Glossary of RV terms, parts, acronyms, and misspellings

TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
edited November 2016 in Camping & Travel

A glossary request was posted on the Hook for Valence thread so I decided to start a separate thread for it.
Have fun posting your favorite story or example of how to use or not use RV terms correctly. OT posts encouraged. ;)
These three sites appear to cover the majority, but feel free to add your own especially anything missed or more obscure.

http://www.goodsamcamping.com/rvresources/RvGlossary.aspx

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/rv-terms.html

http://travellogs.us/Technical Info/RVing Termanology.htm

It took me awhile to figure out why someone wanted a sliding tray added to their custom T@B galley for an ARB.
Then I discovered ARB was a brand of 4x4 accessories including RV fridge/freezers especially designed for off-grid use.

Here's my first misspelled entry --
"Hook for Valence" should actually be valance since a valence is a chemistry term. IE: "the combining power of an element, especially as measured by the number of hydrogen atoms it can displace or combine with."
On the other hand I think we all agree T@Bs do have good chemistry and tend to hook you in.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    How long did it take to compose that last sentence?  It's so cute. :-)
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited November 2016
    PXLated said:
    How long did it take to compose that last sentence?  It's so cute. :-)

Stuff like that usually just hits me by the time I am done editing.
    My wife is also accustomed to spontaneous bad puns and innuendos.

To continue this thread --

AC versus A/C
    AC is what your 110v outlets provide when hooked to shore power or generator.
    A/C is what you need running on AC when it really is 110 degrees in the shade.

TV or not TV. That is the question.
    TV is what to watch when you're bored or want a local weather report.
    TV (tow vehicle) is what your T@B needs hooked up to go home or head to the next campground.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    The TV (vehicle) got me - Couldn't figure out what people were talking about, made no sense :-)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The slash between the A and the C is very important to tell others you are speaking of Air Conditioning (A/C) and not Alternating Current (AC). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    This goes beyond RV-specific terminology, but it really hooks my valence when someone refers to a boiler as a furnace. The Alde is a boiler.
    2015 T@B S
    On a lighter note, shall we debate RV vs. camper again?  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    This goes beyond RV-specific terminology, but it really hooks my valence when someone refers to a boiler as a furnace. The Alde is a boiler.
    Scott.....I guess that like calling a power pole a telephone pole. There is a BIG difference!

Anyway, I've seen few references to calling the Alde a boiler. Most people won't know what a boiler is. I understand the difference, but most people know what I'm talking about if I say "and it even has a furnace!". 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    It's a "camper" - period, full stop, period :-)
    Verna said:
    Scott.....I guess that like calling a power pole a telephone pole. There is a BIG difference!
    Ok, Verna, you've reeled me in! At the risk of completely derailing this thread, what is the difference between a power pole and a telephone pole?

Around me the same wooden sticks hold up both types of lines, so I've always thought the terms were synonymous--kinda' like RV and camper.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
    edited November 2016
    And to get back on track, here's another one that is relevant: MSRP.

Automobile manufacturers are required by federal law to display an MSRP on their products. The law does not extend to RV's/campers. Regardless of what they call it, what you see (or are told) at an RV dealership is really dealer asking price--that can be any price the dealer wants to make it, and can vary by thousands of dollars from one dealer to the next. Let the buyer beware!

(I have been told at least one manufacturer does publish an MSRP, but this is done voluntarily as part of their business plan.)      
    2015 T@B S
    @ScottG, there are actually few telephone poles, those with only telephone cables (and possibly cable TV cables) on them. Most poles are power poles with electrical wiring and with telephone cables and possibly cable TV cables on them. The power wires/cables determine how large the pole must be. 

The telephone cables are located approximately 18' above the ground (unless going over a railroad track which would require them to be higher on the pole). The cable TV is located above the telephone cable and the power is located nearer to the top. 

So, if a pole is knocked down by accident or storms, the Telephone Company and the cable TV company repair techs must wait for the power company to replace their pole before they can perform their repairs. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN

I think I've found where the problem lies. The Oxford Dictionary!!

ve·hi·cle
    [ˈvēək(ə)l, ˈvēˌhik(ə)l]
    NOUN
    1. a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart.
      synonyms: means of transport · conveyance · motor vehicle
    2. a thing used to express, embody, or fulfill something:
      "I use paint as a vehicle for my ideas"

A T@B isn't really #1 unless one of you has figured out how to power the trailer wheels and steer with your jack wheel (front window or periscope mod required).
    However, a T@B is definitely #2.
    #2's a stretch though so I'm not sure I be quite that definite :-)
    edited November 2016
    Thanks, Verna--you have now straightened me out with regard to both telephone poles and (in a previous thread) screw shanks! I do like precise terminology--I consider it a vehicle for clear communication.  :-)
    2015 T@B S
    edited March 2017
    2. "I use a T@B as a vehicle for my dreams."
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ScottG said:
    It does make a difference if you are associated with the trade as a professional and are aware of specific terminology as most people take these things for granted, they really believe the terms they associate with these items/appliances are correct and it is more or less a generalization therein.  

The same is true for the professional as we use these terms loosely, oft times believe that others know them or should know the proper terminology or nomenclature and we banter them around as if it's business as usual.  

As Verna noted above, the use of "telephone poles" tends to irk me when I hear this via the news media as to me it shows their ignorance as opposed to properly identifying a pole as a utility pole.  The telephone pole terminology is most likely 1930's era jargon when our country was in the midst of a communications/energy revolution or upgrade, when poles were being set, lines, telegraph wire and phone cable attached to them, etc.  

Oh well, we beat this one up a bit....  Onward!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    edited November 2016

ve·hi·cle
    [ˈvēək(ə)l, ˈvēˌhik(ə)l]
    NOUN
    1. a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart.

A T@B isn't really #1 unless one of you has figured out how to power the trailer wheels and steer with your jack wheel (front window or periscope mod required).

So this isn't really a T@B Motorhome? :o

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
    Ok, getting back to spirit of the OP...

The glossaries provided by TabberJohn use the terms boondocking and dry camping synonymously. I prefer the distinctive definitions adopted by many on this forum:

Dry camping = camping without hookups, but in a place that provides services such as a potable water source, toilets, or showers.

Boondocking = camping without hookups or services.  
    2015 T@B S
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Lil_Lucy-no, that's an ADU-accessory dwelling unit. It can be carried on the Yakima!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Here's Legends of America's take on boondocking (lots of info): http://www.legendsofamerica.com/rv-boondocking.html

Lil_Lucy: You may be able to tow that behind your T@B in which case the RV term is dinghy. :)
    TabberJohn - Disagree with that article. Agree more with ScottG. But...
    Dry Camping - Camping in a formally designated campground with no hookup and may or may not have fresh water or vault toilets.
    Boondocking - Camping in the wild. Not a campground. Usually no designated campsites. Rarely any water or bathrooms.
    Disperssed Camping - An area where camping is allowed but no designated campsites other than spots where others have already been. Free to camp anywhere in the area you can get to.
  • irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    ... nothing to add at this time, but this thread is one reason I enjoy the T@B forum so much; keep it up! Always gets me a smile in the AM!

(OK, how 'bout the TV that won't start: "turn over" vs. "fire"....that one drives me nuts. Or, "motor" vs. "engine"?)
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 908
    I hope nobody clicked on this thread looking for a Glossary !! :s

Walmarting - Desperation Camping :-)
    Nightcrawlers - People that show up in campgrounds after dark, clank around trying to get set up and wake up the entire campground.
    Slugs - Nightcrawlers that use a rachet drill to lower their stabelizer jacks.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, Have had several Nightcrawlers come in late, leave early to avoid paying the required fee [$8.00 per night in one case, $12.00 in another], my thoughts...really? Maybe the Slugs scenario would be a better description! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

I thought dry camping was when you ran out of water and boondocking was when you backed your T@B into a lake in the boonies while nightcrawling.

• AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2016

ve·hi·cle
    [ˈvēək(ə)l, ˈvēˌhik(ə)l]
    NOUN

But aren't all the things we transport in our "cart", aka T@B, "goods"?  :s

I looked up "goods and chattel" and it says "all kinds of personal possessions" (Oxford Dictionary). Since "goods" is not specific, I think it's a vehicle because it' meets both criteria 1 and 2.  =)
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA