Options

Brakes Locking Up- Damage to Brake Cord to Blame?

Drat! We were planning to take out new T@B on it its maiden test overnighter, but when we hook up the trailer to the 7 pt harness on the TV, the right side brake is locking and the brake controller on the TV behaves as if there is no trailer connected. When we unplug the harness, it rolls just fine. When we brought it home from the dealer and parked it a couple weeks ago, everything was working just fine. We checked the brake controller manual and the T@B site. We noticed the brake cord end has some damage, and are not sure what happened, or when. Any thoughts on what is going on, and whether this might be due to the damage shown in the photos? We are newbies so any help appreciated! (Just read all the discussions on towing, chains, emergency cord, etc here, will go back to that thread soon.)

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Looks like you dragged the 7 pin harness maybe?  That can certainly have an effect on how the 7 pin connects and communicates to the brakes.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    It looks like your cord released and was dragged and probably bounced along the highway, maybe damaging or snapping a wire in the cord?
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2016
    Don't think that's the cause - Mine makes your's look like new - Long story.
    Since you're getting power to the one brake, means that is seating. The power line goes to the passenger side brake and then crosses over to the drivers side. Betting it's somewhere else in the line on the trailer end.
    Have you traced the brake wiring under the T@B? At one point mine was hanging down 5" where it crossed over from one to the other. Could have easily gotten snagged on something.
    If your TV is heavy enough and your not going thru hill/mountain country you could disconnect the brake wire by the controller and make your trip. My brakes shorted out (another story) had a hard time finding parts so cruzed without for a couple months. Just took it easy and avoided situations where I might have to stop quick.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The trace on the T@B would be from the junction box (little black box centered under the bottom front) from there it goes to the passenger side frame and splts to the emergency brake controller and back along the frame to the passenger side brake and then across (by the axel) to the drivers side.
  • Options
    KYkampersKYkampers Member Posts: 19
    Uh-oh...rookie mistake! While one of us was in air conditioned comfort reading the informative thread about how to correctly connect the emergency cable, the other was doing the hard, sweaty work of hooking the T@B to the TV and finding it didn't work. Only after posting this did we realize the emergency cable was still in the trunk of the TV- EUREKA! Problem solved! But we learned so much from you all. Thank you so much for taking good care of us and all who share the road with us...
  • Options
    Glad it was that simple :-)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Happy for a resolution! Just FYI, it does look like your cord released (hence driving home without issue). There's a "lock" mechanism on the TV plug cover that holds that molded rectangle thingie on the pigtail. Make sure the molded part is behind the catch on the 7 pin connector cover on the TV. It prevents it from escaping from the TV.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    KY, Glad you were able to solve your problem. I too drug my power cord for about 3 miles on I 95 and just had It replaced, a $150.00 repair. I now run a cable tie through the two holes on the plug and around the cap on the receptical as a bit of extra insurance. 
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    We've replaced our twice.  Once it was adjusted too loose and the cord portion dragged on the pavement. Interesting it shaved a perfect flat spot halfway through the cord breaking a random portion of the wires inside.  Stopped at a Pilot truck stop (nice selection of emergency repair items and tools) and purchased crimp type wire connectors with tool in a kit and electrical tape to splice it back together temporarily.  The remainder of that connector and tool kit are part of our T@B tool kit. Replaced the cord assembly ourselves later, ordered the cord on Amazon.  Second time it was adjusted too tight and we made a sharp u-turn and the cord popped from the TV connector. Learned to stop when you hear a strange noise.  Paid to have the work done the second time as we were on the road.  Think we have the length adjusted just right now.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    To loose, dragging - Ball Bungies are great for chinching the cable (and the chains) up to the tongue so they don't drag - Flexible enough to allow plenty of give but holds them high. Just don't get your emergency brake cable mixed in.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We use a 3/4 velcro strap around the plug connection after we make sure the lip on the plug catches

John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God