Alde Winter Report

2»

Comments

• DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    PXL...when you say fridge vent...do you mean the hole in the floor (for combustion), the cracks around the front mounting inside, or the exhaust vent by the door? I presume the latter...and that you're not using the fridge on propane?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The gaps around the fridge top and the vent grill on the bottom of the fridge are where the cold air comes in. The fridge vent I'm referring to is the one on the side of the T@B forward of the door. If you look through the gap on top of the fridge you can see right outdoors through that vent.
  • SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Got an idea, attach the magnets to the metal or tin used to block the cold air.  Make sure the magnets are  aligned with the vent screws and epoxy the magnets and viola!  No ugly magnets on the T@B to explain to visitors.
    Hopefully I won't need to block this extreme cold wind for much longer - as soon as I get the replacement thermostat from the factory (installed and working) I'm heading to warmer climes :-)
  • gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    My new T@B came with a fabric cover that snaps to the four corners of the air conditioner vent. Not an airtight seal, but should suffice for the weather I anticipate for my travels.  I ill keep the information in this thread in mind, though. :-)
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,159
    edited November 2014
    Gil, that's interesting. I'd be interested in seeing what that looks like. Can you post a picture? 
    gilbutler said:
    My new T@B came with a fabric cover that snaps to the four corners of the air conditioner vent. Not an airtight seal, but should suffice for the weather I anticipate for my travels.  I ill keep the information in this thread in mind, though. :-)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Gil - Like ChanW, would like to see a pic.
    I'll get a photo in the morning and post it.
  • TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
    I love my Alde Heating system in the cold! We often are above 10,000ft elevation and the nights can get well below 25 deg. I upgraded my control panel to the new digital control. It allows you to set the desired temp inside the TAB and shows actual both inside/outside (I added the optional outside sensor). The best part for cold weather is it can be programed to automatically raise the temp in the morning so it is toasty warm when you get up! 

The one item I would like the Factory to offer as an option is an Alde floor heater. This is a radiator installed in the floor and runs off the heater. The floor can get pretty cold. Unfortunately this can't be added after construction and would be nice to have this as an option. 

Here is a picture of my new control unit.

John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    edited November 2014
    Yes, picture of your cover, Gilbutler.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Chan and John, Here are the photos.  I haven't used this yet (thus the fold lines).   
    Snaps, what a great idea! Easily make. 
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

edited November 2014
    Thanks Gil, 

I didn't know they were putting the ac unit on the floor in new Tabs. It seems the cover's a good idea for rainy or snowy roads to keep the splash out.

How does it attach - are those snaps? Is it secure enough for going down the road, or only when you're parked?

I wonder if I could retrofit it on our 2014...

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited November 2014
    There's one more place open to the outside on the ac box, on our 2014, anyway. 

Sticking through the roof, out of the ac box, is a 1½"dia vent pipe with a cap.

LG says that it's to help vent the ac unit... (?)

I doubt it would add much to the cold drafts you're getting PXL, but you might want to be sure it has a bug screen on it. Mine didn't, and they sent me one to install in the pipe.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 714
    John D - did you upgrade the control for the Alde yourself or did the factory do that? Since I haven't ordered mine yet, I wonder if that's something I can ask them to do when they build it.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

I did it myself, it was very simple. I already had my TAB so didn't have the option on the factory. If you haven't gotten your TAB yet, I am sure the factory would add the new controller for an additional cost. They are well aware of it but chose the analog controller due to cost. 

The most difficult part for me was getting the new controller. My TAB dealer ( in MD) didn't seem able to get the new part. I had met the VP of Operations for Alde US at the RV show and had his card so I gave him a call. His name is Joe Elwell (jewel@alde.us    360-608-4803). He is a really great guy and sold the parts to me. 

The digital controller needs a little larger hole in the wall then the old one. They make a plastic back plate for the new controller as well but I chose to make my own to match my maple hardwood. I also added the external temperature sensor. It plugs into new controller. You just unplug the old controller from the unit and plug in the new controller and turn it on. It self configures for the new unit, nothing to do!
    Here are the particulars:
    Part # Description Price
    3010222 Outside Temp Sensor  15.00-20.00 ? (can't remember the price but not much.)
    3010216 Touch Panel cable 18.14
    3010614 Touch Panel 186.70
    I think the controller is worth it. It has a boost setting for fast hot water (auto 30 min to about 180 deg then back to normal). The ability to program your temperature setting so it it self adjusts at times of the day you want. It also has diagnostic capability, lets you know when your out of LP gas, adjustment for circulation pump speeds, etc, etc. I highly recommend it.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

Mickietucs, by the way, here is a link to the manual that covers the 3010 heater with new controller so you can see the features.

You can also see the Alde catalog with some really cool items. 
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 714
    John - thanks for all the great info! I'll keep it in mind and may decide to go that route before I put in my order. The fact that it self adjusts when you program in what temp you want is awesome. Here in Tucson I've lived with an evaporative cooler for ages but only had an on/off switch --- finally got the landlord to install a thermostat so now it cycles on and off based on what temp I set it at ---- couldn't be happier. Having that same ability for heat when I'm camping would be a real plus. Michele
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

edited November 2014
    Chan,  The snaps seem pretty tight, but I'm not too sure about higher speeds with the sides not secured. I'm hesitant to try that. BTW, that's a Clamshell model, I don't know about A/C placement on others.
    Could be wrong but I would think good solid snaps would work while traveling - That's how boat covers are attached.
    A week after Ed and I determined my Alde problem was probably a bad thermostat and he'd send me a replacement, nothing yet. Must be short of carrier pigeons at LG. Hope it gets here tomorrow - have a call in to Ed - as I'll have a two day break in the weather to get out of Dodge and further south. Will still need heat though. Gottta go no matter what as the T@B is finally free of ice/snow but more snow coming Monday. Gotta get south of that snow line.