Options

Subaru Outback 3.6R for Towing the T@B MAX S?

AleeAlee Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I've got my heart set on a T@B Max S or T@B Max S Outback style. I love Subaru vehicles. I've had two Foresters but know I need a more powerful vehicle for towing. I'm wondering if a Outback 3.6R would fit the bill.  Live in KS but I'm from CO and plan to use it mostly in CO. I also have dreams of taking it to Oregon and Northern California. I love the Subaru but don't want to be under powered. Can any of you experienced T@B peeps give me you advice on a great tow vehicle. I'm not wanting to pay move than 40K for a tow vehicle.

Thanks Alee

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I've seen several Outbacks towing a T@B and most were 4 cylinders.  The H-6 will certainly tow the T@B fine, as it's well within it's towing capacity.  We have an older 4 cylinder, and I wouldn't use it to tow, it's just too slow uphill for me. 

Their coming out with a new trim level in July that ditches the crappy roof rack they've been using for several years.  I'm tempted, but it will run you 40K!  I've seen H-6's with 2 inch hitches and 7 pin connectors,  you'll have to see if they upgrade the alternator or not.  Subaru alternators are weak,  I'm on my 3rd with our car.

We use an Xterra to pull the T@B and it has a transmission cooler and beefy alternator. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    I bought a 2015 3.6 Outback (when my Odyssey transmission died) and added a Torklift hitch and an Insight brake controller. Definitely not plug-and-play, but I'm happy with the result.
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    We bought the CS-S and Subaru Outback at the same time. They work great together. And we don't even have the 3.6!
  • Options
    SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    I have a 2015 3.6R and a 2016 T@b S Max. The 3.6 is great for towing the tab in the mountains of NC. I can run up grades at any speed I'd like. When towing I do see my average FE go from ~26 to ~17, but I did expect that. The Outbacks have a trans cooler on the CVT, though they no longer have a trans temp gauge; however, you can purchase a diagnostic scanner to plug into the OBD port and get a readout of the trans temp. I have not purchased one yet, but my dealer told me they are not too expensive ($40-$100). Word of caution, not all scanners provide this output.

The only concern I had towing with the Outback was the 200 Lbs. tongue weight limit, but I have found I do not come close to exceeding this with the trailer fully loaded but with empty tanks. I have never weighed the tongue with full tanks as I have never towed that way.

FYI, my previous car was a 2011 Outback 2.5 and I could not imagine towing the tab in the mountains with the 2.5.
    Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    A 200# tongue weight limit is cutting it pretty close, if you follow the 10-15% rule.

The tongue weight should be approx 10-15% of the gross (loaded) weight of the trailer. If you stray from that ratio, you take a chance with your ability to handle the trailer in an emergency situation.

The Maxx S starts out weighing @ 1650# dry, ie: without battery, propane, etc., so it's pretty close to 2000#, if not more, once it's packed.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I have a 3.6l Outback and have had no problems. Today I traveled from Flagstaff Az to Barstow Ca with the outside Temps around 110 degrees and the air conditioning blasting. I averaged 65 mph through the mountains. It even has some power left over to pass! I am on my way to Monterey CA and will work my way down the coast.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    ChanW - with the majority of the storage space behind the axle I found it difficult to get 10% on the tongue, but it tows and brakes very well. Have you been able to get the correct distribution? If so, how?
    Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
  • Options
    AleeAlee Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the input. I'm still looking at vehicles. I'm kind of a cautious soul so I'm not sure the Outback 3.6R is right. If I wanted a T@G if would get the Outback in a heart beat.  I'm going to look at Toyotas today. Maybe a Highlander or a 4 Runner. I've been reading about pulling trailers/tongue weight distribution. Please keep giving me advise. 

Aleen :)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I've heard many good things about the Highlanders and 4 Runners. My parents don't tow with theirs, but the vehicles travel well - the 4 Runner is usually overloaded with salt-water fishing gear, btw :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We drove all 3 of those (Outback, Highlander, and 4Runner.) The Outback seemed a little small for 6'5" DH, and the 4Runner was a little high off the ground for me. The Highlander was just right. It is very comfortable. Be sure to check the towing capacity as the base model Highlander is only 1500 pounds. OTOH the 4Runner may be tow ready. We had to add a hitch and wiring to the Highlander which cost a few hundred bucks.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    edited June 2016
    On my 9 day trip through California, I was averaging 17 mpg when traveling between 60 and 65 mph with my Outback. If the RPMS went above 3000, all bets were off for decent milage.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    Very happy with my 4 Runner.

Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Another vehicle worth considering is a Honda Pilot or Ridgeline.  The 2WD has towing capacity of 3500#.  The AWD is 5500# I believe.    The storage is great in both.   gas milage is great when not towing. I am sure it drops to the mid-high teens towing.  They both start at about $30K.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    I tow my t@b with a 2016 Outback. It's not the 3.6R, but runs just great.  I took it over the Grape Vine to SoCal just a few months back.  This means a lot because many cars can't even make it over this pass even without towing something behind.  We've done other trips as well.  Great car.  Great camper!
  • Options
    TTabTTab Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    We recently bought our Tab and put 2K miles on it over the past two months, so here's my thoughts and data:

The Subie OB 3.6 got more juice then you need. Like some other said in this forum, you don't feel like you are towing when on highway, just need to keep remind yourself you are towing a Tab behind or you will easily go over 65. In tough situation, I am driving highway up hill with RPM ~3500, ~100 F outside Temp., 50 mph and Eng. Temp. ~230 F. I can still relax with my AC on and chatting with my wife while driving.....ok, I lie, I asked her to be quiet so I can monitor the TV capability. After all, it is hard to get a TV under $40K with loaded feature (eyesight, leather seat, trim, HID headlight, GPS, backup camera.... and AWD). Below are some data for your reference.

- On up hill (from 1000 ft to 4000 ft elevation), my RPM are around 3500. On flat road, I have ~1800.
    - Eng. Temp. read between 190-240 F. With AC on and outside temp. 80-104 F when we are around Los Angeles & Vegas, NV.
    - Speed are between 55-80 mph on highway. 45-55 mph up hill (After tested, 70 is the max I would go with sway bay).
    - Tongue load ~225 lb and Tab load ~2300 lb. (I install the Tab OB platform in front with two cases and two container - 1 case for electric cord, 1 case for black tank supplies, 1 5 gal for extra gas and 1 5 gal for extra water.)
    - MPG (22.8 without the T@B and 13.3 when towing), remember I have Yakima Skybox on top all the time.

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R
    2016 LG T@B CS-S Max
    Yakima Skybox 16
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    We're about to buy a Honda Ridgeline; they're FINALLY at Honda dealerships.
    AWD is available on all models & towing capacity tops out at 5000lbs.

& isn't she pretty?!

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.