Options

Heat shield installed

Ipsar0Ipsar0 Member Posts: 31
I noticed the finish bubbling on the underside of the tailgate above the stove.  I guessed the gas stove generates enough heat to cause it to do this so I went out and got a 12x18 piece of sheet metal and mounted directly above the stove.  Just thought I would share in case someone notices this happening on their unit.

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Did you leave a slight air space between the two?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    no. why would that be necessary?

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There's also some decorative tin that would leave a little air space naturally - it can be found at most box stores. Using command strips would also give it a little more air space behind it.

Of course, you could always do what we'd do with our hibachi grill when we wanted it off the ground.... we had an old tire with rim... just put heavy duty tin foil underneath the grill and set it on the tire. Underneath never got hot at all. "Hey! Hold my ..... look at this!" Gotta love it. It's no wonder I lived through childhood.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ipsar0 said:
    no. why would that be necessary?

If there is no air space tha heat will just transfer through the metal. Consider a pan on an electric stove. If you lift the pan off of the burner the heat transfer is greatly reduced. Your idea is good but you need an air space otherwise it will have very little effect. IMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    One more thought on no air space. Without a gap not only will the heat transfer it will stay hot long after the stove is turned off.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    it will deflect the heat more so than the vinyl surface that was bubbling. Worst case the metal defector will tarnish.   BTW since the screws are spaced out there is a gap in the places where the screws are not situated...
  • Options
    It doesn't deflect, it  absorbs heat and retains. I would want a minimum of 1/4" a 1/2" would be even better. Your idea is sound 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    it can't absorb as much as the vinyl or whatever it is that is bubbling. Having someone in front will help somewhat.  Thanks for the advice.

• Options
    Your very welcome. Camp On
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    If ya want a space, try placing 2 or 3 flat washers between the hatch and metal for each screw.  Should give it some ventilation.  Just my $0.02.
    John
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    What about securing it with magnets?  The space would leave an air gap.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @lpsar0 is it magnetic? You can decorate with non-vinyl/non-plastic magnets! Sorry, just the decorator in me. I blame it on the decorators here. I'm normally a minimalist, but darned if I didn't make curtains for my camper!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    I don't know if sheet metal is magnetic or not.  Are the screws?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The area in question is wood underneath the vinyl covering. Would have to attach magnets by screws then attached the sheet metal (if its magnetic)?

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ipsar0, Sounds like in your case, I'd go with washers for the air gap, as I do agree with @Dalehelman and the transfer of heat. With the sheet metal, it might make an already not so good situation even worse without somehow dispersing the heat. Just my opinion.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    The bubbling I noticed is not all that bad. If the heat was  really intense then I would imagine the vinyl would have been worse off than it is. The metal plate will be better because the vinyl will not peel away with it in place. I don't really think it going to generate that much heat that it will effect the materials behind the vinyl (wood).  Definitely something to keep an eye on. I can still add the washers if necessary.

• Options
     :) Haven't heard of this happening to anyone else as of yet. I was just commenting on it spreading with the vinyl, not the underneath materials. Keep us posted as per your results of the fix. Thanks.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    going to test it for the first time this weekend.  Have had the T@G for two months now and still haven't had a maiden voyage yet.  

• Options
    edited July 2017
    @Ipsar0, What??? :o Two months, I'd be goin' crazy! High time 'ya got out there & started havin' fun! Have a good weekend and enjoy! B)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    will,  got  a much longer trip south planned for September.  This is just test run

• Options
    The vinyl bubbling could be the heat on the curved portion from the OUTSIDE of the camper. Man, it's been hot outside. I'd be more inclined to blame the weather than the stove (but it could be a combo).

I've really never had boiling water or anything cooking heat the front window or the cabinets above in the T@B - not that I've done much cooking. I'm more of a "heating up" type person. It would take quite a long time for boiling water to loosen the glue that far away from the stove unless you were using a huge/tall pot and both burners.

I've heard of some of the vinyl bubbling (not from stove use, but in general). You probably already did this, but a pin prick or two, depending on bubble size, and slowly using your finger, a plastic putty knife with rounded edges, etc to get the air out usually helps prevent it from happening again in that area.
  • Options
    Oh.. .just another thought. Closing the hatch while the stove prongs are still hot could do it. Heat shield needed with small air space (washers) is perfect.

The magnet thing was just decorating it :) I wasn't suggesting it as a spacer. I was in "Glamping" mode.
  • Options
    thanks.  I  bought the T@G slightly used. Not sure how the person before me used it for cooking. For all I know they may have closed the the hatch while still hot.  Like you I am heat up type of guy.  Will use a open fire to cook most of the time when I camp.  I'm not a cooking type of guy but it is still nice to have to put the morning coffee on.