Options

Side Tent Opinions?

Hi everyone,

I am planning on spending almost three months in "Clementine" this summer with Jack, my Bernese Mountain dog in the Pacific Northwest.  In June, "we" will be camp hosts just south of Newport, Oregon at a kayak site.  June in Oregon can still be a rainy month and given that it has been a very wet winter - I am a little worried about one large fluffy wet dog for weeks in a small trailer.  He fits on the floor - but just ;).  

I have been thinking about ordering a side tent to expand our living quarters, but wanted to ask what others' experiences have been with the tents?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Wil

2015 T@BM@x-S "Clementine"  
Honda Pilot, Austin TX
Wil, Kevin and Jack, the Bernese Mountain Dog

Comments

• Options
    j_ntabownersj_ntabowners Member Posts: 133
    We love ours, like having an extra room. We can set up a queen size blow up mattress for the Grandkids and the dogs and still have plenty of room for a couple of chairs and small table.

Jim & Nadine 2015 T@b Max S pulled by 2016 KIA Sorento - East Wenatchee, Wa

States Visited Map

• Options
    WilWil Member Posts: 26
    Is it fairly water proof and what do you use to climb into the trailer?  It looks like the tent impedes the stairs?
    Honda Pilot, Austin TX
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,517
    You will need a portable step as the tent skirting covers the pull out step.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks!

Honda Pilot, Austin TX
  • Options
    Just a thought.  We plan to purchase the tent as well, but Tabbers report that it can get a little stuffy.  If you have electric - no biggy.  Keep the door/window open and blast the AC and fans.  We saw someone who had Pahaque customize their tent so that the entire front was screening and I believe you can have flaps added in case of rain.  All this so you get better air circulation.  
  • Options
    I am thinking that if my one side window is open and the front window is open, I should be ok?  Plus, on non torrential nights, I can open the roof top fan...

We will have access to electricity :)

Thanks!!
    Honda Pilot, Austin TX
  • Options
    Up in the Northwest you will be fine.
  • Options
    j_ntabownersj_ntabowners Member Posts: 133

I put a wrap around cover on my step that is essentially a small rug, then I use the Velcro of the side portion of the tent to split around the step (The Velcro sticks to the rug on the top and bottom at the back of the step.) leaving it exposed to safely use.  

I'll take a picture next time I set it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42956-Premium-Around-Polyester/dp/B01MZBXF11/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490979183&sr=8-3&keywords=step+rugs+for+travel+trailer

Jim & Nadine 2015 T@b Max S pulled by 2016 KIA Sorento - East Wenatchee, Wa

States Visited Map

• Options
    Very clever.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    We also have the add-a-tent.  You REALLY have to anchor the rods deep and tighten the cords that stretch out the tent, otherwise you'll get a dip where water collects and can leak in.  I've had to drive posts about 12 inches deep to make this happen.  I also have a clamshell model so maybe the different curve of the roof causes this.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    If you order one, set it up at home to make sure it fits, ours didn't. Sent it back to Pahaque, still waiting for it's return.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    I think Pop-Tab used a broom handle with something at the top to displace the tent and put the broom handle on a bucket.  This basically tented the dip and allowed water to flow off.
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2017
    We have the side tent and love it.  It is a bit warm in the summer but in the spring and fall this works to your advantage and the space is very comfortable all day.  We have a small pop up dresser we now leave in the tent for clothes storage.  We feed our dog out there and in the warmer weather we leave his bed out there at least for the day.  It is a great way to get him out of the way when cooking or cleaning in the T@B.  We have removed the folding table from our T@B and have a small pop up table that we set up with our chairs in the tent for dining when it is raining or is too buggy to eat at a picnic table.  Our pop up table will work inside as well when it is necessary to eat inside.  Being 6'1" I use the tent as a changing room so I don't have to dress bent over.  Being a backpacker and use to tents that set up taught and look bomb proof I was a bit skeptical of the side tent when I got it.  We have camped on very windy beaches and had it stand up very well.  We just angled the guy lines into the wind.  It has also done well in the rain but you have to be diligent about pushing the puddles off of it from time to time.  The biggest issue might be in the fall when it gets cold at night and water will condense or freeze inside.  We have had an issue with buying the ground cloth for it.  The first one was way to big.  We sent it back and got one that was just a little too big.  My wife has a canvas machine and has decided to just fix this one.  I would recommend using a poly tarp rather then ordering the factory ground cloth.  Over all we are happy with it.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    Thanks so much everyone!  I ordered the tent this morning - hoping it arrives on time for our June-September adventures!  

Honda Pilot, Austin TX
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Wil, if you have skeeters, the side tent will help a lot! At Assateague, the mosquitos were absolutely terrible, especially for the dog's nose, and we had to retreat to the side-tent to preserve his blood supply. The pooch is medium sized, and it's great for needed extra space. 

We have the Thermarest add-a-room and we love it, it's amazingly designed, discontinued a long time ago, but if you're lucky it's worth waiting for someone who's selling one.

It's got great options for ventilation, will convert to a large open or screened awning, etc.
    We also have been known to prop the center with a pole to help snow or rain run off. 

Highly recommended. We'll put it up if we plan to be in one place for more than a day.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Check the classifides. There is one for sale in Oregon wink wink
  • Options
    Update  - the tent is terrific in terms of giving us extra space - Jack's raised bed is out there and even on the wet Oregon coast, we are managing. I stupidly ordered the ground cloth along with the tent and it is way too big.  I am also in ongoing discussions with Pahaque since the tent is too long for the keder rail.  They have been very open to me sending it back - but since we are camp hosting at the coast for a month - I don't want to send it back until we are done here at the beginning of July.  I am disappointed that the color doesn't match the trailer at all....if they have to remake the tent, I will go sans orange trim...
    Honda Pilot, Austin TX
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited June 2017
    @Wil, What do you mean by the tent too long for the keder rail? I have a tent, and mine fits well. Are you going straight down from the top on the ends of the top keder rail at the "open" part? Got a picture for a visual? Just curious.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    The tent's cord that feeds into the rail is too long... by several inches.  The picture shows the extra.  The end of the cord is fed as far as it goes on the other side.  At first, I was hoping that it would shrink, but that isn't happening.  Pahaque agrees and is taking it back to repair it....
    Honda Pilot, Austin TX
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    We have the thermarest and love it.  We use 10 inch timber lock screws and cordless drill instead of stakes.  Much easier to remove!
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    SilverEagleJCSilverEagleJC Member Posts: 24
    Regarding the factory installed step and dogs:

I recommend using a step carpet cover of some kind when traveling with dogs.  My large dog (72lb shelter mix) caught one of her toe nails in one of the holes in the metal step.  She was able to stop forward momentum on the way down and only slightly tugged the nail.  It did not break or pull out, but she had a tender toe for a few hours.

Either a home made cover or store bought cover should work equally well.  I'm trying a home made cover first, and then will buy one if it doesn't work good enough on my next trip.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Wil, Thanks for the photo! I just ran mine straight down from the end, and took out the slack. Seems to work ok for us.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    The tent is great but set up/tear down times are a consideration.  For us, we use the XL awning for 2-3 day set ups and the tent for longer ones.  If you buy one, try it early for fit.  We didn't use ours for almost a year and found that the left side was about 12 inches short from the ground.  We took pictures and waited for our next usage to confirm that it wasn't because of the site leveling, but then it was beyond 12 months.  We never did talk to the factory about it so we are stuck with a ill fitting tent.  Like any tent, it gets really hot in the sunlight, so we try to use it in the shade.  It's awesome in the cooler months.  Everything considered, we love it.  We use a small micro fiber rug inside at the entrance to reduce dirt tracking.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    Since Jack is so big (and wet   ;) ), the tent really works well.  I am no longer being "rocked" to sleep with his panting when he is inside the trailer at night....
    Honda Pilot, Austin TX
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Used our new side tent this week.  A great option.  Also had rain and used a collapsible tent pole with PVC to eliminate roof sagging.  Inspired by PopTab.  Thanks PopTab!  

• Options
    So they now have a cross bar from the trailer to the outside pole - it causes all kinds of drips. Does this have the same issues or should I run to the hardware store??
    Honda Pilot, Austin TX
  • Options
    Not sure what you are referring to Wil.  Our tent came with only the long fiberglass pole used on the front wall.  We created the above system because the tent does collect water on the roof.  Even if you have the front guy lines taut.  
  • Options
    They now have a crossbar from the tent to the trailer held in by pockets. I'll try to take a photo later. 
    Honda Pilot, Austin TX