Options

DIY roof rack on T@B similar to Outback?

Hi everyone, 
Does anyone doing this modification?

jltab
2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Jltab - I put the yakima rack on the T@Bitha. The instructions from PV were simple. Measure 10" from the rear end seam for the first rail to set your screw, then the rest of the screws are 8" apart (those are where all the support rails are located). You don't use the pre-drilled yakima screw holes. Use putty butyl tape under the rail for a waterproof seal as you screw stainless steel screws to secure the rail. 

An 8' A-frame ladder was a must to reach - lots of measuring and remeasuring. Good luck!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Ratkity have you posted a pic of that mod on your Tabitha? That is the hardest thing to search for....when someone says they did something and you want to go look at it and it's not one the 10 discussions  they started but buried in the 1600 comments they have made.....wow 1600 plus is a lot of comments and I sure there a discussion about the top comment poster somewhere too.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Oiy.. let me check! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sorry, I couldn't find the post. Perhaps I just said I did? Anyhow, here are the instructions and few pictures I took:

• Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2016
    @Ratkity may I ask, what is the length of the track and horizontal bar?
  • Options
    Oh dear. I believe the bar is exactly the size of the width of the outside of the trailer (84"?). It does not extend beyond it. The bars are cut custom from what I can tell and the curvature of the railings was actually more than needed for the back, but when screwed down, it didn't seem to make a difference.  I can't remember the length of the rails!! Sorry. I measured my sister's Outback rack to determine how close to the edge to put the rails and made sure both rails were even and centered. I made tiny Sharpie marks that come off with a little dab of alcohol if needed, but the rail covered all my marks up.

The hardest part? Putting that stupid tire on the rack by myself and then realizing it wasn't centered and having to do it again. :lol:

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ratkity, Practice makes perfect! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Ratkity, Practice makes perfect! ;)
    I got dem biceps working lifting that 40# tire!! And also attacked a bottle of ibuprofen not long after....
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    JLTAB -  Unless you're already utilizing a rack on your tow vehicle and need extra capacity,  I would say it's not worth installing.   While we are using ours for bikes and camp chairs,  we could live without it.   It's one more avenue for potential leaks down the road, and with the angle and weight limits only marginally useful.   My .02c.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    db_cooper said:
    JLTAB -  Unless you're already utilizing a rack on your tow vehicle and need extra capacity,  I would say it's not worth installing.   While we are using ours for bikes and camp chairs,  we could live without it.   It's one more avenue for potential leaks down the road, and with the angle and weight limits only marginally useful.   My .02c.
    Thanks @db_cooper
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Curious if anyone has permanently mounted a solar panel on their roof rack?
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Just for fun, I put my 100W suitcase panel up on the roof rack (temporary mount over the tire). It's about 37# and was just as much as a struggle to get the tire up there by myself!!  It's significantly longer than the rack. I'm sure @Pop-T@B could figure out a design to put a rigid panel on the rack permanently. You might have to re-enforce the edging if you drill holes in a rigid panel. 

Since the places I camp tend to be shaded, I decided to do what PXL does and have a moveable suitcase panel. Sometimes I don't bring it at all, knowing the particular campgrounds we are going to have lots of shade (plus they usually have electric hookups, and if not, my group 27 battery does the weekends jaunts flawlessly). 
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Ratkity, my panel is only 24" x 30" and should physically fit on the rack. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Estancio said:
    Ratkity, my panel is only 24" x 30" and should physically fit on the rack. 
    I was putting it on the basket, not the rack in general. I think you can do it! Think about where you will run the wires (if you have Zamp or other controller). I was just fooling around and tossed them over the roof (25' of wires - MC4 connectors and controller in front bin).  

I put an 85W rigid panel on the front slope of my LG Reverse TearDrop permanently. Kept a cheapo battery in prime condition for 5 years and it was still going when I sold the little TD. Solar has come a long way since then!! Since my panel was on the front of the TearDrop, I made a cover with pink insulation board + titebond glue + chili pepper cloth over the entire thing. I only covered it when traveling just in case of rocks (used just plastic buckles on 2 straps to hold it on). I did a lot of boondocking and could pick places with sun. There wasn't any phantom power in my Reverse TD. I only ran the fantastic fan during the night.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with :)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,432
    edited February 3
    Ratkity said:
    Sorry, I couldn't find the post. Perhaps I just said I did? Anyhow, here are the instructions and few pictures I took:
    Your memory is correct, @Ratkity; in response to my request, you provided a very good description of your install near the end of this seemingly unrelated thread:

https://www.tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/45082

Also, the subject resurfaced in this thread from around the same time. It includes some good photos (courtesy of Cyclonic) of the aluminum frame members described in the install:

http://www.tab-rv.com/forum#/discussion/comment/45270

2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG gets the T@B University badge for best off-topic discussion memory!!! :clap: