Using side tent at RV park?

I'm considering purchasing an attached side tent for my 2016 T@B. When making RV park reservations many sites don't allow tents at the RV site. Has anyone who owns a side tent run into restrictions on when you can use your side tent or do most sites not consider this a real tent?  

Comments

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    Most campgrounds allow tents so it usually is not a problem. We are booked in to a park in Colorado for September and they had a no tents on RV sites rule. We called them up, they asked for pictures and they found us a slightly wider site than we were given originally. So it was not a problem, most of their sites are just on the narrow side.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    My guess is you would want to call ahead to be sure. A few weeks ago I camped at a State Park that did not allow tents, or stakes of any kind, even for awnings. Forgot to ask why, but luckily I had brought a free standing awning I could tie down to the T@b and picnic table to keep it earthbound. Double checking is never a bad thing! Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    several camp sites we have been to will not allow stakes for anything.  They said it was because of buried utility lines.  (water, electric)
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    Seriously? I can't imagine any instance where utility or water lines would be buried anything less than 24". Sounds like the personelle you spoke with really didn't know why and chose to feed you a line of crapola. More than likely it would be for environmental reasons.
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I have always considered it a "pop out" and no different than a pop up camper. I can understand any area that does not allow staking.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • AnacortesArmyGuyAnacortesArmyGuy Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2017
    It depends on the RV campground.  Some state no use of "non-permanently mounted to the RV awnings, and under no circumstances any staking."  I believe this may have to do with the concern about unattended canopies, etc. taking off in a thunderstorm and becoming a hazard to other campers. Others, specifically one I will be staying at in Livingston, MT next week, in addition to "no staking" of external canopies, etc., state that no personal gear can be left outside your camper when you're not there, including chairs, tables, etc., and one of the reasons they list is because of their grassy areas they maintain, as well as a safety issue.
    Mark, U.S. Army, Retired
    2017 T@G Max; 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
    Anacortes, WA
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I have been in a number sites where there would not have been the space for the side tent. You can now preview more and more sites, which should help. It seems as though private campgrounds are pickier about stakes than public campgrounds.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• AndiTXAndiTX Member Posts: 4
    Thanks so much everyone for your advice! We do plan to call ahead to confirm policies. Happy camping! 
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We've been lucky so far, I guess. We cook and eat in the awning so it would be a problem if we couldn't use it (it seems to rain every time we camp.)

Is it possible to use the visor XL freestanding, i.e. with the straps connected to the T@B? 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited July 2017
    @Photomom Yes, the visor is designed to be used "freestanding". There are two guy lines that slide into the bottom keder rail. Some people opt to stake those to the ground instead in windier conditions, but the xl visor is absolutely "freestanding" and would not be considered a tent.  I have two of them and sometimes put them on both sides of the T@B for two shade porches.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • BosoxBosox Member Posts: 11
    Hi Folks  Are there any recommendations for campsites in southern Arizona where a side tent can be fully utilized? Not looking plentiful.  Thanks!
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Bosox the beauty of our Tab 320’s is that they can almost always can be turned for a better view, etc. Would that make a difference?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • BosoxBosox Member Posts: 11
    I saw the reference to 2 out of 3 KOAs.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ha! Love  the Tab 'turnability'...

I was camping by myself, and at my first (and so far, only) private campground. It turned out to be sites packed so close that the neighboring site's sewer hose was right next to my picnic table.... Agh!

After sitting there at that picnic table for a bit, pondering, and trying to enjoy the view, I solved it by manually turning the Tab, once, twice, and then a third time, when it was finally perfect, and my 'back' was completely facing their back.

I hope they weren't offended!

(I never did put up the side tent. In too much of a hurry to leave!)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    At least once I've seen a sign on a row of RV sites that said "Back in only."
    2015 T@B S
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    We only stay at private campgrounds as a last resort. To expensive and marginally maintained.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • SebastianSebastian Member Posts: 23
    Dalehelman I'm with you...only stay in private camps as a last resort.  I stayed at one in NC that was too expensive and was assigned the worst spot in the park because I was staying only 1 night. 
  • SebastianSebastian Member Posts: 23
    I'm looking for a door awning for a TaB 2016 max Cs-S red & white..
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    wooper said:
    This is my first trailer for camping, but have always done a lot of tent camping in state parks.  When I look at pictures of many RV parks they look barren and packed with RVs. I guess I will use them, but only as a second choice. The state parks in Texas I have looked in to don't seem to have restrictions on tents, but space may be a problem.
    Texas State Parks allow side tents but the trailer wheels cannot leave the pad or designated parking area.  You can position or attach a screen room or awning anywhere on the trailer as long as the wheels remain on the designated area.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ