Options

Do I need a Sway Hitch?

clinckclinck Member Posts: 57
I recently sold my larger trailer and included the sway hitch to seal the deal.. Do I need a sway hitch for such a light weight trailer? I am towing with a 2016 Kia Sorento V6. If I have to buy one, I will, it's no biggie but they are just extra work getting hooked up or unhooked. I don't know how well the 320S tracks behind the TV.
Advice is welcome, Please...
Chris and Toby, the wonder dog
2014 320S
2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I've never had any issues with sway, I just keep the tongue weight at about 15% she tows fine.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @clinck-quite a number of discussions if you search on sway bar. I believe the conscenus was none needed on the 320 models and smaller 5-6 wide. Some do remind us to watch the tongue weight to minimize sway. The search function works fairly well with a two word phrase.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    If you do end up with one go with the Anderson chain no sway system. Once set up its a breeze to use.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,547
    edited May 2017
    Of all the TaB forum members, I will bet you can count on 1 hand the number that use anything to prevent sway.  It seems to be an item recommended by dealers that are not familiar with the TaB.  We tow with a Toyota Sienna minivan and it tracks right behind us just fine.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    When we got our T@B the dealer said a loadleveler or sway hitch was not necessary or recomended. Stability has never been an issue for us.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I find load leveling devices a dealer-add-on and profit maker.  The reality is, you really don't need one until you're well into the Class III range (5000+ lbs), and if you're having a problem with sway below that, the trailer simply needs to be reloaded to increase tongue weight.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Wizard1880 is right.  We were having some sway last year, towing with a short wheelbase Xterra and tongue weight was light. I added a friction sway bar that helped.    Moved the spare to the tongue and added dual Golf Cart batteries, no more sway, probably won't use the sway bar now.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I have a 2016 Kia Sorento which is basically the same as the Hyundai Santa Fe and I too use the Coil Sumo Springs same as @dheverling and swear by them. I also agree with the 15% notion on tongue weight. Because I didn't like the way the Tab tracks at any speed above 60 mph with 10% tongue weight. Unless, you are storing boxes inside the Tab at the front or have moved your spare to the front or running duel batteries, most of your storage on the 320 S models is added behind the axle. So, I'm running with 315 lbs of tongue weight and it tracking really well. I have moved my spare to the front and have duel batteries,
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    clinckclinck Member Posts: 57
    Great..I'm happy with all that answered based on experience.
    Thank you!
    Chris and Toby, the wonder dog
    2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6