. Then find a "normal-to-your-type-of-driving" section of road (or straight & level for comparison) and drive a bit; it doesn't take much.

Where the chalk line wears off will tell you if the tire's over-inflated (chalk line worn  off in the center) or if it's under inflated (wearing off on the edges). On straight & level roads, it will also be able to help indicate other possible issues -- toe-in, camber, loose tie rod ends, worn ball joints, etc.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Brilliant @irvingj!! Thank you! :clap:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliment, Ratkity, that means a lot.  (You ought to see the way I teach algebra, if you think that idea was novel. :o )
  • Options
    Oops.. PS: that's one of the reasons I'm now retired; seem some "certified" math teachers didn't like the way I "taught" algebra….
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Science? *perk* Algebra - w00h00! My lab days were spent using solving for x or y doing dilutions for liquid mixtures. Sorry, can't resist the picts.

Oh geesh, derailed thread again. Maybe we can come up with a physics equation for tire pressure!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You're becoming a bigger offender than me Ratkity.
  • Options
    @PXLated  *whines* But it was SCIENCE and MATH! *blinks innocently* That brain cell is in overdrive (do not feed it after midnight or allow it to have caffeine).

I'll try to keep that brain cell in check, I promise! Pssst @irvingj if I find more Algebra jokes I'll msg you! LOL.

To keep on topic, I shall use the word "tire" in this post! :tired_face: <--- tired face emoticon! I stayed up too late and got too much sun yesterday.

Oh! If anyone can direct me to an old style tire pressure check stick where the slide-out pressure measuring insert is spring-loaded and not loose inside, let me know. All these new ones are worthless. The new inside sliding measure sticks get stuck or are too loose. I'm using an old spring-loaded one I've had for over 30 years and I'm afraid I'm going to lose it or it'll break.

• Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67

I got my old style pressure check stick in a gas station about twenty miles outside of Mt Pleasant, MI.  So guess that means you should hunt for a small mom and pop kind of convenience store, or maybe a truck stop store, Ratkity. I agree with you. I love my old school tire gauge.

2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    Thanks @JodellR! Maybe I should hunt eBay too. I even tried a digital gauge. Oiy. No words for the fail that was! :facepalm: (no emoticon, but should be).
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Hi everyone, 
    Hopefully, I can lay this one to rest. After dealing with tires for almost forty+ years I will give you a "best rule of thumb". Start by filling your tires to the recommended pressure. After the tires have "warmed up", or at your first stop, check them again. You should show a 10% increase from cold to warm. I have used this formula on everything from race car tires, my personal car & truck tires to my own personal trailer. As irvingj stated and quite correctly so, keep an eye on the wear pattern after every trip. It could indicate any potential problems with the trailer, axle, and/or bearings if an un-even pattern is detected. By the way, irvingj, thanks for the sound advise.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf