Options

Fuel efficient tow vehicle recommendation?

2»

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    TACOMAGUY said:
    Going to and from Ca and Az and back I got at best 16 in my Tacoma truck automatic transmission pulling my 2016 outback 
    While towing my T@B, I actually had one tank at 26 mpg with a 25 mph tail wind coming back from AZ in April. I double checked the mileage and the amount of gas filled because I have not gotten that before or since, even when not towing.  

My Tacoma doesn't have the mpg feature, so you'll just have to take my app's word on it!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    rfuss928, and PXL, I think you guys installed pedals, and are pulling our leg! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ericnliz, no they're not. The same thing happened to me in my former Ford Escape towing my Silver Shadow on the way back from Idaho in 2014. I had over 100 mpg going down a mountain on its mpg gauge, but I must have deleted the photo. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Just kidding! My old Chevy HHR used to do that towing my tent trailer going down hill as well. You don't want to know what my mileage is in my '72 Chevy 1/2 P/U. MAYBE 8-10 MPG, 92 octane but it's fun to drive! The 2006 Chevy Avalanche, since I installed the programmer, 13-15 MPG, but I run 92 octane in that one also. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ealdersonealderson Member Posts: 7
    I tow with an Audi Q5 TDI. 21MPG towing, 35MPG when not towing. Power is never an issue with the diesel. 
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    We're having good luck with our Highlander Hybrid AWD, averaging around 17 mpg while towing our MaxS Outback and 26 mpg when unhitched. 
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    We have a VW tiguan.  This of course is a gas engine, 2L turbo.  No problem pulling over mountains but we were careful re. RPM.  We watch the weight very closely so we don't exceed specs.  Our overall mileage for a 6 day trip was 18mph. This included mountain passes, scenic byways, and some freeway at 60mph.
  • Options
    GavinGavin Member Posts: 5
    My 4 cylinder tacoma yielded 20 mpg pulling my tab. Level terrain, cursing at 60 mph. (Possible tailwind)
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Was the traffic so bad? You got a late start? You realized you forgot your toothbrush? I'm right there with ya @Gavin, I'd curse too!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner