Options

Towing with a 4 pin wiring harness?

HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
Hi all!

My TV comes with a 4-pin wiring harness. If I use a wireless brake controller (like a Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller), *and* I know that a 4-pin will not enable my T@B battery to charge while towing, can I get away with using a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter to tow my T@B?

(*dealer is being a pain in the arse about installing a 7-pin, saying it will void warranty, etc... I just want to try to get functional for now and then find another dealer, an independent install place or even consider running a 7-pin wire harness myself at a later point, so just want to know if I can do it for a while on a 4-pin...)

Thanks!

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited May 2017
    Yes, it should work.  Legally it would still meet all DOT requirements.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,545
    You need a 7 pin for the TaB.  You can do a 4 pin to a 7 pin - check out etrailer.com.  You still need a charging wire run from your TV to the TV 7 pin to charge your TaB battery.  Although you do not need a brake wire installed as part of the 7 pin since you are using the RF controller, we still had it installed to be complete and in case of resale.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    You can certainly use the 4-pin to 7-pin adapter and as noted it will not charge the battery.   If it were me, I'd get a 7-pin hook-up and dedicated charge line (run back to the rear of your TV) installed on your TV as you will clear up all current issues and it will give you peace of mind when you are out enjoying your T@B.  The trailer comes with the 7-pin harness and you need a 7-pin receptacle on your vehicle for it to function as it was wired.  

I have used the Tekonsha controller (great unit!) and you will make your life much easier by allowing it to adapt easily to a vehicle with a 7-pin receptacle.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72

HR_Taly said:

Hi all!

My TV comes with a 4-pin wiring harness. If I use a wireless brake controller (like a Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller), *and* I know that a 4-pin will not enable my T@B battery to charge while towing, can I get away with using a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter to tow my T@B?

(*dealer is being a pain in the arse about installing a 7-pin, saying it will void warranty, etc... I just want to try to get functional for now and then find another dealer, an independent install place or even consider running a 7-pin wire harness myself at a later point, so just want to know if I can do it for a while on a 4-pin...)

Thanks!

Does the prodigy rf controller also need the 12V power?

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,545
    Do you mean from the TV end of the 7 pin?  Yes.  It plugs in between the TV 7 pin and the TaB 7 pin.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    The brake receiver module you install to your T@B requires power from the T@B's battery to operate the brakes, and to receive the brake signal from your T.V.

The module in your T.V. also needs 12v power but it gets it from a cigarette-lighter plug in your T.V.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Yes, thanks @Michigan_Mike and others... looks like the Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller needs power at the trailer end as well (in car can use 12v outlet) - and that has to come from the car's battery.  So if you use a 4-pin, you still have to run a dedicated wire back to the controller on the T@B. Yikes!

Back to the drawing board and will try to argue with the dealer again tomorrow to have a 7-Pin installed. :(

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    edited May 2017

HR_Taly said:

Yes, thanks @Michigan_Mike and others... looks like the Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller needs power at the trailer end as well (in car can use 12v outlet) - and that has to come from the car's battery.  So if you use a 4-pin, you still have to run a dedicated wire back to the controller on the T@B. Yikes!

Back to the drawing board and will try to argue with the dealer again tomorrow to have a 7-Pin installed. :(

Hard to make sense of the prodigy instructions

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Yeah, those instructions seem to be aimed more toward installers vs. the end user it seems.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    This gentleman has some good tips for pairing the unit to a vehicle.  I had good luck with this unit and enjoyed using it for its convenience. 

https://www.etrailer.com/question-51182.html
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ