Bed Hack for CS-S

As you know, the CS model has two long benches. Since I'm traveling both alone and with my husband I wanted to be able to create just a twin bed / daybed for when I'm alone (and leave it up) and then create a full bed with additional bed slats when my husband joins me.

I had to cut all the cushions in half so instead of 2 long cushions I have 4. I reupholstered and bought some matching linens from Walmart. I added a few throw pillows and voila - a daybed/couch during the day and twin bed at night. 

When my husband joins me, I simply add three more bed slats stored in the bench and I have a full-size bed. 

Comments

• 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @alchemist - very nice!  Cozy, cute, AND practical!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• swei0009swei0009 Member Posts: 18
    Did you relocate the lagun table mount? Or was yours mounted there ?  Lol we were just discussing how to leave the CS nap-ready.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    The DM clamshells came with the split side cushions.  We roll our pillows and mattress topper to the rear half and just set the two front halves up between the old standard two position table.  It's a quick switch in either direction and stores the bedding out of the way.  I was surprised to see the sides had been changed to one long piece in the new units.

• geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    Thank you thank you for posting information on this. It's always just me and my pup sleeping inside my CS-S so I might do this mod so I don't have to switch from sleeping to sitting.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • alchemistalchemist Member Posts: 39
    swei0009 said:
    Did you relocate the lagun table mount? Or was yours mounted there ?  Lol we were just discussing how to leave the CS nap-ready.
    Yes. If you lift the cushions you can see where the openings are for the two cushions and hence where the daybed / twin bed will be. I attached the Lagun table just to the right of that so if positioned correctly, all three seats can use the table (you lose one of the seats when you setup the bed this way. 

I had to move the electricity outlet back a bit just under the daybed / twin bed setup. The Lagun table mount sits right on top of the old location where the electric outlet was. 
  • Helen6547Helen6547 Member Posts: 1
    Any chance you'd be willing to show more photos of your table set-up? We have a standard table that slides up and down. Is the Lagun table the same table with a different mount?
  • alchemistalchemist Member Posts: 39
    Its the exact same table mount, but I purchased it from an English company and saved some bucks. I purchased the actual tabletop from Home Depot. Here is the link to that. 
    https://thd.co/2uQB2vo
  • MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    Alchemist. I would like something like you have but I like the fabric in the red 2017 Tab cs s.
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    rfuss928 said:
    The DM clamshells came with the split side cushions.  We roll our pillows and mattress topper to the rear half and just set the two front halves up between the old standard two position table.  It's a quick switch in either direction and stores the bedding out of the way.  I was surprised to see the sides had been changed to one long piece in the new units.
    I've been doing the same for years. I also have a DM with split cushions. I got rid of the old table, and actually cut MDF to create a solid base for our beds. This base is cut into two pieces. I use one piece if it's just me, and two pieces for a full bed if hubby is along. We use 8" of memory foam on top of the cushions.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Love the cushion colors, really pretty :)
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    For my single set up, I will make a set of back cushions 26 inches wide for the sitting area.  Then I will make 1 cushion that covers the bed slats and gap between the bench cushions and leave the bench cushions intact.  Since I don’t plan to break down the bed, there is no need for the second set of back cushions.  That’s my plan and I’m sticking to it!

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited July 2018
    SAM said:
    For my single set up, I will make a set of back cushions 26 inches wide for the sitting area.  Then I will make 1 cushion that covers the bed slats and gap between the bench cushions and leave the bench cushions intact.  Since I don’t plan to break down the bed, there is no need for the second set of back cushions.  That’s my plan and I’m sticking to it!

If you’re doing the full-time twin arrangement the back cushions aren’t really necessary. I put the back cushions in storage and just use a couple of rectangular throw pillows for back support on the seating half of the bench.  

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Thank you Marceline.  That is a great idea!  OK, now that’s my plan!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    SAM said:
    Thank you Marceline.  That is a great idea!  OK, now that’s my plan!
    Another tip: To make your bed in the evening pull the bed slats and the filler cushion a little (6" or so) forward  and shove the throw pillows in the resulting gap. It makes the twin bed feel wider and gets you out from under the cabinet. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab