Options

2017 T@b S Alde Heat Circulation

When I see the videos online, I don't see the horizontal opening behind the bed for the heat to escape on the 2017 models. Could someone with a 2017 T@b S enlighten me on how the heat circulates in the latest model? 
2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There should be vents in your benches - thin slits for the air to escape. In addition, many of us lift up the board across the back shelf (when the bed is down) below the overhead back cabinets to let the heat escape faster. Some have put their own vents in that board.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    The 2017 models now have additional cabinetry on both sides for outlets/USB ports.  They also have a hinged shelf that opens to additional storage for small items.  Behind the hinges is a narrow opening that allows the heat to escape into the cabin.  Seems to be a better design than the slits cut into the front of the rear shelf.  These tend to get covered by bedding.  That's why those of us with the 2016 and earlier models cut additional vents into the rear shelf itself.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Yes, that slit is about .3-.4" wide and extends the width of the shelf. In addition there is a radiator inside the passenger bench with slits across the bottom of the bench by the floor. These changes were rolled out in late 2016. 

Heat from the Alde also heats the surrounding surfaces and they radiate heat into the cab. This system works well except for the bathroom which can be noticeably cooler.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    To help warm the bathroom, I simply turn the black plastic door lock closed (horizontal) then gently close the glass door.  The magnets in the door keep it snug against the black knob while allowing some airflow into the bathroom.  Really helps keep the bathroom warmer.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I thought I saw a shadow running along the back wall which looked like it could be an opening for air to escape...thanks everyone for all the help. Guess there will be one at T@zona I can see.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    TCretroTCretro Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2017 T@b outback version.  This is a photo of a vent I put on each side of the shelf to help with heat.  It works great. The grille is made of metal and a chemical used to create the color.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/TB-Outback-Trailer/i-8Ms69Z3/0/L/Metal grilles for heat outlet (2)-L.jpg
    2017 Outback, TV is now a 2018 Ram Eco Diesel
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    TCretro said:
    I have a 2017 T@b outback version.  This is a photo of a vent I put on each side of the shelf to help with heat.  It works great. The grille is made of metal and a chemical used to create the color.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/TB-Outback-Trailer/i-8Ms69Z3/0/L/Metal grilles for heat outlet (2)-L.jpg
    Very steampunk!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    A lot of heat is trapped in the Alde compartment.  Has anyone cut or installed a vent on the front of the bench area near the laguna mount?  I've been pondering that...
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options

TCretro said:

I hope you made like 20 of them because I think that's going to be really popular item... looks like it works great
  • Options
    It was somewhat of a project. The pattern for the grille itself is still on file for plasma cutter but I also made new wood trim, and some spacers had to be welded on to back of grill because of thickness of metal compared to the wood it was replacing.
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2017
    Smullis7 said:
    A lot of heat is trapped in the Alde compartment.  Has anyone cut or installed a vent on the front of the bench area near the laguna mount?  I've been pondering that...
    I'm in the process of adding a vent (with a small computer fan behind it) on the side panel on the right.  It is the surface that is 90 degrees to the long hinged top.  If you search for "Thoughts over Coffee" you'll see the research I did.  Here: http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4112/thoughts-over-coffee-installing-fans/p1
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    *perk* Someone say COFFEE!?!?!?!?! (I think that was one of our longer threads - how people like to make theirs). :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    TCreto, Nice job on the vent, and a great idea! Great solution for upwards air flow I think! You did say on both sides of the back shelf, right? Ratkity, you need to go get some more coffee! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I am not familiar with earlier models but in the 2017 Outback it has the hinged shelf along the back and under that is a small storage area that is held in place with two screws on each end and I believe 3 or 4 screws along the front edge. I removed that complete storage area to get to all the wiring under it and saw that there is a long radiator (forgot to take a picture) by the floor. There is a lot of heat that comes from that radiator with no real way for the heat to get out except a small crack between the back of camper and the wood trim on the hinged lid. If you wanted to see how much heat comes out you can take the triangular piece of wood off. That is what I replaced with the metal grille. Putting extra vents where the alde is located I don't feel lets the heat out of that rear area under the narrow storage area. This is a little wordy hope it is understandable.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    TCretro very nice work: Ours is not nearly as nice but it does allow a lot more heat to  escape. Tilted the back shelf about 2".i
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnliz said:
    TCreto, Nice job on the vent, and a great idea! Great solution for upwards air flow I think! You did say on both sides of the back shelf, right? Ratkity, you need to go get some more coffee! :)
    Yes I put the grill on both sides of the shelf unit. Thanks much!!!
  • Options
    Dalehelman, Brings up a question I've been wondering. How's your fan set-up working for distributing the heat to lower parts working out? Thanks
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    ericnliz said:
    Dalehelman, Brings up a question I've been wondering. How's your fan set-up working for distributing the heat to lower parts working out? ericnliz said:
    Dalehelman, Brings up a question I've been wondering. How's your fan set-up working for distributing the heat to lower parts working out? Thanks
    Haven't needed it since we got to AZ.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Now you're just makin' me jealous! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Now you're just makin' me jealous! ;)
    Throw a yellow snow cone at em!! LOL
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity, That's a looooooong throw from here! :s  Thanks for the thought though. Are 'ya close enough to hit PXL with one? =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Um, no.... I'm pretty sure the retaliation would be them flamingo skivvies hung up on my TH roof so high that it would take firehouse ladder truck to get em down. PXL would probably spend the $$ to rent a drone to do it - and then take pictures (backlit appropriately)!!! :lol:
  • Options
    TCretro said:
    That's the area that I am cutting out and putting a 120mm computer fan.  When I ran tests, it was clear that opening that side panel would make a world of difference in terms of heating the T@B in really cold weather.  Still waiting on a potentiometer to come in to finish up the mod.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    LauraRey said:
    TCretro said:
    That's the area that I am cutting out and putting a 120mm computer fan.  When I ran tests, it was clear that opening that side panel would make a world of difference in terms of heating the T@B in really cold weather.  Still waiting on a potentiometer to come in to finish up the mod.
    I would agree about the amount of heat that come up through those two side panels. Did you put a fan on both sides or just the one.
  • Options
    TCretro said:
    LauraRey said:
    TCretro said:
    I would agree about the amount of heat that come up through those two side panels. Did you put a fan on both sides or just the one.
    I'm putting it just on the one side (the one with the glycol tank).  I finally found a potentiometer today with a long enough shaft.  So hopefully, I'll have all the parts next week.
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96

Where is the Glycol Tank on my 2017 Outback!!!!!

Am I blind?

Dose it have one?

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    So some of you have seen that we picked up our new Tab S. As as we were enjoying dinner and checking everything out, I noticed that the Alde vent in the back is being hampered because it appears that the back wall piece was cut slightly too big and is bowing forward. Not sure we want to send it in for warranty work before the sun goes down on the day we pick it up?

When you push on the wall it goes back about the width of my key fob.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Jdcouple, your glycol tank is on the drivers side rear. It is boxed in by the wood build out on the drivers rear side wall. A couple screws need to be removed and provide easy access. We have a 2017 Sofitel. Hope that helps.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Don't worry about the wood @dsatwork. If it bothers you, you can always put a spacer or two in the bowed part to make it look even all the way across - bonus is you get more heat coming up from that main vent!

From personal experience, it's very hard to cut this veneered wood without splintering it to pieces unless you have talent and expensive saws like Verna. Your dealer will mess it up royally and call it a day. Let it go and enjoy sitting outdoors by the campfire. You'll be asleep anyhow after your long day of being outdoors, hiking, kayaking or just playing with the pokey stick in the fire.
  • Options
    @Ratkity my thoughts exactly