Advice for an upcoming trip, first time in the T@B

FloridalohaFloridaloha Member Posts: 68
edited September 2016 in Solo Travelers Hints & Tips
I am getting ready to drive solo 14 hours from my home in FL to a new little WV vacation house I bought, this time for a two week stay. I plan to take the T@B on its maiden voyage to make this trip. My goal will be to drive in daylight hours and, ideally, to stay in places where I won't have to unhook the trailer. I'm thinking I'll stay over two nights on the way up, driving about 6 hours a day. I will just be sleeping in the trailer and not camping per se, so I don't really care about staying in scenic places this time, just places that are safe and easy for me to spend the night. I do know I can stay overnight at WalMarts and Cracker Barrels (right?) but are there any other suggestions you guys have for places for me to consider that would give me an easy in and out without backing up, since I'm still kind of new at that? I don't mind spending money to stay in a safer or more convenient place. Power isn't a big consideration unless I still need a/c at night in Georgia somewhere. I'd think 6-7 hours will put me somewhere near Savannah. I can look up places myself but thought you guys might have some recommendations.

Also, because I'm not unhooking the T@B, I was wondering about eating on the trip, where one could pull the car and trailer. Can you pull through a fast food drive through with the T@B? I will carry enough food for the first day in a cooler, but was wondering if anyone had tips on eating on the road with the trailer pulled behind. I am fine with supermarket take-out, so that is always a possibility.

I will be doing "fun" camping in the future, this is purely to get from point a to b, and when I arrive at the new house, I'll be staying in the T@B until the moving van arrives.

I know this is very basic stuff to a lot of you, but I have not ever taken a trip like this before myself. I have roadside assistance for the T@B and the TV and also insurance for the T@B so I feel good about all of that. Plus I got a Good Sam membership.

Thanks!

Comments

• SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Floridaoha, we have driven most of the roads you will be taking from the west coast of Florida to WV.  If we were doing this we would do as you are stopping near Savannah for sure, and then likely someplace north of Charlotte, NC.  (2 - approx. 300 mile days and 1 around 200).  For us it would be the KOA South, Savannah and the KOA, Statesville, NC as we don't have a on board shower.  We just reserve a pull through site.  Normally we do not even unhitch.  There should be CRs and Walmarts near these locations I would think.  

We assume pulling through a drive through will not work.  Frequently the turns in those lanes are way too sharp for a car and trailer.  The ideal restaurant in our humble opinion, fast food or not, is located within a plaza or mall parking lot, even when not a beginner, and go in to eat.  We need the change in seating and use the facilities.

Our typical travel day is a cold breakfast and coffee before breaking camp, sandwiches for lunch on the road (best road side view available), and on a short drive such as you propose dinner in the campsite all from the Norcold refrigerator.  On a long days drive dinner is usually out as a break.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Good Sam membership will give you a 3 cents/gallon fuel discount at Pilot or Flying J truck stops (use the car pumps). 

If you have a smart phone, for me, the Allstays Camp & RV app is the best source of information (campgrounds, Walmarts, propane, Cracker Barrels, Grocery stores, etc.). I use it almost exclusively since I rarely make reservations. Ultimate CG is one that PXLated uses and he camps in a lot of small city and county campgrounds. 

If you have a computer, rather than a smart phone, you can pull up the websites for a lot of apps to find campgrounds. 

Michigan Mike has pulled his T@B through a drive-through. I normally need to use the facilities, so I park and go inside. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited September 2016
    When I called to get my T@B insured my agent specifically warned me to avoid drive thrus. She had a client that peeled most of his RV's roof off at McDonalds. Most drive thrus have less than 7 feet clearance. 

When stopping for lunch or a break we've had good luck with places like Lowes or Walmart with nice big parking lots that are easy to maneuver in. We've only stayed at campgrounds so far. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    This was lunch at a Red Robin this afternoon.  There were vehicles in the shots next to me when I pulled in. So long as there are two spots back to back, parking is a piece of cake.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I think you've figured right, driving no more than six hours per day. More than that becomes exhausting.

With only six hour driving /day it's worth finding a nice campground to relax at for that other 18 hours! Figure eight hours to sleep and the rest to get to know what setting up and taking down your Tab at a campsite is like.

It really is a nice way to go. Relaxing coffee and breakfast, a nice glass of wine and supper before bed...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    We'll be taking our from CO to PA in a couple weeks.  First long trip for us too.  We only have a little over a week to make it there and back, so we've planned to drive 8 hours...plus stopping at anything that interests us along the way.  I've got the apps everyone has recommended and the KOA catalog of their campgrounds.  The new 3" memory foam topper is all poofed up and I just made some straps today to hold it when it's rolled up as the couch back.  I also got the over-the-shower-door toiletries holder that someone recommended from Target.  It's great, but after trying it out, I think I'll be using it to hold kitchen stuff on the outside.  The hubby has a difficult enough time fitting in there...that would just set him over the edge.  :-)  I think it's going to be great to have our own bed and stuff there with us all the time with no carrying suitcases into rooms...no worrying about bed bugs or that you forgot something when you leave...and no worrying about where the next rest area is.  :-)
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Smullis7 - Good luck with the trip - You'll learn alot - Takes being in the road.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,448
    Rangergirl, the Teardrop shop sells a custom Tab device, the Removable Jack Plate.  It allows you to remove the jack and you have free access to your hatch.  It is simple and works great.  Extending your hitch may lower your allowable tongue weight.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Rangergirl I sent you a private message and tried to explain that process.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Rangergirl, I found an extra long hitch through etrailer. It's 16" from bolt on the receiver to the top of the ball. Long enough for my tailgate to come down off a 1/2 ton truck (long bed, but standard tailgate). This knocked my towing capacity by 1000# and not by half. For pulling the T@B and all I packed (appropriately distributed for weight) - 1000# less wasn't a big deal. My truck with the tow package can tow 7000#. 

If I hadn't had tiny campers for so long, I'd have never understood half of the stuff I was getting into... then I stumbled face-first into this forum (no Harvey or Harley bears were harmed in the process). This forum has given me so much information that I didn't know I needed. 

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes you'll be pointed to a thread with lots of good information, sometimes someone will be able to give a simple answer. The friendliness and selflessness of the people here mean more to me than just "forum friends" (even though @ericnliz makes me have to keep taking the T@B University course for "not drinking while reading the funny posts on the forum" over and over - aka the "monitor-spray" class). :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, Just think of those moments as T@B University "refresher" courses. =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @Ratkity - I agree!  I feel I know people from the forum.  They are not forum friends... They are forum f@mily.  Your name came up just last night at the dinner table.  When DH knows who I am talking about, you know this forum is a place for people to smile (or spit liquids)! :)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• LisamorrisetteLisamorrisette Member Posts: 44
    ok here goes, totally new to this. I am getting my T@B320 tomorrow a 2015. Towed a car once behind a haul I was younger and braver then. So I am reading lots of these posts to figure all this out. Do I need a name?

Furbug 2014 T@B S - TV Toyota RAV
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,913
    @Lisamorrisette, welcome and congratulations on your trailer! Everything is at first nerve wracking, then challenging, and finally an accomplishment and way of life. Although I travel as part of a couple, I am the primary driver and wandering soul. My DH is the always back it up and park it person. Enjoy everything as it is all part of the journey! Good luck with this. Please develop a signature line. Posting the year and model of your t@b in that signature line will help everyone else identify and clarify information you may need when you have questions. Then, ask away! Many resident experts here. All good folks with great info and much experience. We were all newbies once! -Denise 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.