Options

Will a 2" memory foam topper fit behind couch?

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited August 2016 in Modifications & Upgrades
I'm looking into getting a 2"-thick memory-foam topper, or actually a latex "organic" foam topper, for our Tab, both for comfort and for ease of 'stowage and deployment'.

Will a 2" foam topper compress enough to fit behind the couch-back when the back is up? Will there also be room for our lightweight down comforter?
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    We roll ours up and drop it in behind the the couch back.  We roll up our sheet and very light weight comforter with it.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    rkhammondrkhammond Member Posts: 54
    Ours did, and I think it may even be a 3". Our pillows and down blanket (not a comforter) also fit behind it. We just rolled the sheets up with the topper. We did use a couple of straps, about 2"-3" inches wide to hold it in the roled up posistion. They were also very useful as 'handles' in pulling the works back out from behind the seat back (Alde radiant style heat).  It does become a bit of a chore to pull it up out from behind the seat back, as the clearence space is a bit limited.  I can understand why many end up just rolling it up and using the topper as a seat back, rather than stuffing and retrieving each day! Also, we found that it completely blocks the heat along that back area when in the 'stored' position with the seat back up. We have since switched over to a couple of self-inflating Thermarest pads (of the type Jenn Grover used). They are much lighter.  Not sure if this is of great help, since our memory foam was supposed to be a 3"; one less inch of thickness may or may not make a great difference? 
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thanks to both of you, that's just what I needed to know.

I forgot about the idea of using it as a seat back. That might be an alternative, if squeezing it through that gap becomes a pain.

Thanks again.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChanW, I was unable to put a 3" memory foam behind the seat back. Even after using straps to roll it up, I just couldn't get the umph needed. I kept the bed (single size) made up for about 3 months and then opted for the Thermorest self inflating 3" mattress. It takes less than 5 minutes to deflate the Thermorest, fold up the sheets and blanket and stuff it behind the bed. So much easier.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I like the strap idea, I can see where that would make it easier to move the topper around.  We also store our pillows behind the seat back with the topper.  I can confirm that it does block the heat and will require putting some vents in the top of the rear shelf.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    When the memory foam is cold, it is near impossible to do anything with it. I switched to a 3" thermarest like V. Never been happier!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ethelouiseethelouise Member Posts: 32
    We have a 2" foam mattress in a duvet cover that we roll up and put behind the seats.  Fits along with bedding and 4 pillows with no problem, although the roll is a bit awkward, so I will look for straps as suggested by others.
    Margaret, Lynn and D@isy M@y
    2017 S Max
    2016 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    4 inch with straps and it works fine on my DM '06 (with pillows).  Bedding goes in left rear bench on mine (larger quilt).
  • Options
    Has anyone here tried the "natural (Dunlop) latex foam" topper?

Is it difficult in the cold, as memory foam is? (I guess we'll find out this winter, I've just ordered one! - Amazon is too easy)

I'm hoping it's less hazardous w/ offgassing.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    2" memory foam with a cover and straps.Rolls up really nice, and fits behind seat just fine.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    We tried everything to make the original cushions more comfortable for sleeping and sitting. Nothing worked very well and they all created bulky storage problems. While we were at Tearstock last month we replaced all of our cushions with the more dense foam they are now using. The difference is like night and day. Sorry to say it was not cheap $600 that also included new fabric but we would do it again in a minute. For bedding we use a Travasack ( know longer made). Since the cushions are only 4" thick a one size smaller fitted bottom sheet works pretty well. We sewed the top sheet across the foot section. I am sorry if I hijacked this thread from the OP. I hate it when that happens.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    What is a good source for memory foam mattress toppers? BBY has some nice ones by they are fantastically expensive, especially considering I will need to cut it to fit. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    We have a 3" memory foam mattress topper also. We roll it up using 3" wide straps which clip with plastic snap together buckles (I made). The key is wide straps as the narrower they are they tend to cut into the foam. My boys who are 10 & 11easily roll, unroll, buckle, unbuckle and lift over the folded sofa back. There are about six travel pillows and two king sized flat sheets stored behind the sofa back also with room to spare. King sized quilt will fit back there too. To make storage easier we cut two pieces of 1/4" underlayment and just laid them on the bench framework behind the sofa. The mattress doesn't fall into the far underneath storage area, making it much easier to put back and remove. It will survive an alde failure kept high and dry. I bought a king sized topper and trimmed to fit. We set up the bed and return to dinette status daily because there are 4 of us. It only takes a few minutes. We left home July 26th and are due for a September return so we are adapting well. So much to see in the American west and a good night's sleep helps us get the most out of our day. Hope this book length post helps.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    I placed closet wire shelving at the bottom making it a lot easier to lift my 3" mattress topper. Keeps the Alde plumbing protected and it even seems to "increase" storage space under the rear bench in the passenger side. 
  • Options
    leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    We use a 2" foam topper that we cut in half and use 2 twin size duvets to cover them.  It's easier with the 2 pieces.  We are going to add straps like others have suggested.  I'm interested in the thermarest idea because I tend to get warm.  Too bad I gave mine away to my kids for tent camping!
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Photomom said:
    What is a good source for memory foam mattress toppers? BBY has some nice ones by they are fantastically expensive, especially considering I will need to cut it to fit. 
    I bought mine at Walmart.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I went with the Amazon...

The 'natural latex foam' is even more expensive, yikes.

We have 'miles' accumulated on our Amazon VISA card, so I could pretend I got it for free...

The selection at Amazon seems to be pretty broad, but I usually try to buy some sort of 'name brand' when I shop there, for whatever that's worth.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The 3" memory foam I bought from Walmart had too much memory and not enough foam ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    We have a max S.  I bought a 2" foam California King-sized topper from Kohls,  Sealy or Serta brand, as I remember.  About $60 with Kohls coupons.  I only had to trim one side.  It was surprisingly easy to cut with my Pampered Chef kitchen shears. 
    2017 S Max
    2016 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    edited August 2016
    I just refoamed the seat bottom (not the sides) cushions in my 2014. The old ones lost their "fluff". I used 3" regular cushion foam topped with 1" memory foam. Felt nice for sitting during the day. Still not quite comfy enough at night so we bought a 2" topper. We'll store it behind the rear seat when not in use.
    Refoaming was not too difficult but it was not that much fun removing the staples in the rear 2 that go across the camper. The side ones zip out.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    Can someone post a picture of the storage process. We have a 2" topper and I can't even begin to think of how I'd get it behind the rear seat. We end up leaving the rear seat down all the time and pushing the topper & other bedding against the back wall. I'd love to hide it all away.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    No pictures but.....here is how we do it in our T@B Max S, with our sheet and comforter in place on the mattress we start at the foot end of the mattress and start rolling towards head of the mattress.  When we get to the head we pull up the seat back and pull it as far forward as it will go and then lift and drop the rolled up mattress behind it.  My wife does this alone sometimes but it is much easier with two of us.  I think if you uses straps to hold the mattress role together it would be very simple for one person to do.  

• Options
    Our topper is in a duvet which serves as the bottom sheet.  To store, we remove the top sheet and blanket (and I anticipate the comforter when it gets cold) and fold them separately. Then we roll and drop the topper, the same as lapowers57.  

Based on comments above, I found some luggage straps and have used them on the roll which makes the roll less awkward and easier to drop behind seat back.  If the process still isn't clear, I will try to take some photos and post.
    2017 S Max
    2016 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    Doesn't it fall to the bottom and get dirty? Will have to try this.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    Mine does not get dirty when I drop in behind the seat back because my trailer is still fairly new.  What it does do is make it harder to utilize the space for storage as it makes it harder to get things in and out.  I plan to look at a mod to install a grate or screen over the opening so that the topper can not fall to the bottom.

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    At least a couple of us have created dividers to separate the space behind the sofa back from the space under the sofa seat. 

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3027/a-question-about-storage-under-the-rear-sofa-my-solution

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    DaisyMDaisyM Member Posts: 11
    We had a 2 inch foam topper that we couldn't roll up tightly enough to fit behind the seat, at least not without a lot of effort.  We replaced it with the 1inch "Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper" from Amazon.  It's soft, the cushions beneath it are firm, we're happy.  We ordered the queen size, which is only a few inches narrower than the bed, and we trimmed off about 4" from the bottom to eliminate overhang.  I stitched together two sheets to make a "pillowcase" for it, which serves as our bottom sheet.  Then we use a duvet for the top sheet/comforter.  It rolls up into a neat little log to toss behind the seat during the day, then comes together easily at bedtime.   
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I just got a 3" memory foam topper.  It was vacuum sealed for shipping, so I was still waiting for it to poof up and hope that eliminates the bump from small section that never squished down.  There is no way it will fit behind the couch, but I can use it as a couch back when we put the table in.  I'm still not sure how it will impact my ability to get into storage behind and under the couch area though...
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.