Options

Another table mod

As others have found, the stock table in the t@b is way to big

I had an old folding occasional table in the closet so I took off the top and used it for my new table.  I did a fair amount of searching until I found a sturdy pedestal unit.  The wood top is rectangular and rotates depending on how we want it.  The entire unit comes out in seconds.

Comments

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    What do you use to fill in the space for the bed?
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Mercator said:
    What do you use to fill in the space for the bed?

Nut'n

My wife does not move very well, she has MS, so using the twin bed format allows her to grab her legs to help swing them over to put her feet on the floor in order to stand up.
  • Options
    Sandra said:
    Other folks can use the bed slats to bring the cushions in for the full sized bed.
    Yup, I have not decided yet if I'm buying the factory slats or just going to make my own.  We will only need it when one of our young grandkids join us.   When they get older I think we will spring for the tent option.  
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I never knew the LG factory had slats!
  • Options
    Sgtjohn said:
    I never knew the LG factory had slats!
    I have seen them posted on this site, a three board set; however, for the life of me I can never find them on the LG web site.   :'(
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Rad, call Elsie at the Pleasant Valley factory, 5:30 am to 3:30 pm M-F.  She's the "parts guru". The phone number is on the right under contact numbers.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Rad, call Elsie at the Pleasant Valley factory, 5:30 am to 3:30 pm M-F.  She's the "parts guru". The phone number is on the right under contact numbers.
    Thanks for reminding me of that resource 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    That's cool. I will try to get some when I bring my T@b out for work.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    That's the sequoia pedestal unit, right.  I've got the the pedestal and am building a 19X29 inch table that will leave 5 inches on each side of the benches, with two folding leaves that are 6 inches that will allow me to then use the table as a slat board.    I'll put up pictures when I finish redoing the table top (a 30 inch table fold down birch table from Ikea ($39 as I recall). Your's look excellent.  
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Be aware the slats from the factory are just the table top material cut into slats. They are finished the same as the table, with the metal edging and as thick and heavy as the table. They are very sturdy but really heavy and you need more than the three or there is space between the slats or an empty space at the end of the bed. I didn't get the table but traded for the slats when I originally ordered my T@B. When  I noticed I needed an extra slat (just had to cut it a bit for a perfect fit) I asked my dealer and he had an extra one. They are really heavy!
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I like the table very much!   Where did you get the pedestal and fixtures with which to mount it?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    radren said:
     They are really heavy!
    Good to know, I think I will make my ow.
  • Options

TABalong said:
    I like the table very much!   Where did you get the pedestal and fixtures with which to mount it?
    It is the Sequoia unit.  It comes as three different parts.  Different places carry it, I ordered mine from Camping World.  
  • Options
    Sandra said:
    Here's the information on home made bed slats.
    Thanks

I think I will go with boards not so wide in order to have more options on storage
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Just a hint on homemade slats. If you cut elongated hand-holes in them, it makes them so much easier to handle. I made some out of 3/4" birch plywood for a small travel trailer I once owned. I could grab them one-handed, and they didn't seem quite so heavy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Verna said:
    Just a hint on homemade slats. If you cut elongated hand-holes in them, it makes them so much easier to handle. I made some out of 3/4" birch plywood for a small travel trailer I once owned. I could grab them one-handed, and they didn't seem quite so heavy. 
    3/4 ply would Also be my choice.  The hand holds are a good idea.  

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    We could easily make slats and appreciate your comments.  Anyone with a 2014 T@B who does nor have the rails?
    The table is a good one, will go in our screened room until bedtime until we do something different.  
    Nice table, Rad.  Any tips for ensuring the screws hold steady?
    Thank you for sharing.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    judymac said:
    Nice table, Rad.  Any tips for ensuring the screws hold steady?
    Very good question.  The floor is not wood!  It is foam.  I used a corse 3/4 " threaded screw and predrilled narrow holes and filled them with non-adhesive latex caulking.  With the broad base and 5 screws, it is holding very well.  
  • Options
    Torres2906tabTorres2906tab Member Posts: 37
    Very nice table mod!  I'd like to get slats made and come up with a table option before we leave for a 2-week trip in February.   Wondering if there is a reason we can't take the bracket from underneath the existing table and attach it to whatever we come up for a new table?   I'm thinking the new table top will be rectangular just not as wide or long as the existing one.  Don't really want to drill new holes or anything in the floor.  We have a 2013 U.
    Elaine ~ 2013 T@b U, aka Lei-la. TV 2010 GMC Terrain
  • Options
    Very nice table mod!  I'd like to get slats made and come up with a table option before we leave for a 2-week trip in February.   Wondering if there is a reason we can't take the bracket from underneath the existing table and attach it to whatever we come up for a new table?   I'm thinking the new table top will be rectangular just not as wide or long as the existing one.  Don't really want to drill new holes or anything in the floor.  We have a 2013 U.
    I found the existing table bracket to be way to big.  It is well made, but it takes up all the floor space and is heavy.  
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

The table base is made of cast aluminum and subject to breakage.  This picture shows the condition of my table when I brought it home from the dealer (BTW, I finally had to replace the part myself after repeated non-response from dealer).  I'm sure it was removed and replaced for demonstration purposes on the lot, and you can see the resulting metal shavings on the floor.  You can also see where one flange on the base has been broken.  This system is widely used in the RV industry, and I'm sure they will be OK if properly cared for.  Just wanted you to be aware that they are not designed to be seats or to have a lot of sideways weight applied to them.

I have since removed the table and use a portable folding table when the need arises.  The screw holes in the floor are covered by a rug.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    There are not many things in this world ya can't break
  • Options
    Torres2906tabTorres2906tab Member Posts: 37
    Small folding table may be a very good option for us - could be used inside and out.  Thank you the idea, Larry.   Maybe later on we will want a table with a pedestal who knows.  For sure we want to get the bed slats done before we go, leaving the table T@b table behind.
    Elaine ~ 2013 T@b U, aka Lei-la. TV 2010 GMC Terrain
  • Options

Rad, that is so true.  I have no idea how mine got broken since it came from the dealer that way, and from what I saw it looked as if it were badly mistreated.  As I said above, it is a widely used system and if treated with respect, I'm sure will last a long time.

Elaine, there are many options for folding tables.  This is the one I ended up with.  It can be set up in many configurations including different heights and angles.  It can be used for eating or reading or a laptop.  I'm not sure it would be appropriate for more than one person, however.  It folds flat, and I keep mine behind one of the seat cushion backs, where it fits rather nicely.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    A while ago I came across a really nifty solution for turning the stock T@B table into a more versatile piece that converts to a coffee table and provides some more room to move around. It was posted on what I think was a European forum that seems to have been shut down.  After hunting for it all week, I finally found photos of the modification posted elsewhere.  It uses a four-way locking hinge to turn the stock table into a "drop leaf" table.  Especially for T@Bs with rails, it can be used opened up as a table or bed and also folded down to make a narrower table or "coffee table."  The top can be cut on a table saw and then reattached using the hinges. I may give it a shot after my T@B is delivered this spring, probably using a local cabinet shop to be sure it's done right.

David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Since I travel alone I had no need to turn the table into a bed and after traveling for a couple weeks with the stock table I found it too big and too heavy to be messing with so it's in storage. I bought a large TV tray/table at Walmart (Camping World has a similar one). Easy to move around, turn length or width wise and I just turn it upside down when traveling. Can't recall for sure but it was probably $15. Composite/plastic top so cleans easy. I then added one of those computer lap tables ($10 from Walmart). I can shift it to the edge of the table and all around or sit back with it on my lap. Since it has a lap pad on the back it sits up off the table a couple of inches and I can tuck things under it.
    It was just going to be a temporary quick fix until I figured out what to replace the table with but it's worked out so well I haven't even thought about getting something else. 
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    After my first solo trip, I ditched the table also... I love the added floor space. I use an old TV tray that folds flat for eating etc...I made my own  oak slats (5)for the queen bed for the times my wife accompanies me. 
    Nice mods though if you use your table...by the way my table made pretty significant impressions in the cushioned floor when using as the bed... Felt pads will help !
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    I had the local lumberyard cut a 1" x 12" board (spruce since pine was too heavy) into 5 pieces.  I used one of the two slats that came with the T@b for measurement but leave the very heavy factory slats and the table at home.  I use a birch TV tray instead.  Larry, I am not surprised to see what happened to your pedestal thing.  After seeing one of those at the dealer, and how wobbly it seemed, I ordered the drop down table.  I can then use it outside when I do take it.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    I would venture to guess that the table configuration is the most personalized item in the T@B.  Some use them for bedding, while some use the smaller bed configuration without the table.  Some set them up and take them down while camping, while some just leave them at home.  Then there are those of us who have stored the stock table and gone to something else.  It all depends on personal preference, and you pretty much have to make a couple of trips to figure out what is best for you.  I used a folding T.V. tray for a while, but found that the above folding table fit my needs much better since I'm usually alone.  I have a larger folding table that I set up outside.  I can say that my stock table was stored the day I brought my trailer home, and it has stayed in the shed since.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited January 2015
    jbug10 said:
    , I am not surprised to see what happened to your pedestal thing.  After seeing one of those at the dealer, and how wobbly it seemed, I ordered the drop down table.  I can then use it outside when I do take it.
    Most of the ones I have seen are the cheapo press fit ones, very wobbly.  The one pictured cost about 4 times as much and is used in the marine industry and is pretty stable.  

As for the broken one; my guess is that it was not tightened down properly.  After the leg is set in the three slots and rotated to hold it, there is a large threaded ring that must be tightened down on the lower assembly.  If that is not done I could easily see the casting breaking when the table was leaned on.  

We tried a small occasional table, it did not work for my wife. My my wife does not move well so it is nice for her to not have table legs she could kick or a table she could knock over.  I did use that table top for our mounted one.

it is cool that part of the T@B fun is finding what works for each of us.