Options

Bleach water ratio

Sorry to post this, as there are many topics for this question but none had the answer I was looking for.
I am about to leave on a long trip with the T@B this weekend and I need to clean the fresh water tank and plumbing lines.
My T@B has the 5 gallon removable fresh water tank.
Based on a little bit of research I can use 1 teaspoon of bleach, then fill the tank up.
Slosh it around and let it sit for a while, then connect the plumbing back up and run the sink.
The water can run down the driveway, then when it's done run some fresh water through the tank again a couple of times.
Does this sound right?
Is the bleach amount correct?
Thanks! 
2005 T@B U model

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm not sure where I got the figures, but I use 1 ounce bleach per 5 gallons.

I let it sit in the tank and plumbing for an hour or three, then rinse it thoroughly.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    EWizard, You are correct, one teaspoon to five gallons, let sit for  30 minutes and you are good. One ounce of bleach is recommended for two hundred gallons of water. Definitely nothing living in ChanW's water system!  :s
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hmmm. B-) wonder where I got that info!

Thanks JustJohn.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    From the T@B owner's manual:

"Multiply the potable water tank gallon capacity by .13 for a four hour treatment, or by .26 for a one hour treatment. This will give the liquid ounces of common household bleach required for disinfecting the water system."

So, interpreted exactly as written: you would use 1.3oz of bleach for one hour in a 5 gallon tank. (5 x 0.26 = 1.3).

I'm just reporting what's printed by LG, not offering an opinion. Perhaps our resident microbiologist will chime in here.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    One teaspoon per 5 gallons is close to what you'd use to make water drinkable. Not nearly enough to sanitize a container. http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-b_make_water_safe_flyer_508.pdf
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I had to look it up again. 

To sanitize, the common minimum recommended concentration that I've found was 6/10 oz. bleach to 5 gallons of water.  Some went higher than that, but none were lower.
    Look here: sanidumps.com
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    My information is from the CDC.gov site and FEMA sites for purification of water for human consumption. I have used this ratio for years, no problem. The ratios quoted in the owners manual makes me wounder about possible corrosion to the Alde tank if you have that system and disinfect the whole system. Thanks for pointing that out Scott.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    "Purification of water for human consumption" sounds like an amount you would add to water you actually intended to drink at some point. I'm thinking a higher concentration would be needed for thorough surface disinfection.

Good point about the Alde. I vaguely recall this coming up before and it was suggested that disinfection take place in "bypass" mode (thus keeping the Alde out of the loop). Since it's generally recommended not to drink water from a hot water tank, this shouldn't pose a problem. I also suspect the heat of the tank--particularly when cranked to the 150F--has some sanitizing properties.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Cleaning the lines and sanitizing are two different things. If you think you have slimy things in your lines (do you see green or red algae in your 5 gal tank?), then by all means, do a sanitizing process and rinse the heck out of it. Like 10x rinses to get the bleach out. If you just want clean? Go for adding the teaspoon to 5 gal tank and run it through. Rinse well. 

Clean = gets rid of most microbes and great for getting rid of odors (vinegar works too), but does not kill microbes that make spores (rare to have in tank unless you get water from contaminated sources - e.g. Cryptosporidium - normally harmless unless you are immunocompromised/having chemo/autoimmune problems/transplants/etc).

Sanitize = kills everything.

Bypass the Alde when flushing the lines with bleach or other chemicals due to the potential oxidation of the elements and tank. If you are worried about critters in your Alde tank, fill with water and turbo charge it (boost) it to 154F. Run hot water until empty. Repeat as OCD dictates or significant other allows. :wink:

/s/ mad scientist - microbiologist
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    Thanks ya'll!
    I think the teaspoon will work fine for my purposes.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    I ended up going with 2 teaspoons.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Awesome.  The pump ran for about 2 minutes and stopped completely.
    No worky any more.
     :| 
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Oh Noes, EWizard!! Check the fuse? Is the pump itself hot? My sister's went and we knew when it started blowing fuses the motor got VERY hot to the touch, even with the switch in the OFF position. I had them pull the fuse until it was replaced, just in case.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    That bites. I'm pretty sure when @Ratkity said bleach "kills everything" it wasn't meant to include water pumps...

My own OCD compels me to a peculiar fascination with plumbing, electrical, and other mechanical systems. Please report back on the resolution!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I plan on doing some more digging today.  I checked a couple of the fuses by pulling them and looking at them, then realized that when I pulled them a red light came on.
    I quit pulling fuses at that point because there were no more red lights on.
    The previous owner had jury rigged a couple of electrical things related to the pump, such as a toggle switch that cuts off the pump when you are on city water.
    I checked for electricity with my DMM on the pump leads and i'm not getting any power.  I'll check the rest of the fuses.  Could be the red light is burned out of one of the ones I didn't check.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    My fuses have red lights too, but not all of them work.

The switch is standard equipment. You want the power off to the pump when you're not nearby, just in case something crazy happens, like a leaky or broken pipe.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I just checked on a couple of things this morning and the fuse for the pump was blown.
    Last night I secured some of the connections that were basically just wired twisted together with some electrical tape.
    I used some barrel connectors to secure things, then checked the fuses again and voila!  Red on the 5 amp fuse for the pump!
    I think the crappy wiring job shorted somewhere causing the fuse to blow, or at least that's what I'm hoping....     =)
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Sounds like 'ya got it, good job! I always hated following someone's wiring mess!  Good luck to you. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Great job! Yup @ScottG, didn't mean to kill the pump when I said it'd kill EVERYTHING! LOL. @EWizard, so glad you found this before being out on the road.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I finally looked at the front of the pump, and it says it draws 7 amperes max, so I put a 7.5 amp fuse in and now it seems to be holding.
    Thanks for reading my rambling... B)
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Is there a label on the pump, and does it mention #Amps, #Watts, or possibly a model #?
  • Options
    Yes, it mentions amperes.  The guy I bought it from replaced it at some point but I don't know if it's the same one you'd see on a stock 2005 or not.
    It says it draws 7 Amps maximum.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    That would blow a 5 amp fuse for sure if it were working hard. If there is a model number on the pump it might be possible to find out what size fuse is appropriate. I would hesitate to recommend a 10A fuse without knowing anything else.
  • Options
    4 tank fulls have been flowed through it so far, and I'm good!
    Want to make sure I get all the bleach out!
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Great! It sounds like the previous owner was electrically challenged.
  • Options
    Smart guy, but yeah I think so.  Took shortcuts anyways. :|
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Smart move looking for the max amps on the pump! Mental note made for any future troubleshooting. Thanks!