Options

Advice Needed - Propane Leak while On The Road

lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
We are in the middle of a two week trip and the regulator for the propane has developed a leak.  I inspected the regulator today and found gas pouring out of the bottom of the regulator when I turned on the tank.  When I jack up the trailer later this morning I will take a look from underneath.   Is there likely to be anything I can adjust?  Is this a standard regulator for an RV?  Is it a part I might pick up at a propane supply store? I am out in a very touristy area with lots of campgrounds but not much in the way of parts for RV's so my options are limited.

Thanks.
2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

Comments

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited August 2016
    A quick internet search shows that RV regulators come in many shapes and sizes.  Some Walmart's sell them.  Remove the one you have, take it into the store, and match up the fitting sizes.  With some luck they may be a standard size.

This is a roadside repair.  It does not have to look pretty, just functional.

Or order one from an internet vender and have them next day ship it to somewhere you will be the next day.

I.E. - http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Propane-sf-Regulators.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjw_qW9BRCcv-Xc5Jn-26gBEiQAM-iJhU3vthzBaNa9UjlMfW_f_UAgUj4XNynfnst1sy3sO9caAquY8P8HAQ

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    source3 said:
    A quick internet search shows that RV regulators come in many shapes and sizes.  Some Walmart's sell them.  Remove the one you have, take it into the store, and match up the fitting sizes.  With some luck they may be a standard size.

This is a roadside repair.  It does not have to look pretty, just functional.

Or order one from an internet vender and have them next day ship it to somewhere you will be the next day.

I.E. - http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Propane-sf-Regulators.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjw_qW9BRCcv-Xc5Jn-26gBEiQAM-iJhU3vthzBaNa9UjlMfW_f_UAgUj4XNynfnst1sy3sO9caAquY8P8HAQ

I left my spare camera battery and charger home on our recent trip and had an online photo store overnight a charger ro the next campground we'd be staying at. I called ahead and made sure the campground would accept it for me and they didn't even sound surprised. I got the impression this happens all the time. If would probably work better at a private campground with a staffed office than a state park though. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You can also have it delivered (UPS/FedEx) to the post office, general delivery. Do this all the time being a full- timer.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    We are in the middle of a two week trip and the regulator for the propane has developed a leak.  I inspected the regulator today and found gas pouring out of the bottom of the regulator when I turned on the tank.  When I jack up the trailer later this morning I will take a look from underneath.   Is there likely to be anything I can adjust?  Is this a standard regulator for an RV?  Is it a part I might pick up at a propane supply store? I am out in a very touristy area with lots of campgrounds but not much in the way of parts for RV's so my options are limited.

Thanks.
    I thought this had happened to me - I could feel the air coming from the back of the regulator. I called an RV dealer (in Montrose, CO) who agreed to see me that day. He first hand tightened everything and that took care of it. He followed up with pouring the soapy bubbles over everything just to make sure I was OK and I was. This was a great dealer, though not a T@b dealer, he was very familiar with T@bs and really wanted to make sure I was safe and on my way. If you need a dealer in the area, it was Humprey's RV.

As an FYI, the propane fridge issue did not improve after this. I suspect it jiggled loose driving from one spot to the next.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Just got back to the world of the Internet. We were very far from any large towns so no Walmarts and very heavy French speaking.  Our campground gave us the name of two RV repair services, one 20 minutes in the wrong direction and the other about 3 hours away and near our destination.  Opted to try and get the issue resolved asap and went to the nearest repair service. No luck but they called the other service and they confirmed they had a part that would work. Had to drive about 20 minutes past our destination but they replaced the regulator while I waited and charged $15 labor.  Needless to say I was thrilled with this out come.  We would not have been able to continue the trip without this repair as we were camping without services for several  days after this repair was made.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Good to hear it was a quick and inexpensive fix. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf