Options

So excited I can barely contain myself!

FloridalohaFloridaloha Member Posts: 68
Hi! My name is Nancy, I am semi-retired in my early 60s, and I just bought a 2016 T@B Max S w/Outback package! I am beside myself with excitement. I live in SW Florida and am looking forward to all kinds of adventure. I won't get the camper until August but in the meantime I've been reading and digesting everything I can about T@Bs and camping from this forum and from the videos posted online. I am new to camping with RVs so I can use all the advice and help I can get. I plan to take the camper on very short trips locally just to get the hang of things and have already scoped out two great sites at state and county parks just a few miles from here.

The main reason I chose this camper was because I will be traveling alone and was so glad to find something I would feel comfortable using, both from a user-friendly standpoint and from feeling safe inside because it has everything I need. I guess I'm really more a "glamper" than a hardcore camper at this point but that may change as I become more adventuresome and familiar with the camper and camping experience.

I'm sure I'm going to have some newbie questions and I hope it will be all right to ask. I've never dealt with water tanks of any kind or ever hooked into an RV site with electric and water. I am a rank beginner so anything you can share with me would be wonderful. What I've learned so far is to take things slow, don't overload the camper, don't put too much water in the tanks because it weighs a lot, what kind of stuff to put in the toilet, and how to mount my spare tire in front of the aluminum box on the trailer than on the Outback rack. That was great, I didn't want to carry the spare back there but use that rack for things like chairs.

In the meantime I'm enjoying reading all the different forums and getting to know the people here. You guys seem so friendly and funny. I feel like I've found my people! Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Well, we're excited for you back - We all know the feeling :-)
    Keep reading and remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question.
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Welcome, Nancy!

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    Cool thanks for sharing!!!
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Welcome Nancy!  If you need an answer, it's probably already here on the forum. Lots of excellent advice here. Or, ask and we will answer.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    baclawsonbaclawson Member Posts: 17
    I am about to buy one.  The Outback I think T@B max s.  I am 61 and alone.  But I need to get out there!  I will take any and all help, tips, beware ofs.  Thanks!  My name is Bridget.  I live in the Seattle area.
  • Options
    Hey Bridget - Lots of single guys and gals out here doing it by ourselves, you'll do fine and love it.
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    You know I do wonder if any young people have t@bs....

seems like all vintage owners...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    Welcome!
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    Roadie_ORoadie_O Member Posts: 40
    I know the feeling! We are waiting on our T@b CS-S Max that will be ready mid to end July, and we can't wait! I've been buying stuff like crazy, and reading all the tricks and ideas for owning. Congrats on your purchase!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

My baby sister is younger than me, so I count them lol. 

Welcome Nancy!!! May you continue to have many happy camping trips and post often!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Welcome Nancy,
    All of us were new T@B owners at on time, so the best advise I can give you as a relatively new owner myself, is get out there and do it, have fun, and the rest will fall in line. Congrats! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    edited June 2016
    Define young...... :wink:
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
  • Options
    If 'ya have to ask, 'ya probably fit in to @ least one of those categories, I know I do. Vintage works for me! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Better than "relic" I guess
  • Options
     =) 
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Welcome Nancy! You'll find lots of great info from everyone on the forum (and many of us solo gals). I'm now just about 2 months into a 9-10 month journey. I was originally anxious about hooking/unhooking and managing on my own. It's now getting to be second nature (even backing up is getting easier) --- you can do it! 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    Welcome Nancy! I also live in SW Florida, travel solo,and this is my first RV - was always a tent camper.  You are in good company with this group. I've learned so much! Just finished my 2nd trip. This one for a week. I will be home for 2 weeks if you want to come by and measure anything on mine. I don't have the outback - but some things may be the same. I leave in July for a month adventure! 
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    Wow, thanks all of you! I have been reading and reading this forum for information and I have to admit a few things seem a little intimidating regarding monitoring the electronics, using solar, hooking up to generators, etc., but I think that those things will be more important when I go "off grid" which I'm sure will happen at some point. But right now I'll be just taking short hops to local state and county parks until I get the hang of things. I have to learn to back up the camper (great tips here about that!) and also how to level and chock it, and how to make sure I don't drain the battery. I am a little worried about security, don't want this baby stolen. So I will look into some anti-theft items. I also will cop to having decorated this thing in my mind already... and I've already been thinking of names, lol. Friends of mine know how much I love tropical tiki. So the name will either be TikiT@b or T@BU. It will be minimalist on the outside, just awnings. But I have plans for the inside ;-). Tiki cabinet pulls, and some cool slipcovers and pillows. I am also trying to determine if I can stow the Outback spare under the bed or on the trailer tongue (is that the right term?) so I can use the rack for hauling the screen room, chairs and rug. I have a bunch of questions so I'll try not to be too much of a pest, will be sure to research here first before asking. One thing I would love to know is if someone could give me the width and height measurements (in the Outback or Max S) of the three window valances. The dealer is just a couple miles up the road so I can go by there if I need to, so don't go to any trouble if you don't already know what they are. Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible. Amanda, maybe we can confab at one of the great local sites one of these days! To start off I want to go to Oscar Scherer State park and Turtle Beach in Sarasota. I'm making a wish list of places to go before the snowbirds get back and take up all the spaces!
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Welcome on board Floridaloha

We are fellow Floridians and hope that we cross ways in the future.  Noticed your wish to visit the local state parks.  Now is the time or it may even be too late to get sites for next camping season due to the snowbirds. Don't want sound negative but it is the reality.  In August no problem you can likely get a site anywhere.  We have camped at Oscar Scherer and had a great time.  Also consider Myakka River.

Enjoy!!
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited June 2016
    Hi Nancy. I moved from Sarasota just over a year ago to the San Diego area. I am guessing your dealer is Nokomis RV.  my dogs and I miss the Venice dog beach!

My first few trips with my teardrop were to OSSP and Myakka Lake.  I also ventured up to Fort Desoto (totally worth it) and then on a 13 night trip up to Tearstock in Ohio and back. I had never towed anything before. You will be fine, and yes, there is a lot to absorb.

I took your approach as well, starting out at places with shore power (mostly for the AC!!!).  Don't get too buried in the solar and generator stuff yet, as you will need a few trips with shore power to figure out how everything works inside and out.

I don't have the Outback and have my spare underneath. It likely will not go back under there after the first time it has to come down, but several others on here will probably chime in with their solutions for their spare.  

I actually travel with my camp chairs, awning, visor, etc. inside the T@B on the floor or in the wetbath.  They are the first things to come out when I arrive at camp.

I think the dimensions for the windows (along with step by step instructions for making the awnings) are over on the right in a discussion thread.  You can also search the forum for specific things of interest (see the search instructions in the permanent thread at the top). 

I like TikiT@B!  Welcome aboard.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    First camper for you?  Like me then there is lots to learn.  Many here to help.. Lots of vets.  Me? I'm still a newbie, but learning.  My T@b is new... Love that new T@b smell...

My first discussion of immense help was Jenn's

For New T@bbers: What do I need to get? (T@b supply list)

Great stuff.  I would add my own hard bought wisdom.   There is a fuse in a little case by the battery. If you aren't using your wonderful new addition, pull it out and put it somewhere safe.  All of those pretty lights inside are drawing some power ( people here call them parasites) and you will find yourself with a dead battery eventually.  I did... Sigh..  I put in a cutoff switch....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    "Now is the time or it may even be too late to get sites for next camping season due to the snowbirds." Believe me, I hear you! I know that the best sites get mobbed in high season. I was going to make some reservations for the shoulder season, Oct/Nov/Dec. and April/May. I rent out my vacation cottages during high season, which are adjacent to where I live, so I want to be on site then anyway when my guests are here.
  • Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    Hello, Nancy: I was in your place a year ago--I ordered a T@B in April and took delivery in August. It was a long wait but my time was well-spent reading these posts. Everything seemed pretty intimidating but this forum provided a wonderful T@B 101 education and the learning curve has been really short--I usually have to figure out just one thing at a time, not everything at once! 
    The right learning strategy for me was to simply camp in the thing a lot. And I still am, every chance I get!
    You are going to have a blast!
    Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • Options
    Hans111,  Great advise, and you're right, it is a blast! B)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    @floridaloha, you probably know this but as a former Sarasota resident for 13 years, the Ft DeSoto park (it's a pinellas county park) is my favorite place within a 100 mile radius. You just can't beat the north beach powder white sand and with the ocean right there it is a kayaker's dream. I loved Laguna Beach last fall, but nothing beats the other west coast!
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip about Ft. DeSoto, bgualtieri! It looks idyllic. It's about a 45 minute drive from here, so very easy to get to. I've got high hopes for a lot of camping days this fall before the snowbirds descend. Thanks also, Hans, for the encouragement! I feel really good about this decision. I have tended to be kind of a hermit at home wishing I could go visit certain parts of the state, but not wanting to stay in hotels. I want to see Bok Tower, for instance, never have been there, or to Sebring or St. Augustine. The idea of taking 2-4 day excursions is just so much fun to think about. I also want to go to some of the wonderful music festivals my friends attend and this will let me do that.
  • Options
    ApopejoyApopejoy Member Posts: 14
    Me too.  I'm 80 and this is 1st on my short bucket list. The only  thing that worries me, after reading everything in this place, is possibly changing a tire.  I'm going to practice that soon too.  First trip coming up
    Max S. Tumb@lweed, north Texas. 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Apopejoy said:
    Me too.  I'm 80 and this is 1st on my short bucket list. The only  thing that worries me, after reading everything in this place, is possibly changing a tire.  I'm going to practice that soon too.  First trip coming up
    You might want to consider AAA if you are worried about that and let them do it for you.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Agree with Mike - Personally I don't plan on changing a tire unless i "absolutely" have to. Got AAA on speed dial ;-)