Options

How to level the FIRST time?

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
Okay, I've added the stick on levels to my Amazon wish list and understand how to use them to level the trailer.

Now, what do you do BEFORE you stick them on? What is the best procedure to use to get the trailer perfectly level so that you can stick the levels on straight?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2015
    A long level that builders use - I think we had a 24 or 36 inch level - across on the inside floor wheel to wheel and then long ways in the middle of the T@b. Measure twice (ok a zillion times) and be sure before sticking the little ones on.

PS - we use Andersen levelers so we could do "infinite" increments to get the side to side really level.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It helps to stick them along flat edges like the window or on the side by the vent.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, find a nice level spot and do what bgualtieri recommends. Since the fridge is sensitive to left/right leveling, I put a level on the fridge frame. Have found that you get slightly different readings between floor, counter top, and fridge frame. Might just be a quarter bubble. I adjust for fridge frame.
  • Options
    Once I am set up and level with the bubble gauges, I find that I can adjust the level of the fridge (that quarter bubble) just by using the stabilizer jacks - tighten one side a little more than the other.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Yep, find a nice level spot and do what bgualtieri recommends. Since the fridge is sensitive to left/right leveling, I put a level on the fridge frame. Have found that you get slightly different readings between floor, counter top, and fridge frame. Might just be a quarter bubble. I adjust for fridge frame.
    Agreed

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Yeah. We were trying to level across the floor over the axel to get an accurate side to side level. I guess the fridge is the important piece but we didn't think of that.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    We concentrate on the fridge but if you're using the air conditioner, it might be better to make sure that drains properly at the expense of the fridge.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    We concentrate on the fridge but if you're using the air conditioner, it might be better to make sure that drains properly at the expense of the fridge.
    I have never had a problem if it is level. I don't think there is a vast enough difference between dolor, counter, or fridge to affect the fridge... of course as you satay, your mileage may vary.

The only 2 times in had problems were when I really didn't bother to level, at all.

• Options
    Just saying that since the fridge level may not match the frame level or air conditioner level, if you level to the fridge or the frame it may mean your drip pan might not drain properly.
  • Options
    gary!gary! Member Posts: 9
    We bought a nice level at the Dollar Tree for a buck. This works great and is something we stow in the t@b underbelly.
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    Nice level app available for smart phone for free on play store.  Works great but needs calibration when first used.  I find myself always using it all over.  Made a great hit at Dr. office leveling pictures while waiting.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I used our iPhone's level to get an approximate degree of incline of our driveway. The level functionality was built in-select the compass in extras and slide to the left to get the level. Didn't need terribly accurate info for my driveway dreams, just close enough.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    Compass app is separate for android.  I also use that all the time; to find my way from the refrigerator to the bathroom (due east right now).
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Following up to say that we never did put the stick on levels on. I don't think we've ever had the T@B in a level place! I bought a one foot carpenter's level and just use it on the floor in front of the fridge. It is stored behind the door next to the fire extinguisher where it is easy to grab when setting up.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York