Options

Walker T@B tents

I am getting ready to buy a 2015 T@B Outback and want to get a fitted tent. I have seen the Walker tent which is beautiful but seem hard to find. Has anyone found a regular tent that works well with the T@B's. 

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2016
    Don't know anything about the Walker Tent, sorry.

If you can find a ThermaRest tent (would have to be used because they're discontinued), they are amazing. It converts to an open-front awning, it has a nice 'overhang' design which keeps out the rain if you want the front to stay open, and it has an open-able screened wall on one side and half the top, for stargazing. My DW and I have been completely thrilled with it when we've used it. (Last week the biting flies were terrible at Assateague - the tent saved the day for us, and for our pooch)

Just an FYI...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Not sure if the Walker tent fits an Outback model.  Anybody know?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The Isabella awning was the design used (licensed?) for the DM T@Bs.  Also a very well constructed product.  Design and detail far superior to the PaHa Que offerings IMO.  Much more expensive also.  Some people have had success purchasing these from the UK.  Here is a link to a dealer that has both the Walker and the Isabella brands:

http://www.adventurelv.com/accessories-shop/

I have been interested in these for a while.  They are the only awnings made like the original design we have that was sold as a DM T@B accessory.

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    rfuss, any idea how they were attached to the T@B? I just sold our DM version, and it had some sort of awning that came with it, from the previous owner.

There was a bag with a bundle of fabric in it, and a bunch of bungee-corded poles…. but we never did open it up to see how it worked. I'm now wondering if that's what it was, but I don't see anything on the edge of our T@B's roof for attachment.
  • Options
    FloridalohaFloridaloha Member Posts: 68
    These enclosures look fantastic. I like how they convert from a full screened room to just an awning. They are expensive but in the long run I think they would be more economical because just one would do the job of several.

• Options
    There is a Keder rail along the edge of the T@B roof line.  It is an aluminum extrusion that has a hollow cross section that a "bolt rope" or cord is threaded into from one end.  I am not sure that they were standard on all DM T@Bs although they were the standard way awnings were attached to most RVs for many years.

Image result for keder rail

The bundle you describe sounds like it may have been a Thremarest awning or tent because of the shock corded poles.  A common accessory ~2010 but NLA.  The T@B factory awning (like the Isabella) has larger diameter aluminum poles without shock cords.

This is our original T@B awning with the "Flower Power" print.

• Options
    PhotoJoePhotoJoe Member Posts: 34
    I purchased the Walker tent from the Teardrop shop the end of May and used it at Tearstock.  It is a high quality tent which can also be use as an open front or open front and one open side awning.   The Walker does not have screens but does have windows with supplied curtains.  The floor is not attached but is a rug type setup which has extra space.  The tent has a aluminum frame in the front and aluminum struts that support the roof.  The tent attaches to the trailer using the keder rail.  The tent fabric is heavy duty and overall it's very well constructed.  The set up instructions could be a little better as we reversed front and back on the aluminum frame putting it up and only figured it out after a couple hours of frustration.  Now we know and things will go much more smoothly the next time.  It's expensive but worthwhile in my opinion.  I know the person whose tent was photographed at Tearstock 2015 and I do not believe he has an Outback but there are flaps on the bottom of the tent pieces that would most likely take care of the inch difference but I'd check with the Teardrop Shop to make sure.

Joe

• Options
    Thanks, rfuss. Our T@B doesn't have that Kedar rail, just the "original" aluminum trim strip with the black plastic insert. New owner will sort out the mystery, I guess.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You take the black insert out and discard (or save somewhere, never to be seen again). Voila! Keder rail!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yep, like Ratkity says. You are describing your kedar rail!
    irvingj said:
    Thanks, rfuss. Our T@B doesn't have that Kedar rail, just the "original" aluminum trim strip with the black plastic insert. New owner will sort out the mystery, I guess.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    REALLY???!? It's that simple?  Here's what my old DM  T@B T2's "rail" looks like:

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No, that is not a Keder rail, @irvingj. The Keder rail would be on the top of the side panel, under the silver/gray part. The Dutchman T@B's manufactured before 2010 didn't have a Keder rail. 

The black rubber shown in this photo merely hides the screws used to attach the roof and back covering to the body. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Awwwww... I thought fer shure the 2010s had em! Sorry @irvingj.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Yeah, well... Goes to show ya... don't listen to me!  ;) 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Was it a CS model?  I have an 06 U model and it has keder rails on both sides, so I'm assuming that the CS model (kitchen in back) were the units without Keder rails on older DM's.  In other words, depends on DM model if they have Keder Rails.
  • Options
    OK, thanks for checking! Had me excited for a minute… New owner will be by Friday to take our beloved white teardrop to its new home in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Like others, however, I believe I'll still frequent the T@B forum; you folks are WAY too entertaining!!

Walt (irvingj)
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    Walt (irvingj),
    The T2 model DM T@B's were the only ones that did not come with a keder rail.

They were a fiberglass skinned model made between the original aluminium skinned T@B's and the later alufiber skinned ones.

Geo
    T@BMahal
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Interesting information, @Geo - a nuance I never heard of! Thank you! I continually learn things here. Just when I *think* I got it all .... someone comes up with a fantastic new mod or shows/shares another cool, interesting tidbit.
  • Options
    There are several people that would be interested in the tent/awning you described if you or the new owner are not going to use it.  A keder rail would need to be added to the T2 to make it usable.  These are NLA and a bit different than the current offerings.  Post it here and I bet I sells in a day.

• Options
    Well, too late… it's gone… :(   but to a good home, I know.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    PhotoJoe said:
    I purchased the Walker tent from the Teardrop shop the end of May and used it at Tearstock.
    I see the Walker awning offered at Teardropshop which is not an enclosable tent.
    Does Walker make both an awning and a full blown tent?

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    If you can find a ThermaRest tent (would have to be used because they're discontinued), they are amazing. 
    Did Thermarest make this tent just for the T@B?

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yes, its design is specifically for the Tab. 

And it's not a good fit on the CS (different wheel-well position, I think), or the Outback (taller Tab, floor of tent doesn't reach the ground as it should).
    ChanW said:
    If you can find a ThermaRest tent (would have to be used because they're discontinued), they are amazing. 
    Did Thermarest make this tent just for the T@B?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabber John,

The Walker Awning can be used as an enclosed tent or as an awning.  There are pictures of the 3 different configurations on the Teardrop Shop website.  The front and one side zip on or off as needed.

Joe
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Okay, I see the extra pictures now.
    When all parts are connected is it truly a fully enclosed and sealed tent?
    Can the Walker also be used as a screen room or are those panels vinyl windows?

• Options
    Tabber John,
    I didn't see the extra pictures either when I was first looking for tents / awnings.  The Walker is a well sealed tent in that configuration.  The Walker does not have a floor attached but one is provided (Jolex awning carpet) with the package from the Teardrop Shop.  The window panels are vinyl and they do not have screens except for a very small area near the front door.  
    Joe
  • Options
    As long as I'm dreaming about our next T@B addition...
    This option would be one expensive awning, but I'd love to see it fitted for a T@B:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFj2Ta6dQeg
    Notice how it can be freestanding with zip-in back wall. 24 lbs!!
    Full specs at: http://gybe-design.com/lifestyle
    All they need do is create a connector (called Fusion Panel) to fit a T@B keder rail. :o
    On the other hand at this price I'd want a fully enclosed tent with floor and screened windows.
  • Options
    That is sweet.  Easy set up and tear down!
  • Options
    fiddlefootfiddlefoot Member Posts: 62

Hi all,
    This is a 2016 clamshell, with the awning from the mourned 2008 DM built clamshell, so glad I did not let it get away!
    Denise

Denise, Rea and Ruby
    2016 CS S, 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Somerset, VA