Fantastic Fan Upgrade

I completed the Fantastic Fan Upgrade discussed in this thread to the 7350 kit. I found Amazon to have the best prices. I ordered it for 2 reasons: lower amp draw and quieter usage. The installation was not difficult but, was sort of a pain for 2 reasons. First,  the directions were not very good Second, stuffing the wires back inside, getting the plastic frame inserted into its space and screwing in the fan itself at the same time would have been easier with a second set of hands.

Here are my test results:

I one thing that bugs me is that the plastic insert frame is cream and the new fan is white. The same is true with the screw heads to the fan. It will need to be corrected. The other odd thing is that the fan does not move on either 10 or 25%. The remote is certainly convenient, but I could have lived without it. I did not install the rain sensor since I do not plan on removing the vent cover I use.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• RonRon Member Posts: 137
    A word or two of caution.  I just picked up a new T@B Max S about a week ago and tried to install the Fantastic Fan 7350 upgrade kit part number 807359.  It does not fit!  First off the lift mechanism has the plastic roller wheel on the wrong side of the arm.  Second, after connecting all wires and putting in rain sensor, I tried to put the new plastic cover in place and reinstall screws only to find out that it won't fit in my enclosure.  The 7350 has square corners and the one installed in my T@B has convex corners.
    I'll call Fantastic Fan tomorrow to find out what to do next.  Everything I read said that the upgrade would fit previously purchased fans.  I bought from Amazon and sold by Amazon.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Ron said:
    A word or two of caution.  I just picked up a new T@B Max S about a week ago and tried to install the Fantastic Fan 7350 upgrade kit part number 807359.  It does not fit!  First off the lift mechanism has the plastic roller wheel on the wrong side of the arm.  Second, after connecting all wires and putting in rain sensor, I tried to put the new plastic cover in place and reinstall screws only to find out that it won't fit in my enclosure.  The 7350 has square corners and the one installed in my T@B has convex corners.
    I'll call Fantastic Fan tomorrow to find out what to do next.  Everything I read said that the upgrade would fit previously purchased fans.  I bought from Amazon and sold by Amazon.
    That's interesting. It did fit in mine. It is a snug fit, but it fit. What year is your T@b? I wonder if they changed somewhere along the way?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    I had the same issue with my t@g. You have (seems most little guy trailers have now) is the clamp model. You can do one of 2 things. Call fantastic fan and they will send you a new enclosure. You simply move the electronics and such over to it. A few dabs with hot glue, just like they did, to hold the wires and a couple of small dabs of super glue to hold the IR sensor and temp sensor in. The other option is return your fan and fantastic fan, or another retailer, can get you the clamp style.

The opening is the same exact size. It's a standard RV industry 14x14 opening. You will notice that nearly all of the other fans are that size.

As for the arm, you use the one that was already there. It is the exact same arm as the new one. The roller is just in the correct place. The new arm is in case you have an older lid and it set up a little different.

Moving the electronics over and hooking up the fan took about an hour only because I was going slow. Now that I have done it I could do the whole thing in 30 minutes.

It's worth doing. It is quieter, has way more adjustability, has a remote, and a rain sensor. The biggest bonus, if you plan to boon dock at all, it draw less power from the battery.
    Forgot the add. The clamp style doesn't have the screws that go around the perimeter on the top, hence why it is called a clamp style. If you add a vent cover, you will have to drill the outside vent housing for the brackets. Not a big deal, just a heads up.
    Thanks hunter99.  I'll call them in the morning and try to get the enclosure to move the electronics.  Seems like the best solution.  I did a test run before I found out that it didn't fit and the slower quieter settings seem to make it worth the effort.
    I posted my findings to help someone else before they have the same problem that I have.  Jenn, mine is a 2016 model.
    Ron, I had to call and request extra parts because I stripped the screw that goes into the handle and it got stuck in the part that connects to the lid motor.  Their customer service is phenomenal! Sending to me, free, even though it was my fault. 

• HeatherMHeatherM Member Posts: 7
    The links in this discussion on the LG board describe the different types of Fantastic Fan upgrade models.

http://littleguy.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4003/fantastic-fan-upgrade-instructions-and-advice-roundup#latest

I just got off the phone with Fantastic Fan and they will NOT supply a replacement piece of plastic for me as they did for Hunter99.  They will only sell a complete upgrade kit for over $200.  
    If you have a clamp down style with rounded corners in white the correct 7350 upgrade kit is part number 807357.  The reason for not selling is that the customer might damage the circut board when moving from one piece of plastic to the other.  I bet the chances for damage are much less than having to throw it in the garbage and haul it to the landfill. 
    The lady I spoke with said to box it up and sent it back to Amazon.  I can't see doing that because I have opened all of the packages and cut the wires to fit and test run the fan already.  It just doesn't seem right to return it and try and get credit when it was not Amazon's mistake, I'm not that sort of person.  All for a one dollar piece of plastic, really.  I am having trouble with calling their customer service phenomenal.
    @Ron Returns are not just for things that do not work - Amazon will let you pick the reason for the return.  I am not a big returner, but would have no hesitation returning it if I were in your shoes. I can understand why they wouldn't want to perpetuate giving out the plastic.

Sorry to hear about that. The person I talked to early last fall seemed to indicate this happens a lot and sent it right out. I will say that another person had the same issue and he simply made a template, marked it on the plastic piece, then used a dremel with a sanding wheel to slowly grind the corners into the shape needed.

All in all I would return it to amazon. Just list the issue and then you should be able to order the correct one.

I will say this. If I wanted to really get the best of both worlds and not have to bother with a vent cover I would get the Maxx Fan Deluxe. http://www.airxcel.com/maxxair/products/fans/maxxfan-deluxe
    Before I return upgrade kit to Amazon, would anyone in the Phoenix, AZ. like a none clamp down 7350 upgrade kit for $100?  Works and is complete.  Going to order the one for clamp down style fans.
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Jenn - how quiet is the fan on the lower speeds compared to the low setting on your factory fan (I have a 3 speed model)? Did you figure out why it doesn't move at 10% and 25%? My 3speed on low is way too loud for me, will upgrade if the new one is quieter. Also, do you need to replace anything on the roof?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    It is much quieter, from my perspective. I think I did figure it out. I had pulled the rain sensor off (removed it from the jumper on circuit board) because I was not going to use it. When I spoke with FF they said that was probably the reason. Before I could put it back together, I stripped the screw and ruined the manual handle and enclosure so I am awaiting those parts and will know for sure.

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Jenn - do you need to replace anything on the roof? I'm trying not to disturb the seal on the existing flange and not have to put any weight on the roof itself by me climbing around.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    @OutbackAZ- nothing to do on the roof, unless you want to install the rain sensor. I am not installing the rain sensor. I will just tuck it up inside. 

Even if you install the rain sensor it does not interfere with the seal. When the lid is up there is a ledge around the fan opening. The rain sensor installs straight back from where the crank is. When the lid is closed this is all under it.
  • driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    Just did the fantastic fan upgrade today was very easy.  Only disappointment is there is no in-between on the vent opening when powered open or closed.  It has to be maually adjusted.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• 1222tmiller1222tmiller Member Posts: 9
    MaxxFan Deluxe would be a nice upgrade option from the factory
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    The MaxxFan Deluxe is available - all you need to do is ask.  We had it installed with the build of our CS.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    driftless said:
    Just did the fantastic fan upgrade today was very easy.  Only disappointment is there is no in-between on the vent opening when powered open or closed.  It has to be maually adjusted.
    I have not noticed this because I have the vent cover, which I love.

• driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    We also have the vent cover I just expected that there would be some control of the vent opening with the remote not just 100% open or closed.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

driftless said:
    We also have the vent cover I just expected that there would be some control of the vent opening with the remote not just 100% open or closed.
     I don't think I ever noticed, truthfully. I don't think I ever opened the vent part of the way and ran the fan, so maybe that is why. 

• PoodleMayhemPoodleMayhem Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread (and others) regarding the fan upgrade!  I just did my own.  One night with the noisy 3-speed fan and I was ready for something better.  I got my upgrade kit on Etrailer:  https://www.etrailer.com/RV_Vents_and_Fans/Fantastic_Vent/FV807357.html.  I couldn't find the one with the notched corners on Amazon.  Install was easy, especially with an extra set of hands.  Took about an hour, but would have gone faster if the neighbors hadn't come over to chit chat. :-)
    Laura
    2017 T@B 320 S / 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Santa Fe, NM
    3 nights and counting...
  • davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    My experiences with the Fantastic Fan people has been exemplary. On my 1993 motorhome they replaced for free plastic parts that became brittle and cracked from the brutal California sun. Of course every situation is not the same and they may have policies in place that won't make everyone happy.